Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 73 of 104123 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 102103104
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:24 am 

davidc wrote:I thought once that being a reseller would be fun, profitable, and would underwrite the collecting of fun rpg stuff that I enjoy... not so much in practice.

(Being at a competitve disadvantage internationally was a small part...mostly, it was trying to find the level of price/service that would satisfy most and still leave a modest 'profit' to cover my time... not easy, and my hat's off to you all for whom it's working :) )

it can be and is fun on the main part. sadly the small minority ruin it.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:12 am 

thanks to some very good investigating by a few of the cool folk here, i have added some more names to my blocked bidders list, that this guy apparently uses.

might be worth others doing the same too!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:41 am 

davidc wrote:I thought once that being a reseller would be fun, profitable, and would underwrite the collecting of fun rpg stuff that I enjoy... not so much in practice.

(Being at a competitve disadvantage internationally was a small part...mostly, it was trying to find the level of price/service that would satisfy most and still leave a modest 'profit' to cover my time... not easy, and my hat's off to you all for whom it's working :) )

Higher dollar lots and items. This way you don't have the packaging cutting into your profits. You can also flat rate ship larger lots for a price that doesn't turn away buyers.

Trying to sell $5 and $10 items is too low a margin unless you are doing it in quantity. Otherwise a $25+ lot for small items, and higher dollar single items or sets.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:11 pm 

Its a really crappy time to be selling stuff unless you have very good margins.  Parity on the dollars is great for buying but not for selling and shipping costs out of Canada to farther away states is expensive.

With larger lots you won't get the best price but its good for moving out bulk.  Ebay at least offers free auction listings with BIN (for 100 items) so you can set the starting price to be the base of what you want and give it a go.  But their end of auction fees always make it better to sell outside of Ebay.  I does often pay to list stuff on various forums to avoid the fees.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:42 pm 

New jackass to report:

johnymarket

He listed a worn OCE with a BIN of $65 so I snapped it up as I don't have one:  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Then sends me a note crying idiocy, that he meant to list it for $75.  I say I can't help that, but if wants to look into combining with other items, I might be able to make it up there.

He shows me pictures, there's nothing I want, let's move on.  He says he has more stuff.

Today, I get an ebay case opened that he wants to cancel the sale, that he made a typo and meant to list it at $165.  I refuse, give up on other items, and just send him payment.

Payment refunded.  So I've filed a seller non-performance complaint against him.  I don't know if eBay will do anything. Obviously I'll drop negative feedback all over him, but I wanted to let everyone to be on shady seller alert.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:46 pm 

Unfortunately nothing you can do. EBay do not ever force a seller to complete a transaction. Sounds like the guy is an a$$hole.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:14 pm 

Stupid people...  :?

One day, someone said to me that he had reversed its coffee on the books I have bought...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:04 pm 

Is that right that they can't force him to complete the transaction?

What's all this stuff shown to buyers about entering into a legally binding contract before they bid? Surely, completing the auction is legally binding?

What's to stop any seller listing at below reserve price so they don't have to pay a reserve fee and then pulling the plug if no-one bids over their personal 'in head' reserve? Blimey, I'm totally with The Historian all the way....

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:25 pm 

Anklestab wrote:Is that right that they can't force him to complete the transaction?

What's all this stuff shown to buyers about entering into a legally binding contract before they bid? Surely, completing the auction is legally binding?

What's to stop any seller listing at below reserve price so they don't have to pay a reserve fee and then pulling the plug if no-one bids over their personal 'in head' reserve? Blimey, I'm totally with The Historian all the way....

It is a legally binding agreement, etc but Ebay is not an enforcement service.  You can complain and the seller will get a "strike" against them - 3 strikes against them and ebay will suspend the account blah blah blah so the user will have to create a new one and start over.

There isn't anything to stop a seller from ending a listing prematurely.  That is what I remember TheDaleks (a seller mentioned recently in another thread) frequently did (does?).  I had bid on a number of items and an hour before they ended, he pulled the plug.  Relisted them 2 weeks later hoping for more action.

I'm not sure if Ebay still does this or not but back then, you could list your item and pay your insertion fee.  Then if it doesn't sell, you can relist and Ebay will cover the fees if it does then sell (I think you could relist 2 or 3 times).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:28 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Today, I get an ebay case opened that he wants to cancel the sale, that he made a typo and meant to list it at $165.

Is it a case or a request?  This is one of those "mutual decision" things.  I would choose to reject the request.  He can't then make a non-paying bidder claim against you.  Which means that he will then at least be stuck paying the final value fees to Ebay on the item.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:13 pm 

Yeah, I know there isn't anything I can really do, but I may as well take all the steps available - negative feedback, ebay complaint, flag him here, etc.

At a certain point, I have to question the wisdom in forcing someone to go forward - I'd probably end up with a poorly shipped product and have to go after my money for a damaged item.

So in the end, it sucks, but there likely isn't much to be done about it.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:58 am 

course another option would be to allow him to do what he is doing. agree to it and withdraw from the transaction and also mail him and tell him that you will be mentioning how poor and dishonest a seller he is on every avenue of forum you are on, where folk collect this type of product. he should have chose to pull the auction and relist it for the price he did BEFORE it finished. to then decide this afterwards is wrong imo and is breach of contract - how e-bay can allow that is ridiculous and just makes a mockery of all their policy making to ensure someone buys correctly and someone sells correctly.

oh and also DSR 1 the hell out of him and leave a negative of course, warning everyone.

chalk it down to "one of them things" and leave him to it.

imo you will always get another bash at one of them boxes...better to get it off someone else where you can actually rely on getting it :)

best

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:24 pm 

Hold onto your cards.  Open the dispute.  Calmly state what you expect.

No need to be nasty or angry or anything.

If he finally does come across...fine.

If he doesn't, rate him accordingly and leave feedback warning others.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:02 pm 

He relisted it for more money.  Screw him.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:54 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:He relisted it for more money.  Screw him.

That would seem to give you more ammunition in a dispute.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:04 pm 

SimperingToad wrote:That would seem to give you more ammunition in a dispute.

I guess it makes me even more right.  That doesn't actually *do* anything though.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:23 pm 

Maybe not super-shady, but in case anyone decides to drop some change on clrnc_s78, he either wont or doesn't grasp the combined shipping aspect of sending more than 1 of the same item in the same box.

Shipping options for 3 Dungeon magazines (3 seperate auctions won) like 3 states over:

Shipping and handling via USPS Priority Mail:        $35.95
Other shipping choices:       
USPS Media Mail:$10.26       
USPS Parcel Post:$28.95

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:34 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:He relisted it for more money.  Screw him.

Contact Ebay immediately.

Please post a link.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 73 of 104123 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 102103104