Shady Dealers
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:58 pm 

There was a small, small issue about staple rust on three Dragontree items I bought from him.

There is nothing shady about Tarumil...and using the same photo when one has boxes full of the same items is not an illegitimate practice.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:12 pm 

Thanks for the feedback guys.
He is a seller that I had not dealt with before or even paid much attention to his auctions until I started doing the JG Valuation thing.
I had been trying to figure out why a seller would stick with a photo showing heavy staple rust.
The only thing that I could think of is that most of those items have some and if a buyer receives one with less than that shown they would be somewhat pleased.
Glad to hear that he is not one of the "outlaws".

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:05 am 

Do these auctions look highly suspicious? shillbidding perhaps or is it just me. Look closely. The 2 auctions are almost identical except one ended a week ago, they both have the same high bidder:bobokii and the same seller:rphoenixgames both ids were registered 2 months apart. These are fairly uncommon items too. Here are the links:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:57 pm 

Some shady dealer news:  Noble Knight just bought out titangames.com!

Not sure exactly when it happened (I just found out via a thread at RPGnet), but it's on the titangames.com homepage:

Titangames.com and all of its inventory have been sold to Noble Knight Games of Janesville, WI.  Titan Games (owned by Marcus King) is still in business, but no longer using this webpage.

Apparently, threefreegames.com (Titan's closeout store) and the physical store are sticking around.  I guess this means Titan's out of the vintage game market -- maybe that means Tonya King will go away now?

WWW ICQ  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:13 pm 

Time to bring back the thread.  I reported this dealer today. Look at the similarities between our scans (mine was first), and the descriptions (again mine was first, and I didn't copy descriptive text, I wrote it myself).  Not earthshattering, but pretty sleazy I thought:

My item:

Shady Dealer's Item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-D-Dungeon-Crawl-5 ... dZViewItem

Notice the faint white "band" to the right of the Goodman games symbol....seems to be something unique to my scanner, but I can't be positive.  At any rate, I thought it was a bit lazy on the dealer's part to just lift my very sparse descriptive text instead of just writing their own....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:15 am 

Badmike wrote:Shady Dealer's Item:

The auction already ended; did he have a 3-day auction to cut in front of the other 51.5 auctions?  Did he steal your scan, steal your text, and sell the first 51.5 on eBay?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:03 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:The auction already ended; did he have a 3-day auction to cut in front of the other 51.5 auctions?  Did he steal your scan, steal your text, and sell the first 51.5 on eBay?

Damn, sure looks like it!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:57 pm 

On a random note: had a not entirely fun experience buying items off of abcdex.

While some items were truly in excellent condition, others were in less so -- and not in manners that were capable of having occurred during shipping.

Sent an email to him, and got back a reply about how I should be happy because I paid significantly less than the going rate for the items, thereby completely missing the point that I wouldn't have even bid had I known the true extent of the damage. :roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:49 pm 

Something seems a little fishy :scratch:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tractics-TSR-2nd-Pr ... dZViewItem

A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:56 am 

Hey look, its dandplayer selling yet another copy of The Condo of Dr. Demento:

:roll:

Ian, are you still sure the won you bought isn't a fake?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:08 am 

IttyBitty wrote:Something seems a little fishy :scratch:

It's Troll and Toad...what else would you expect?  The description for the item is grossly misleading.  You could get a decent copy or a hunk of shit...it's a crapshoot.  T&T did have two copies of the wood-grain Tractics up (this one has been in his store for several months; the other had a $150 BIN) and the more expensive one either sold or was pulled.

If you skim through his feedback (which is starting to look as bad as cougarrinards) you will notice the same complaints over and over:

not very accurate with condition of product...

Incredibly misleading auction. false description and false pics. NO response

bad condition, very high shipping costs

So not only does Troll & Toad mislead their customers on condition of items and shipping costs but it is also very apparent that they dont care much about their customers satisfaction because they apparently have a problem with communication as well:

CUSTOMER SERVICE NON-EXISTANT. PAYPAL COMPLAINT NEEDED TO GET SELLER TO RESPOND.

REQUIRED FORMAL PAYPAL COMPLAINT TO GET SELLER TO COMMUNICATE.

As scummy as cougarrinard is at least he communicates with his customers.  :roll:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:17 am 

I asked about the two Tractics boxes from Troll and Toad after losing the last one up for auction.  The $150 sounded like a nice set and the cheaper one is a bit trashed.

The one question that I never did get resolved with them is why is it a 2nd TSR printing?  I'm not sure if the woodgrains with GG books is a 1st and then all TSR books is a 2nd or if they have a bad stock photo and this is really a cream coloured box.  The nicer set sold so I left it at that.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:43 pm 

Not sure if I should put this here, but it seems as good a place as any:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0148235157

Not bad feedback rating, not bad prices...  Now scroll down, and take a gander at the lower-right image with the PayPal seal on it.

* You must accumulate a combined total of at least $10 in purchases.
Until these conditions are met, you will not be shipped. After 30 days you will be issued a $5 cancellation fee.

So, if the item doesn't sell for as much as they'd like, and you don't want to buy anything else, they still get $5 and keep the item. I mean, how hard is it to list a shipping price? :roll:

Last edited by g026r on Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:08 pm 

I don't want to be shipped anyway. I'd want my item shipped.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:00 pm 

serleran wrote:I don't want to be shipped anyway. I'd want my item shipped.

And that is the loop hole around it. Besides, I do not think that the authorities view extortion to kindly.

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:07 pm 

g026r wrote:Not sure if I should put this here, but it seems as good a place as any:

Not bad feedback rating, not bad prices...  Now scroll down, and take a gander at the lower-right image with the PayPal seal on it.

So, if the item doesn't sell for as much as they'd like, and you don't want to buy anything else, they still get $5 and keep the item. I mean, how hard is it to list a shipping price? :roll:

I've had nothing but good experiences with this store. I also think that this means they send you $5 (Don't know I always manage to find more than $10 a month to spend on their stuff).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:15 am 

I bought from Sci-Fi City when they were first online...they were the original "gougers" on shipping, as far as my own experiences. If I recall correctly, they were one of the first eBay auctioneers I came across that said "$10 or $15 shipping on the first item" - regardless of weight.

No problems with shipping, but my God, they made more from me on shipping than they did on the item itself.

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:31 am 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:I bought from Sci-Fi City when they were first online...they were the original "gougers" on shipping, as far as my own experiences. If I recall correctly, they were one of the first eBay auctioneers I came across that said "$10 or $15 shipping on the first item" - regardless of weight.

No problems with shipping, but my God, they made more from me on shipping than they did on the item itself.

That is a hard policy to keep up with in mail order. They probably did it to streamline things. I say that because now they offer free shipping on everything, (I do the same thing myself) and it really pays off. Not only with sales, but it makes buyers much happier about the transaction and makes the process incredibly easy (at least for me).

I don't think they belong in the Shady Dealers thread, but that's just my experience.

PreviousNext