Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 65 of 104123 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 102103104
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:34 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Look at this guys shipping charges. I can't believe buyers dont slam this guys dsr

Actually, why buy from him at all if you don't agree with the shipping charges?  To buy an item from someone who clearly states that "X" is going to be the shipping charge, then ding them because you think "X" is too high seems "shady" to me. My thought process seems to differ from some of you regarding this subject.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:40 am 

Doug Williams wrote:
Actually, why buy from him at all if you don't agree with the shipping charges?  To buy an item from someone who clearly states that "X" is going to be the shipping charge, then ding them because you think "X" is too high seems "shady" to me. My thought process seems to differ from some of you regarding this subject.

That's a fair question.

At $25.00, I thought that the target price was fair and reasonable (between my bid and the S&H charges), as long as my ceiling bid wasn't reached.

And if he actually paid 19.80 in shipping costs, I would have been fine with that.

Clearly that's not the case here.

Edit - Doug I quickly scanned your post and thought it was directed from my previous post.... whoops...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:22 am 

I sent him a request for a partial refund this morning.

I was reasonably neutral in my request.  :wink:

We'll see how it goes.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:20 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:So I finally got these two books in the mail today:

First of all, it's poorly packaged - Just the mailing envelope. At first, I see he only has 15 sales, so he's probably new at this, and although I'm upset, I just chalk it up to him being a newb.

Then I notice the price on the envelope that he paid to mail it to me (from Canada): 11.54

Now I'm not Canadian, so I thought I'd post this here. Maybe there are some other hidden fees I don't know about, as to why he charged me 19.80, when he only paid 11.54 for it.

Some advice please.

One of the most common newb seller behaviors is to jack the shipping price, or to jerk around the buyer on combined shipping.

They honestly seem to believe that this is clever.  They sometimes don't respond nicely when the buyer points out their behavior.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:45 pm 

FormCritic wrote:One of the most common newb seller behaviors is to jack the shipping price.

It isn't just newb sellers, online and mail order retailers have been doing this for decades. Not sure why eBay seems to be the only venue where this practice gets singled out as bad behavior.

Speaking for myself only, I always factor in the shipping/handling charges when evaluating a purchase or bid, whether on eBay or anywhere else. Total cost is what matters to me. What percentage of that is shipping/handling is irrelevant. It doesn't matter to me if a seller wants to charge me a dollar for an item and ten dollars for shipping or ten dollars for the item and one dollar for shipping. It's $11 to me either way. I'm not a watchdog for eBay, I don't work for eBay, and I really don't care whether eBay makes a profit or not, although I'm sure they are doing quite well. ;-)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:52 pm 

Doug Williams wrote:It isn't just newb sellers, online and mail order retailers have been doing this for decades.

What I mean is that newb sellers are the ones most likely to regard this as a clever gambit.

Established retailers and Ebay stores are usually pretty much up front about their shipping ripoffs.

Newbs seem to me to believe they have discovered something no one else knows about.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:10 pm 

FormCritic wrote:What I mean is that newb sellers are the ones most likely to regard this as a clever gambit.

Established retailers and Ebay stores are usually pretty much up front about their shipping ripoffs.

Newbs seem to me to believe they have discovered something no one else knows about.

Ah, I see what you mean. Yep, you are probably right.

"Shipping ripoffs"....that made me LOL.

The biggest offender for me was the Science Fiction Book Club. I was a member for years, and their shipping charges were easily twice what they actually paid the post office. Even factoring that in, it was still a pretty good deal, all things considered.

I like woot.com 's shipping policy. Shipping is $5, no matter how big or small the item is.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:48 pm 

GOOD NEWS!!!!

He is giving me a partial refund.

He says he overestimated on the shipping charges using whatever pre-calculations he did.

He seemed sincere about it, so it's all good.

Now to get him to pack his items a little better...   :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:51 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:He says he overestimated on the shipping charges using whatever pre-calculations he did.

It's that "new math". ;-)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:47 am 

Not 'shady' per se, merely lazy and doesn't care to hide the fact. My copy of Pharaoh just finishes, and this guy immediately grabs his and copies my text (making slight changes to make it look legit) in his listing.

Not trying to sway opinions, but the venting makes me feel good!  :D

Mine:  

His:  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:17 am 

SimperingToad wrote:Not 'shady' per se, merely lazy and doesn't care to hide the fact. My copy of Pharaoh just finishes, and this guy immediately grabs his and copies my text (making slight changes to make it look legit) in his listing.

Its shady enough that Ebay counts it as a violation and you could report it and the listing would be removed - at least he didn't use your picture too.

BTW, that looks like a pretty disappointing final value - quite a bit lower than I would have thought but maybe a sign of the times.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:12 am 

And it looks like his listing is gone already.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:01 am 

Mars wrote:And it looks like his listing is gone already.

That was surprising. Part of me would have liked to see it stay. I can just imagine, since there was no reserve, everyone waiting until the last minute, then plunking down a $.99 bid. But me being evil.  :twisted:

I suspect the low finish being partly due to NorTex, maybe also due to the 2nd print woodgrain running at the same time. Didn't expect to get a result close to the recent Rahasias, but better than what it did.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:15 am 

SimperingToad wrote:Didn't expect to get a result close to the recent Rahasias, but better than what it did.

I would have hoped for a result higher than the Rahasia since Pharoah seems rarer than that.  I think it might show that a BIN is more the way to go at the moment.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:01 pm 

Caution. Not shady, just clueless about D&D stuff by his own admission... and was willing to waste time & explaining why it wasn't his fault that 1/3 of the product was missing, instead of offering a minor refund (less than $5 I suggested):

Merlyn's Comics Games and Rarities aka goribob on eBay.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:37 pm 

FYI, don't buy from discodadda unless you ask questions first.  Purchased a couple of game books from him recently.  When I received them, found out that they have a heavy smoke smell and were shipped in a plain envelope.  He put a piece of cardboard in the envelope to make it more rigid but it still didnt keep the spine on one of the books from being damaged during transit.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:04 pm 

Beware shockwave317. Didn't recieve the book, sent a message. No answer, waited 5 days then went to resolution center.

He replied when they contacted him - "I have received your book back in the mail. However, due to other issues on eBay, I have not been able to reship it. I would absolutely love to reship, but as it looks right now I am not able to do so, until next Wednesday. I will keep you up to date, though."

I sent two follow up messages and no response.

Sale date: May-23-10 20:33:32 PDT
Seller: shockwave317
Case #: 5002675509
Case opened: Jun-14-10 15:32:50 PDT
Case closed: Jul-05-10 19:24:43 PDT

Pretty sad for a .99 cent book.

Michael

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:01 pm 

Any idea why the bids were cancelled and the auctions pulled at the last minute? Presumably either a private deal off eBay or the bids weren't going high enough fast enough. Either way it's pretty shady. Anyone heard anything from the seller? Are any of the other bidders on Acaeum?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 65 of 104123 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 102103104