Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 57 of 104123 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 102103104
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:05 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Here is something that IMHO needs to be posted here:

http://mxyzplk.wordpress.com/2009/12/11 ... big-crook/

I did a search on the forum and didnt find any mention of it elsewhere.  Based on what I read and saw in the linked .pdf, actionseller99, AKA Jim Shipman of Outlaw Press may be someone to avoid on Ebay.  Not that he screws buyers out of their money or doesnt ship merchandise, but apparently he has been using artwork in his products that isnt his to use.

I dont know about anything other than what I read, but if this is truth, the guy deserves zero support from me.  If anyone else affliliated with the industry knows anything more about this I would be interested to hear it.

I also wonder if the Tolkien Estate has any qualms about him using "Khazad Khizim" on one of the products. Shades of Balrog and Ent and Hobbit from the early TSR days.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:20 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I dont know about anything other than what I read, but if this is truth, the guy deserves zero support from me.  If anyone else affliliated with the industry knows anything more about this I would be interested to hear it.

Wonder if his stuff will become collectible some day soon . . .  :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:19 pm 

I did a search on the forum and didnt find any mention of it elsewhere.  Based on what I read and saw in the linked .pdf, actionseller99, AKA Jim Shipman of Outlaw Press may be someone to avoid on Ebay.  Not that he screws buyers out of their money or doesnt ship merchandise, but apparently he has been using artwork in his products that isnt his to use.

I dont know about anything other than what I read, but if this is truth, the guy deserves zero support from me.  If anyone else affliliated with the industry knows anything more about this I would be interested to hear it.

Follow the link to the PDF.  It isn't just one or two pieces.  It's a lot...and probably more not yet identified.

This is ugly.

Yes...it's probably also collectible.  :twisted:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:57 pm 

I imagine if Tolkien's estate found out, there'd be some actions taken.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:29 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I did a search on the forum and didnt find any mention of it elsewhere.  Based on what I read and saw in the linked .pdf, actionseller99, AKA Jim Shipman of Outlaw Press may be someone to avoid on Ebay.  Not that he screws buyers out of their money or doesnt ship merchandise, but apparently he has been using artwork in his products that isnt his to use.

Thanks, although this is not news. Over the years I've gotten the impression from the silent majority, with a few honorable exceptions, that distribution of pirated gaming material was AOK - and it makes little-to-no difference whether that's charged for, or not. Why RPGs should be "fair game" but artwork-theft (which was actually there all along) induces righteous indignation is a good question for the community in general.

I'm pretty sure he's shipping "genuine articles" without problems at the same time, too, otherwise someone here who just bought a number of comics 'zines from him is going to be pretty miffed.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:48 pm 

Not a big surprise.  I think all of the Outlaw press stuff is reproductions but Jim does have a number of original items as well (probably what he makes copies from).  A number of his items were produced without permission so its not too surprising that the cover art used for others are used without permission as well.

At one point he was claiming that some of his items were produced by another company called "Dragon Tree Press" and he gave me a name and that he had just bought their stock.  I asked around but could find anything about such a person and the real Dragon Tree Press had no such knowledge or any of it (or a competing company that had the same name supposedly from the 70s).

Last edited by Mars on Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:49 pm 

miffed is a nice way to put it... ;) I know he was selling "reprints" of a zine he had.. anyway we will see.. I didn't realise till after who it was.. fingers crossed..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:06 pm 

Mars wrote:Not a big surprise.  I think all of the Outlaw press stuff is reproductions but Jim does have a number of original items as well (probably what he makes copies from).  A number of his items were produced without permission so its not too surprising that the cover art used for others are used without permission as well.

*nods* There have been quite a few "third party" items on the site's stock list for a long time. I hadn't checked every last item or piece of cover art but "not a big surprise" pretty much covers it.

Ken changing his stance does seem a bit strange, though, since he was a /very/ enthusiastic supporter of Outlaw Press before, and well aware "that his (James's) concepts of copyright violation, and royalties for work done are nebulous at best".

beasterbrook wrote:miffed is a nice way to put it... ;) I know he was selling "reprints" of a zine he had.. anyway we will see.. I didn't realise till after who it was.. fingers crossed..

You're OK on those, Brette: the color covers are correct and by extension and sourcing the others should be fine, too. I presume you were aware of the comics content?
The letter was a give-away, btw. ;)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:16 pm 

no, but it wasn't going to cost me much to find out..
For the most pary I haven't aquired this stuff due to its.. um.. history and legality.. the Pandemonium have the right covers..
The auctions imply he is selling his own stuff.. getting out??

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:28 am 

faro wrote:Ken changing his stance does seem a bit strange, though, since he was a /very/ enthusiastic supporter of Outlaw Press before, and well aware "that his (James's) concepts of copyright violation, and royalties for work done are nebulous at best".

I wonder what the chances are that the fanzines he is selling were initial Ken's?

A while back when I bought a couple "Dragon Tree Press" items from him (that weren't Dragon Tree Press items) I also bought an original copy of Demons & Notmen.  At the time he said he had picked up another copy of it from Ken so I am guessing that he got a bunch of stuff directly from Ken.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:54 am 

This Canadian seller both buys and sells routinely.  I don't know if I am experiencing and intentional rude behavior, or if they don't remember sending multiple requests for shipping quotes.  Nonetheless, I contacted them at the end of October (after getting 8 shipping quote requests in a short period of time and I suggested that (s)he not ask shipping prices again until (s)he demonstrated intent and bought something.  

I cut and pasted the message I just sent him here in case anyone else has had problems with this person.... or if someone knows them and believes this to be a misunderstanding.  Also, when I block a bidder, does it prevent them from sending messages in ebay?  I hope so.. but don't know.

Dear pcdorney, Although I have no issue shipping to Canada and do so regularly, I do not know what to make of the spate of emails requesting shipping quotes for near identical modules.  With feedback of over 800 and evidence that you both ship items to the U.S. and buy items from the U.S. on a routine basis, I hesitate to state that I must conclude you have no intention of buying anything and are harassing me.  Since the items are priced with buy it nows and the shipping quotes are actual cost quotes, it seems unusual that you send flurries of emails (8 or 9 in October alone, and some for identical items) requesting shipping without ever completing a purchase.  Because of this, I have blocked you from bidding on my items and request you do not use this or any other account to harass me.  If I have incorrectly assessed the situation, since you have numerous email responses from me you may contact me via email, once, and only to explain this odd situation and if you intend to actually buy something.  I only point this out because I expect (and hope) that when I block a bidder, that ebay's system will not even allow them to use the system to contact me.  Good luck with your collecting.  However, when you know the price of the item and the price of shipping already, it is both disingenuous and rude of you to feign interest in a purchase wasting my time.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:03 am 

Pipswich wrote:Also, when I block a bidder, does it prevent them from sending messages in ebay?  I hope so.. but don't know.

Nope. :?  Not in my experience.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:31 am 

Based on this new information:  viewtopic.php?t=9610

Anyone thinking of buying stuff from this asshole should definitely reconsider.  I don't care if his stuff is quality or rare, I wouldn't bid on principle alone at this point.  :evil:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:26 pm 

The seller to which King refers has an eBay handle of selling4u2.   He currently has 153 feedback with a 100% positive rating, though that will take some hits if he has ripped off more people than TFM/Kynan.

Show caution when buying any counterfeitable Tunnels & Trolls items.

[Edit:  And he is also illegally selling print-on-demand T&T books using Amazon and Lulu.  Ain't technology wonderful?  :roll: ]

Last edited by JohnGaunt on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:48 pm 

WOW this guy is a real peice of work.  Somebody needs to teach that a-hole a lesson :evil:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:01 am 

I had problems with a recent purchase on Ebay with seller, lisas_stuff_too. Paid for item about a month ago, and never received it. Does not respond to emails.

Just negged her, and noticed she has a lot of recent negs....

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... ckAsSeller

Jorge

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 am 

Name rings a bell from here - can't remember if there was ever a good reason for the shipping delays. (and my search skills are letting me down :( )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:12 am 

I'm sure I saw that name a way back with dead relatives and various other excuses, think it was the sellers third re~incarnation too!

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 57 of 104123 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 102103104