Shady Dealers
Author

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:51 am 

Yes.  If these are reported eBay takes them down quickly.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:04 am 

pherreroca wrote in Shady Dealers:Not the only item being sold, but I can't help but wonder why this pops up every month or so? I assume a hacked account.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

It's kinda crazy, this seller is the one behind this, a Woodgrain currently up (same scam as Foul posted above) and they were also part of 2 other, TOTALLY unrelated, auctions I looked at (1968 Firebird part and a Spanish Revival table from the 1950's)...odd

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:48 am 

For those who can no longer see it, my link was to a sealed Rahasia (red version). I see this one pop up every so often as I have a Saved Search for it, but most often the posting has been taken down before I click on it.

I feel bad for the hacked account. Looking at the feedback before it was taken down, the account looked like a large-volume seller of Italian oil and other car fluids with a fair number of sales within the previous month, so it might have even been an active account.

I also noticed a lot of the items had multiple bids even though they all carried the 2nd pic (as shown by Lordan). You'd think the shady dealer would realize that inevitably someone is going to report them if they post many items with that included.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:24 pm 

Lordan wrote in Shady Dealers:
It's kinda crazy, this seller is the one behind this, a Woodgrain currently up (same scam as Foul posted above) and they were also part of 2 other, TOTALLY unrelated, auctions I looked at (1968 Firebird part and a Spanish Revival table from the 1950's)...odd

Same thing comes up about every month or so for Larry Elmore sketches (which he does legitimately sell periodically on ebay, they just steal his old photos for their scam ads). The seller name is always different, so yes probably hacked accounts. But same message saying no bids, buy off ebay, etc. I report them when they pop up and it does seem like ebay takes them down reasonably quickly.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:11 pm 

I know this is for shady sellers, but I'd like to share an experience I had with a possible shady buyer.  I sold him a paperback book and shipped it promptly a month ago.  Four days ago I received an e-mail telling me the buyer hadn't received his order.  Sure enough, I looked at the transaction details, and it showed where I had shipped it, but it hadn't been received.  I figured I was out of a sale.  Doing my due diligence, I went to the Post Office and inquired, showing them the tracking number.  They told me it wasn't a valid number, that it wasn't in the system.  Hmmmmmm...  I realized I might have entered the tracking number incorrectly and hoped I could find my Post Office receipt.  I did!  And sure enough, once I corrected the tracking number, it showed the package had been delivered back on January 27th!  Either the buyer forgot he received the package (not likely) or decided to take advantage of the situation.  The buyer is dere_capu (281).  He has no negative feedback, which makes me wonder exactly what my next move should be.   :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:22 am 

benjoshua wrote in Shady Dealers:I know this is for shady sellers, but I'd like to share an experience I had with a possible shady buyer.  I sold him a paperback book and shipped it promptly a month ago.  Four days ago I received an e-mail telling me the buyer hadn't received his order.  Sure enough, I looked at the transaction details, and it showed where I had shipped it, but it hadn't been received.  I figured I was out of a sale.  Doing my due diligence, I went to the Post Office and inquired, showing them the tracking number.  They told me it wasn't a valid number, that it wasn't in the system.  Hmmmmmm...  I realized I might have entered the tracking number incorrectly and hoped I could find my Post Office receipt.  I did!  And sure enough, once I corrected the tracking number, it showed the package had been delivered back on January 27th!  Either the buyer forgot he received the package (not likely) or decided to take advantage of the situation.  The buyer is dere_capu (281).  He has no negative feedback, which makes me wonder exactly what my next move should be.   :?

I have had about 4 different deliveries (I think 3 books and one not books) over the last 5 years not make it to me even though the post office showed as delivered. That's on a rough guess of over a few hundred deliveries that did make it fine.  I don't know if my mailman, neighbors or other thieves are just hitting me sporadically or what but I have not forgotten/lost 4 different deliveries, especially since 3 of them were highly anticipated. Just throwing that out there as another possible explanation.

ps: I swear I am not "dere capu" but I guess I could be as far as you know =)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:43 am 

I realize the Post Office makes mistakes, buyers make mistakes, and even I make mistakes!   8O

I contacted eBay this morning and they assured me that the case will be settled in my favor as they judge everything by the tracking number information.  Furthermore, I decided to add this buyer to my blocked buyer list.  Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.  I decided to not contact the buyer with any snarky comments or ask what the hell he was thinking.  I also decided to not give any feedback, as he hasn't given me any feedback yet (and probably won't).  It was a blunt reminder to remember to hang onto those Post Office receipts and to enter the tracking number correctly the first time.   8)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:34 pm 

It's also possible that the package was misdelivered -- it happens.  Especially since the buyer has no negative feedback (though I realize eBay tends to filter those out), and it was a low-cost item -- I'd be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:21 pm 

It'll be interesting to see what happens when he learns he's lost his appeal.  If he gives up quickly and quietly, I'd say it's more likely he was seeing what he could get away with.  The package was stated to arrive by January 30th.  It's interesting he waited over two weeks to report anything?  I don't know for sure what his motives are, but hopefully I made the right decision.   :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:02 pm 

I obviously have no clue what actually happened here, but I too have been subject to the ol’ USPS tracking number says the item was delivered but I never saw it.  This has happened to me a small handful of times during the last 10 years.  
Generally, if a seller ships me something and the tracking number that they gave me was current and went to my town, I won’t hold them responsible for porch pirates or USPS mishaps.  If the item is worth a nontrivial amount of money or is exceptionally rare, I’ll ask the seller to ship with required signature.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:08 am 

This is a borderline case between legality and ethics.

I found this auction:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I was not aware of the fact that this book has been reprinted, at first sight i didn't understand it was a reprint (but that's my fault!).

But then looking at the seller listing i had a suspect: i hope to be wrong but i feel this seller lists titles on sale for 10 as a reprint on the original website in auctions with a price of 12 without having the real copy on sale. If someone buys his auction, he then sends the order directly to the buyer from the original website... i got this suspect by reading the auction description...

I am not sure if this is not legit, it is likely legit but for sure i blame this model ...

Previous