Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 95 of 104123 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 102103104
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:42 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Shady Dealers:In 10 years of enjoying this hobby, I've never had to use a Paypal dispute...

cthulhu-hand-lukes_com

Ordered a book... seller couldn't find it, wouldn't issue a refund, & stopped communicating.

I finally had to escalate to Paypal to get my money back.  So at least I know buyer protection works, which is good.  But still a waste of time & energy.

This guy is awful. He is also an irresponsible buyer. He bought a copy of T1-4 from me, never communicating even after I tried reaching out to him. Finally I did an Unpaid Item Case, collected the final fee credit, left a civilized piece of mind on his Feedback (which eBay deleted despite being neither vulgar nor laden with four letter words) and blocked him. I would suggest others do the same.

This space can be YOURS if the price is right!!! (Okay, still working on this . . .  :p)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:21 am 

I just contacted a seller on eBay that changed one of his auction listings (see below) to allow International Bidders. I let him know about "Cougie", who is now blocked, but he asked about others. I told him about the Shady Dealers thread, but there is no list associated with it. Maybe we could put together a list that would be included with the first post that is just a "Beware of" list to the best of our combined knowledge as of (insert date here).

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Just a thought - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:12 am 

PM-Knight wrote in Shady Dealers:I just contacted a seller on eBay that changed one of his auction listings (see below) to allow International Bidders. I let him know about "Cougie", who is now blocked, but he asked about others. I told him about the Shady Dealers thread, but there is no list associated with it. Maybe we could put together a list that would be included with the first post that is just a "Beware of" list to the best of our combined knowledge as of (insert date here).

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Just a thought - Paul

I second this, with one caveat: while some like Cougie are universally distrusted based on  tremendous amounts of damning evidence over the past 15+ years, other choices may be divisive. For example, I can think of a few buyers/sellers I'd add in a heartbeat, like "bucklesbrown" and "cthulhu-hand-lukes_com"  but those are purely based on my own experiences---perhaps some of you have had good experiences with them? Anyhow, I generally agree with, and support, this idea.

This space can be YOURS if the price is right!!! (Okay, still working on this . . .  :p)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:25 am 

I know that there are a lot more eBay IDs than these, but this is a short list I culled from previous posts (see below). It should also be recommended to block buyers who have a feedback score of less than _____ or who have had fewer than _____ transactions. I think these guidelines and a list of eBay IDs to be leery of would be helpful to people who lookup about D&D or other RPGs they have to sell, find this forum & the item(s) they are selling (I am seeing more & more reference given to Acaeum lately in providing history & information about collectible stuff being sold), so they can be forewarned of potential pitfalls.

cougar_rinard
littleprincessfreya
moneyforoldrope2010
cthulhu-hand-lukes_com
she_wolf626
lisas_stuff_too!
jonb7839

As an aside, how does "Cougie" have a 100% feedback rating ... boggles the mind  PDT_Armataz_01_03

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:50 pm 

Funnily enough, the top 3 are the same person

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:15 pm 

Aren't the bottom three one person as well

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:19 am 

I believe you're right mate

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:44 am 

Yes, you are both correct. I did not have time to scroll through the entire "Shady Dealers" thread, so I grabbed these eBay IDs from the most well known.

I think it would be extremely helpful to have a static post at the beginning of this thread that lists the most well known "Shady Dealers". Since the title of the thread is "Shady Dealers", it is not an outright 'these people will rob you blind', but more of a 'fair warning' to people who buy/sell RPG stuff that these eBay dealers are a "buy from" OR "sell to" at your own risk.

Thank you - Paul

[email protected]

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:52 am 

I don't think this is a bad idea but have some reservations.
It would be very damaging to be on such a list without the possibility of 'appeal' within the forum conversation. I realise that this means that names slip down the list and off the front page but maybe it is just up to us all to make our own decisions and appraise each warning  as it comes up.

I would point out that this works in all directions. We know obvious examples of shady dealers but what do we do with sellers who you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole if they weren't an acaeum user. If you saw a guy who had at leasthe a couple of closed ebay accounts,  a 'delayed' kickstarter and issues with deliveries and promises what would you do?
As I say, make your own informed decisions and live with the consequences.

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:13 pm 

gyg wrote in Shady Dealers:I don't think this is a bad idea but have some reservations.
It would be very damaging to be on such a list without the possibility of 'appeal' within the forum conversation. I realise that this means that names slip down the list and off the front page but maybe it is just up to us all to make our own decisions and appraise each warning  as it comes up.

I would point out that this works in all directions. We know obvious examples of shady dealers but what do we do with sellers who you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole if they weren't an acaeum user. If you saw a guy who had at leasthe a couple of closed ebay accounts,  a 'delayed' kickstarter and issues with deliveries and promises what would you do?
As I say, make your own informed decisions and live with the consequences.

The obvious advantage with Acaeum users, is they can address their issues here.

I made a mistake on an ebay bid, but was able to fix it here because I am such an amazing Acaeum member, and everyone loves me...  :lol:

Those people that know of what we post here, like Cougie, have had an opportunity to log on and address their issues here (but don't).

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:38 pm 

I like the Shady Dealers thread and believe it serves a useful purpose.  There is room for give and take, updates, confirmation and confrontation.  You can embrace the content or reject it easily.

I personally have about fifty or sixty people I have put on my personal eBay Block bidder/buyer list, maybe more.  Anytime I have some give me neutral or negative feedback, or anytime I have someone request a partial refund or return an item, they get added to my Block bidder/buyer list.  The old quote, "Hurt me once, shame on you; hurt me twice, shame on me" is foremost in my thinking.  I am not worried about running out of buyers.  But posting all those ID's for everyone here provides insufficient context and probably hurts some people who just had a bad day....or maybe I was having a bad day.

IF we created a list, even a TOP TEN SHADY DEALERS LIST, for everyone to access, it would have to be a list of widely known and accepted shady dealers, but as recent thread posts have revealed, not everyone feels the same about every dealer listed in this thread.  People can disagree, and we can still have a useful thread for everyone.  A possible compromise of that would be for individuals to submit their own top five/ten/twenty list of Shady Dealers if they wanted, and then anyone else could submit their own list if they chose to do so.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:11 am 

I concur with the prior posts. My suggestion is a simple one.

Provide a static list at the top of this thread that lists eBay IDs that have a poor reputation with members (plural) of this forum (a consensus if you will). The list could even be just those eBay IDs that are blocked from being posted on this forum. It would be helpful, as there is no easy way to see who has been a poor buyer/seller. The description would be something akin to:

"The members of this forum have experienced multiple negative transactions either buying or selling items with the following list of eBay IDs and have found their practices to be at least "questionable". This information is being provided for reference only and is not an indictment against these individuals, simply a Buyer/Seller Beware. To learn more, please feel free to search their eBay ID on this forum in order to make an informed decision."

eBay ID List
cougar_rinard
littleprincessfreya
moneyforoldrope2010
cthulhu-hand-lukes_com
she_wolf626
lisas_stuff_too!
jonb7839
ETC

Thank you - Paul

[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:28 am 

Please Note: I do not think the following eBay ID is a "Shady Dealer", but just someone to either avoid or be aware if you plan on transacting with them.

What Occurred: Submitted 'Best Offer' on two (2) items. Seller countered & I made another offer and agreed to the other. Seller agreed to my counter offer.
Both items were offered with Free Shipping. I paid for both items and included a message with payment as I have done with ALL of my several thousand purchases.
My message, as some here have seen, is one I keep in Notepad, so I can just Copy/Paste. The messages asks to please package the items safely & securely and to write "Do Not Bend" or "Handle with Care" to insure the items arrive in their current conditions.

The transaction was cancelled by the seller and the reason given was:
"I saw your added requirements for shipping. As they raise the cost of shipping, these really needed to be discussed ahead of payment, at least, if not prior to purchase. As I specified in the listing, there is to be no negotiation after the fact, and these requirements certainly fit that. I will take your added request as your desire to cancel out. Sorry this didn't work out."

I do not see how asking to take care in shipping is a "negotiation", but to the seller it apparently is. Here is the seller's "Out Clause" in all listings:
"NO NEGOTIATING AFTER THE AUCTION, PLEASE! Ask questions before the close - don't assume.  Once you have bid, you are agreeing to the terms stipulated.  Charges are incurred just to list an item, so backing out incurs a loss and a cost to you.  If you are some sort of post-auction, haggle-junkie, please do not look for a fix here."

"FINALLY:  I reserve the right to void the auction after closing for reasons of "difficulty".  I do this for fun -- well, clearing out mathoms - not profit…"

That last one is amazing ... basically, if the seller feels you are being "DIFFICULT", your 'binding transaction' can be voided at will ... since 'difficult' is subjective.
Obviously this is a violation of eBay Policies and the main reason for this post.

eBay ID: Mathomend
eBay Listings: ** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Thank you - Paul

[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:03 pm 

PM-Knight wrote in Shady Dealers:Please Note: I do not think the following eBay ID is a "Shady Dealer", but just someone to either avoid or be aware if you plan on transacting with them.

What Occurred: Submitted 'Best Offer' on two (2) items. Seller countered & I made another offer and agreed to the other. Seller agreed to my counter offer.
Both items were offered with Free Shipping. I paid for both items and included a message with payment as I have done with ALL of my several thousand purchases.
My message, as some here have seen, is one I keep in Notepad, so I can just Copy/Paste. The messages asks to please package the items safely & securely and to write "Do Not Bend" or "Handle with Care" to insure the items arrive in their current conditions.

The transaction was cancelled by the seller and the reason given was:
"I saw your added requirements for shipping. As they raise the cost of shipping, these really needed to be discussed ahead of payment, at least, if not prior to purchase. As I specified in the listing, there is to be no negotiation after the fact, and these requirements certainly fit that. I will take your added request as your desire to cancel out. Sorry this didn't work out."

I do not see how asking to take care in shipping is a "negotiation", but to the seller it apparently is. Here is the seller's "Out Clause" in all listings:
"NO NEGOTIATING AFTER THE AUCTION, PLEASE! Ask questions before the close - don't assume.  Once you have bid, you are agreeing to the terms stipulated.  Charges are incurred just to list an item, so backing out incurs a loss and a cost to you.  If you are some sort of post-auction, haggle-junkie, please do not look for a fix here."

"FINALLY:  I reserve the right to void the auction after closing for reasons of "difficulty".  I do this for fun -- well, clearing out mathoms - not profit…"

That last one is amazing ... basically, if the seller feels you are being "DIFFICULT", your 'binding transaction' can be voided at will ... since 'difficult' is subjective.
Obviously this is a violation of eBay Policies and the main reason for this post.

eBay ID: Mathomend
eBay Listings: ** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Thank you - Paul

Hmmm. It is good that he does list specific rules (I do that on my listings, as well) but he probably could benefit from displaying more tact and friendliness. Perhaps he could have taken a good look at your buyer feedback along with the feedback you have left out for sellers (and realized you are NOT a scammer), and then reached out to you in a one-time effort to work something out? Being overly snappy and judging isn't good for a seller trying to get repeat business. If this seller reads these forums, or is in fact on here---yes, you do need to cover your ass, particularly with international orders (although it looks like he does US-only shipping), but more important you need to be patient and flexible with buyers who are eager and good-willed but perhaps did a human error by not reading every detail of the rules and letting it all register. This happens to everyone once in a while. We all mess up over small things, every now and then. In this case "shady" may be something he is trying to avoid by having those rules, but by not reaching out to talk to you prior to the cancellations, he undermines his own desirability as a seller.  Of course, it only takes a minute to put some friendlier language in those rules lists, so people are informed but not accidentally intimidated. Even on eBay, legit good customer service goes a long, long way. have some patience and flexibility without veering into grey areas or blurred lines.

---Pauly

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:44 am 

Buyer Beware! Not only did this person add new shrinkwrap to a used item, but he also freely acknowledges it like this isn't a big deal. He also has it listed as "New". This seller is part of the reason why there are fake shrinkwraps, to begin with. AVOID.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:30 pm 

PaulyDragon wrote in Shady Dealers:Buyer Beware! Not only did this person add new shrinkwrap to a used item, but he also freely acknowledges it like this isn't a big deal. He also has it listed as "New". This seller is part of the reason why there are fake shrinkwraps, to begin with. AVOID.

Dungeons & Dragons Basic Rules Box Set #1011 TSR 1981 Used In Good Condition 46363010119 | eBay

I bought this because the box looked ok. I took the shrink off as soon as i got it. The rule book and B2 were in perfect condition. It also included a Epic illustrated magazine in nice condition. (Its time for me to go look this up. I dont know what it is.) No dice or crayon. The listing did say it was re-wrapped. What can I say, I roll the dice sometimes. :)

Edit: He also accepted a best offer $25 flat.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:51 pm 

PaulyDragon wrote in Shady Dealers:Buyer Beware! Not only did this person add new shrinkwrap to a used item, but he also freely acknowledges it like this isn't a big deal. He also has it listed as "New". This seller is part of the reason why there are fake shrinkwraps, to begin with. AVOID.

Not only did the seller state clearly it was re-wrapped it is obvious looking at it.

I don't agree with re-wrapping in any way shape or form on old collectibles. Given the shrink market these days I find it misleading at best but not sure it throws them in the "shady dealer" category yet. What was the initial buy it now price? Maybe he was hoping someone would jump but utlimately a $25 best offer isn't bad if contents are minty. Did it have dice too?

I don't see this very often although I know some folks think everything in shrink has been re-wrapped. lol

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:59 pm 

PM-Knight wrote in Shady Dealers:I concur with the prior posts. My suggestion is a simple one.

Provide a static list at the top of this thread that lists eBay IDs that have a poor reputation with members (plural) of this forum (a consensus if you will). The list could even be just those eBay IDs that are blocked from being posted on this forum. It would be helpful, as there is no easy way to see who has been a poor buyer/seller. The description would be something akin to:

"The members of this forum have experienced multiple negative transactions either buying or selling items with the following list of eBay IDs and have found their practices to be at least "questionable". This information is being provided for reference only and is not an indictment against these individuals, simply a Buyer/Seller Beware. To learn more, please feel free to search their eBay ID on this forum in order to make an informed decision."

eBay ID List
cougar_rinard
littleprincessfreya
moneyforoldrope2010
cthulhu-hand-lukes_com
she_wolf626
lisas_stuff_too!
jonb7839
ETC

Thank you - Paul

I had a few items from she_wolf626 on my watch list. Reminds me I need to visit here more often. Seller feedback isn't terrible, how did they end up on the shady dealers list?

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 95 of 104123 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 102103104