Shady Dealers
Author

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:52 am 

In the fine tradition of the previous thread -- a community watchlist of RPG dealers and sellers to be aware of.

It should be obvious that the *opinions* expressed herein are of the individual posters.  It doesn't mean it's true.  Also, be aware that many sellers read these forums, so be prepared to defend yourself if you're making accusations....

Foul

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:47 am 

Badmike wrote:

Hell, I'll volunteer to be the one who emails these guys and says something like "Hello! Nice to see you have used the Acaeum descriptions as part of your item description on ebay. It would be appreciated if you".....blah blah blah fill in the blanks if it would help. Maybe we could take turns......

Mike B.

Sorry, I missed this thread yesterday, but it brings up some of the IP issues that were discussed recently in the H3 thread viewtopic.php?t=5552&postdays=0&postorder= asc&start=0.  I believe Badmike's suggestion is an excellent idea.  Many of you have spent countless hours compiling the information for the Acaeum and do not deserve to have your efforts and/or IP boggarted in an auction listing without at least a passing reference or credit to this site.  After re-reading the 'Credits & Legal' page, it is quite clear that if you quote from or use a scan from this site, then you need to have prior written permission from either the webmaster or the original contributor to use their work.  I would imagine in practice this almost never happens.  My guess is that when someone is trying to come up with the verbiage for their auction listing just to unload a few old books from their childhood, they a) copy from a similar auction listing or b) google 'D&D' and the keywords and hit upon this or another D&D-related site.  Voila!  All the hard work is done and another victimless crime has been committed.  

Now, most people do this out of ignorance, laziness, or indifference.  If this site is to be an ambassador for D&D collecting as some have suggested, a polite email requesting proper credit for the Acaeum is certainly not out of order.  Even further provide them with the following content they can add to their listing:  "Item details provided courtesy of the D&D collecting site 'The Acaeum.' If the auction listing is changed, then great. Mission accomplished.  However, if the seller chooses to ignore the email, a representative of this site should send an email to Ebay notifiying them of the copyright violation.  Whether Ebay takes action is another matter, but at least you have provided a polite cease and desist order.  

As I am relatively new to this community and do not have the 'collecting' experience of many of you to contribute, I would be more than happy to offer to help BadMike and others send the required emails. Please let me know.

I think you guys, gals, and half-orcs have done a fantastic job with the site and now have me addicted to perusing the forums several times a day.    Keep up the good work.

Thanks to Smarmy for the above suggestion.  I'd rather take this route than the kick in the nuts, it just seems a little more civilized.  Plus more evidence of a shady seller...if someone is apologetic and includes the disclaimer, great.  If someone shows little or no regard, it might show someone who is not a person you wish to deal with.  I like the idea.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:57 pm 

Just wanted to let you know that my transaction with eBay seller "senorcoo" was successful. I was worried because he didn't respond to my original email! The second one - a day later - he responded to, and I received both modules today.

However, for $8.00 shipping they were shipped in a Priority Mail envelope with NO plastic wrap or protection. The priority envelope was even coming open at the seams, but thankfully no damage was done to the books.

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:59 pm 

Odd that senorcoo was so careless with the modules.  He has won several of my D&D Miniatures auctions in the past, and always politely complained (albeit in positive feedback) when I did not ship them in a hard box (I used bubble packs, which seemed sufficient, and there was never any damage).  Could be that he's not as familiar with the "needs" of RPG module collectors as he is with minis, and doesn't realize he could use backings/magazine bags.  He always struck me as fairly reasonable, if a bit picky, so a friendly suggestion to pack better would probably go a long way.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:19 pm 

Or, he expects to get full value for his shipping, but refuses to give it in return.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:14 pm 

Possibly, although that wasn't my sense of him.  Of course, I refused to give him full value for his shipping costs :), at least by his standards, so I guess I couldn't complain if I purchased a module from him and in return got it in a Priority Mail envelope with no protection.  I always shipped modules with two backings and an archival bag, but I suppose I have more respect for the TSR stuff than the plastic minis I was offloading.

EDIT: but I never would have charged $8 shipping, either.  $4.05, baby.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:18 pm 

Radovarl wrote:$4.05, baby.

For six more days, anyway ...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:19 pm 

I wouldn't have minded $8 shipping, but I am just glad the modules weren't banged up.

I charge $5.50 in the US for usually Media Mail shipping, but I usually ship in a bubble or padded envelope, and inside the padded envelope is a "Priority Mail" style hard container. On occasion, I have shipped using less protection, but usually I use both.

The big brown padded envelopes are $12 for 15 envelopes; the bubble mailers (big ones) are $4 for 5 of them. Tape is about $3.50 for that super-cool packaging tape from OfficeMax - thus I think my costs are justified. If anyone knows where I can find shipping supplies for less, I am all ears and would be REALLY grateful  :D

Am I wrong?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:20 pm 

EDIT: $4.05:  Yeah, but I got out of selling a while back.  That does make me wonder, though, if Media Mail is going up (I buy a lot of books from Amazon).  I suppose I should check out the USPS website or your thread here...

Last edited by Radovarl on Mon May 07, 2007 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:26 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:The big brown padded envelopes are $12 for 15 envelopes; the bubble mailers (big ones) are $4 for 5 of them. Tape is about $3.50 for that super-cool packaging tape from OfficeMax - thus I think my costs are justified. If anyone knows where I can find shipping supplies for less, I am all ears and would be REALLY grateful  :D

Am I wrong?

That sounds fairly reasonable, although I know with the minis I was getting bulk bubble mailers for a bit less than that from some distributor on the Internet.  Let me find the box they came in........  Aha!  Try packagingprice.com.  Not sure how much cheaper, and don't have the time to look right now, but I'm pretty sure it was better than $4 for 5, and some of the bubble mailers I was using were the right size for modules, too.

EDIT: On the other hand, if you're charging $5.00+ shipping for Media Mail, you could switch to Priority (for 6 more days, yeah I hear ya :) at $4.05, and still have enough left over for two magazine-size archival grade white backings and a magazine-size bag (they come to what, 5 or 10 cents apiece?) while getting the module there faster.  Within a PM envelope, two backings and a bag should keep anything safe.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:42 pm 

Good point. I've shipped like that a few times, but I ran out of the acid-free magazine backing boards, and was looking for an alternative method.

I guess it's time to head back to the old comic store again...

Thanks for the suggestion!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:25 am 

My wife cuts up old liquor boxes and uses them to stiffen the Prio envelopes. These aren't MY boxes; she gets them for free at the store.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:20 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:My wife cuts up old liquor boxes and uses them to stiffen the Prio envelopes. These aren't MY boxes; she gets them for free at the store.

Surrrrreeeeee Frank.........

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:59 pm 

OK, maybe a FEW of the boxes are mine.
Still and all, she does a great job of packing. I can't even compare.
I think, however, that STD could outdo anyone, as long as it was fudge packing. He excels at that.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:31 am 

Well, since its current information lets update this new thread about our new/old friend Dayecon.  

Here is who he is:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... llFeedback

Apparently not only does he like to steal peoples money by not delivering items that were paid for, but he also likes to sell fake Magic the Gathering Cards.  Aside from that he also clear lies in his feedback.  Look at the Neg he gave to Nicholas aka Le_Rehib on December 9th:

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=d ... rn=Left+by

And then what he followed up to Nicholas' Neg comment 4 1/2 months later:

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=dayecon&ref=home

BTW, Good news as it seems Toolhaus.org is working again!!  :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:42 am 

And here is a listing of the auctions by Dayecon that got lost in the mail:

adagary4jj's lost super modules

pherreroca's lost RPGA3 & RPGA4 modules

le_rahib's lost SECOND CHANCE OFFER RPGA3 & RPGA4

And this last one that did not end up in a neg as he was actually refunded, but were also lost in the mail:

Grayson's R1 & R3 modules

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:08 pm 

DAYECON

+++++

Wow, I hope a fictional company doesn't come after me with a pretend lawsuit.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:52 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:DAYECON

+++++

Wow, I hope a fictional company doesn't come after me with a pretend lawsuit.

I'm going to hammer this guy like he's a ten penny nail when he pulls his head out of his ass to list again.  If anyone wants to join me, nothing illegal (law wise or ebay wise), just maybe a few questions for him on his items.  Like Is it a fake or is it the real card?  Like asking that on every single one of his card auctions......you guys known the drill. The more moronic the better.  If he posts the question, you get bonus points. I'm thinking about making a little game out of it, with prizes and everything...... :twisted:
 Also, like our friend Cougie, I'm a bit dyslexic, so I'm unfortunately going to refer to him as "Dayecock" in all our communications....who knows you might slip up also and forget the "n" at the end....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Next