Magazines
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:11 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Damnit, now I have to go find a copy; I'm dying of curiousity.  :) Even the Paizo web-page has me fired-up:

House of the Brothers
by Mark R. Shipley

Two huge opponents from the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting. An AD&D Greyhawk adventure for character levels 6--10.

Mark, describing the submission process, the editing process, where you got the idea from, etc., etc., would make for a great thread, IMO.

Fess up Mark....why no more sales to Dungeon? You were off to a great start.....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:32 am 

Yes, I was off to a good start...and I could have/should have/would have done more work.

I wrote House of the Brothers for my campaign, and re-wrote it over a Thanksgiving weekend for Dungeon.  

The maps in the magazine are almost exactly as I drew them.

There was a funny letter in a following Dungeon magazine where one guy complained about how the module was too tough for characters of the recommended level.  (You could almost hear him squeak as Erdol and Karzahk stomped on him.)  My own players massacred the brothers and looted their lair...taking almost no damage and falling for almost none of the traps...at a slightly lower level than the recommendation.  (And the adventure as published was slightly easier than the way I wrote it.)

My second proposal was rejected...and like writers are apt to do, I lost confidence.

There are a few things I would like to go back to my 20's self and kick myself in the butt over.  Dungeon is one of them.

I did do a couple of editing jobs for TSR...one of the Fighter's Challenge modules and The Marklands...which was a huge and complicated job, particularly in those days, when TSR used a primitive form of Wordperfect.  Carl Sargent (I'm pretty sure it was Carl) had written using an Amstrad computer and a program called Professional Writer (ironically...that was exactly what I used at the time).  Everything had to be painstakingly re-done after Wordperfect had brute-force translated the text.  

It wasn't that long ago that a large number of computers could not understand each other's programs and word processor files.  I was always behind the technology curve because each new generation came with programs the old generation could not run for various reasons.

One (possibly) interesting anecdote...I tried to destroy the city of Prymp on the Greyhawk map.  It was on the corner of the Marklands map.  I lobbied hard that such a stupid name should be obliterated, but by then the Greyhawk map was considered canonical.

One thing I did get clarified...the town of Oldred, on Relmore Bay, was hard to read on the original Greyhawk map.  The town's name could just as easily be read as "Old Red."  Since the town was not mentioned in the original text of the world of Greyhawk folio, the name on the map could be read either way.  The name is obvious...now...but I still think that it sucks.  

One of Gygax's quirks as a writer is to create goofy, nonsense names for people and places...things like "Voolbar Hokrap of Furyondy, Marquis of Kloog." (OK, I just made that up, but it isn't far off the mark, is it?)  Names like Blibdoolpoolp were typical of Gygax.

TSR could be a wacky company to work with.  On the Fighter's Challenge module, TSR kept sending me a disk that had to be painstakingly translated...only to reveal each time that they had sent me the wrong disk again.  It kind of made for some harsh deadline pressures...and everything was by snail mail...and people in charge don't like to be told they have made mistakes.

At one point I was one person away from getting hired by TSR and moving to Wisconsin.  I don't know who the other person they hired might have been.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Last edited by FormCritic on Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:45 am 

red_bus wrote:
Do you mean that you will get (a) more for a collection selling each mag off one by one, so that some will go higher as collectors look to fill holes in their collections etc.. or (b) more for a collection selling it as a single lot, because the prestige and rarity of getting a whole (poss. complete) collection in one go adds to the price - so you get more than if you sold it off piecemeal?  I am note sure myself which - for big collections, a big price will limit your audience, but then, big collections don't appear that often....

I think a) would bring in the most cash - at least some form of a).  Probably not every issue by itself but say the first 50, then into bundles of magazines and then separting the 3rd edition stuff, etc.  I'm not even sure what kind of price what an estimate value of a complete Dragon collection would be but I could guess at $1500? And the number of people just willing to drop that amount on Ebay for an auction (regardless of what it is) is pretty limited.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:38 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

£250 BIN for a WD1 (there is another one up at the moment - current price £41)

(to the sellers credit it's a very nice auction - I think you could certainly bid with confidence)(My favourite part of the item is the fact that it's been date stamped - how cool is that!?! :D )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:14 pm 

Regarding Owl & Weasel, the following interview with Ian Livingstone might be of some interest.

Owl and Weasel: Silver Lodge Interview

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:18 pm 

PaulofCthulhu wrote in Magazines:Regarding Owl & Weasel, the following interview with Ian Livingstone might be of some interest.

Owl and Weasel: Silver Lodge Interview

:lol: re. unusual character class! (WD as originally announced in O&W was planned to be A5 format with card covers, btw: thankfully they changed their mind by the next issue...).

Listening in now - wish I'd known beforehand. Thanks to y'both. ;)

[edit] Good work. :) Guess I'll still have to find out whose idea A4 single-sided was, before the A5 reprint. Also interesting to see John Peake's name on the trophy into the 1990s. Nice games room!

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Previous