Magazines
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:44 pm 

A few bits and bobs about magazines.

7 issues of Owl and Weasel recently sold for a combined sum of £759.38 (well done chaps!!)
This strikes me as just about the craziest prices paid for magazines, though considering how scarce they are I can not really blame collectors for falling on them like a pack of rabid dogs.

Which brings me to my questions.

What is the single most expensive magazine out there? (Owl and Weasel 1 was £149.75). I can't see Dragon 1's or SR1's going for this - anyone got any auction history on Strategic Previews?

What about fanzines - the most desirable/rarest/well written/shocking/etc?

Can anyone actually sell later issues of Dragon magazine? :lol: *

What are the best mags for reading?

Should I sell my Dragon Magazine Archive now or wait a bit longer?

Who has had an article printed? (Mark- I still occasionally search for Dungeon 6 - it's on my list of things to get....eventually!)

Has anyone got a copy of Imagine 9 I can have?

Just a few thoughts put out there really  - I look forward to your input.

* I thought that I couldn't give them away. But I've just done a deal to sell 80 (a stack about 2 feet high) for £6.00 - and I'm glad of it!!!

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:51 pm 

And how much fro a complete O&W run in one auction? A grand...more...

And who has any?

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am 

I have seen Dragon Magazine #1 get into the $280-$300 on a few occasions over the last couple fo years, but its certainly not all the time.  

Strategic Reviews never come any where near $100(actually I don't even think I have seen one hit $50 yet  :? ), let alone $300.  

Of the 3 auctions(2 of which I won  :P ) I have seen for Strategic Previews over the last few years, none of those approached $300 either.  The 2 that I won both went for around $125 and it was either Foul or Stormber who won the third(actually first chronologically) went for ~$95 IIRC.  Then again, I haven't seen a Strategice Preview hit Ebay for I am thinking almost 2 years now, so the lord only knwos where they might go for now-a-days with the recent price surge on rare items. 8O

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:34 am 

gyg wrote:A few bits and bobs about magazines.

7 issues of Owl and Weasel recently sold for a combined sum of £759.38 (well done chaps!!)
This strikes me as just about the craziest prices paid for magazines, though considering how scarce they are I can not really blame collectors for falling on them like a pack of rabid dogs.

Which brings me to my questions.

What is the single most expensive magazine out there? (Owl and Weasel 1 was £149.75). I can't see Dragon 1's or SR1's going for this - anyone got any auction history on Strategic Previews?

What about fanzines - the most desirable/rarest/well written/shocking/etc?

Can anyone actually sell later issues of Dragon magazine? :lol: *

What are the best mags for reading?

Should I sell my Dragon Magazine Archive now or wait a bit longer?

Who has had an article printed? (Mark- I still occasionally search for Dungeon 6 - it's on my list of things to get....eventually!)

Has anyone got a copy of Imagine 9 I can have?

Just a few thoughts put out there really  - I look forward to your input.

* I thought that I couldn't give them away. But I've just done a deal to sell 80 (a stack about 2 feet high) for £6.00 - and I'm glad of it!!!

I can sometimes sell individual Dragon mags in the #60-150 range for $4-$6 each...you just have to be willing to stick them in your Ebay store and perhaps sit on them awhile.  Oh yeh and they have to be in "like new" shape also. Some issues with games or special inserts (say the Deck of Many Things issue) actually can go for a bit more if marketed correctly...maybe $9 or so!   :lol:  I recently sold a bunch of otherwise nondescript Dragon mags by highlighting the fact they included Traveller, Gamma World or Top Secret articles and placing these keywords in the description...remember, not everyone can afford $100+ for the DRagon magazine archive anymore, or maybe they just want a particular issue for an article or adventure.
  BTW with the Dragon archive getting harder to find, I'm finding certain Dragon mags are actually selling again. For awhile there you couldn't give them away.  I actually knew another dealer who was so frustrated he was using them for packing material....!
 Love to keep a few beat up, unsellable Dungeon mags in the "reading room"...always time to get a few ideas when I am, umm, concentrating... 8O
 Dungeon #6 I believe was my first ever issue of this mag...and I ran Mark's adventure at least twice!  It's a good one!
 The price for the Dragon archive will only go up....I don't believe the powers that be are ever going to go to the time and trouble to make another updated version.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:38 am 

If someone had the entire print run of either Dungeon or Dragon magazines later this year (i.e. after the last print issues are available), what could the entire print run go for?
(No, no, I don't have these; I've wondered for information/curiousity.)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:52 am 

A complete set of Dragon or Dungeon would not get anywhere near the price if sold individually.  Finding one person who would want over 300 issues of Dragon magazine and would pay to ship them.

How much did that Doomsday newsletter / magazine sell for?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:29 pm 

gyg wrote:(Owl and Weasel 1 was £149.75). I can't see Dragon 1's or SR1's going for this - anyone got any auction history on Strategic Previews?

Well, White Dwarf #1 recently went for £185

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I doubt that'll be repeated.

I've got a load of old fanzines (Underworld Oracle, Beholder, Might & Magic, plus others) which'll be heading towards ebay at some point.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:43 pm 

Can anyone even verify the existence of another O & W #1?  I've heard rumors of one other copy, but that's it.  Considering that, I don't think David over-paid in the recent run of auctions, especially considering he had to bulk up his snipes to be sure to get as much of the run as possible, as in the recent Oz auctions.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:57 pm 

Badmike wrote: Dungeon #6 I believe was my first ever issue of this mag...and I ran Mark's adventure at least twice!  It's a good one!
 Mike B.

Its funny after you guys mentioned it here, I made a point to check it out in my copy of Dungeon #6(I had never had a chance to really before then) and I must say that I was also very impressed.  To tell the truth, despite the fact that it is constrained in size because it needed to be small to fit into the magazine, its a lot better than the majority of the other material that started being "officially" published shortly there after.  Its very well done. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:34 pm 

Badmike wrote:

I can sometimes sell individual Dragon mags in the #60-150 range for $4-$6 each...you just have to be willing to stick them in your Ebay store and perhaps sit on them awhile.  Oh yeh and they have to be in "like new" shape also. Some issues with games or special inserts (say the Deck of Many Things issue) actually can go for a bit more if marketed correctly...maybe $9 or so!   :lol:  I recently sold a bunch of otherwise nondescript Dragon mags by highlighting the fact they included Traveller, Gamma World or Top Secret articles and placing these keywords in the description...remember, not everyone can afford $100+ for the DRagon magazine archive anymore, or maybe they just want a particular issue for an article or adventure.

One strategy I use for selling on issues 60+ is to actually remove the inserts/modules, then listing those as a lot. Certainly they seem to attract more interest and $$$ then by just listing the magazines themselves...and they ship a lot cheaper of course!  :)

Latest example...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0101369326

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:49 pm 

seeyouinescrow wrote:

One strategy I use for selling on issues 60+ is to actually remove the inserts/modules, then listing those as a lot. Certainly they seem to attract more interest and $$$ then by just listing the magazines themselves...and they ship a lot cheaper of course!  :)

Latest example...

I'm sure the reduced shipping helps but the price you are getting is basically $1 an issue.  Which may not be huge profits but it at least gets them sold.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:00 pm 

Badmike wrote:Dungeon #6 I believe was my first ever issue of this mag...and I ran Mark's adventure at least twice!  It's a good one!

Damnit, now I have to go find a copy; I'm dying of curiousity.  :) Even the Paizo web-page has me fired-up:

House of the Brothers
by Mark R. Shipley

Two huge opponents from the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting. An AD&D Greyhawk adventure for character levels 6--10.

Mark, describing the submission process, the editing process, where you got the idea from, etc., etc., would make for a great thread, IMO.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:03 pm 

Mars wrote:

I'm sure the reduced shipping helps but the price you are getting is basically $1 an issue.  Which may not be huge profits but it at least gets them sold.

True...about $1 per issue. Of course, this is especially useful for poorer condition issues. If I were to list a run of 10 issues for $9.99 let's say, chances are it would go unsold. So as you said...it gets them sold...of course you then still have the "insertless" copies. Put 20-30 of those in a lot starting at $.99, and maybe you can push that to $5-$10 total

Example...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:06 am 

gyg wrote:What is the single most expensive magazine out there? (Owl and Weasel 1 was £149.75). I can't see Dragon 1's or SR1's going for this - anyone got any auction history on Strategic Previews?

The Doomsday mag I would say is the most expensive D&D related mahazine. The highest nonD&D related would be issue 1 of Wyrms Footnotes (with the chits). There are a couple that would also command high prices Warpstone 1, Dagon 1

Brette:)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:18 am 

Mars wrote:A complete set of Dragon or Dungeon would not get anywhere near the price if sold individually.  Finding one person who would want over 300 issues of Dragon magazine and would pay to ship them.

Do you mean that you will get (a) more for a collection selling each mag off one by one, so that some will go higher as collectors look to fill holes in their collections etc.. or (b) more for a collection selling it as a single lot, because the prestige and rarity of getting a whole (poss. complete) collection in one go adds to the price - so you get more than if you sold it off piecemeal?  I am note sure myself which - for big collections, a big price will limit your audience, but then, big collections don't appear that often....

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:19 am 

beasterbrook wrote:
Dagon 1

Oh yes...  8O

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:30 am 

red_bus wrote:
Oh yes...  8O

And I hear that they some of them may make an appearence.. but I can't say when..

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:08 am 

seeyouinescrow wrote:

Latest example...

That's a great idea.  When I first started on ebay, I remember several unscrupulous sorts would sell a detached module (say, Forest of Doom or Mechica) as a stand alone item without mentioning it's Dragon magazine connection.  Would get some pretty decent cash for those too.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Next