H3 Bloodstone Wars: Worth the Price?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:40 pm 

I am just wondering if H3: Bloodstone Wars is worth the price it usually sells for? Specifically, I am interested to know whether or not it is primarily an extended Battlesystem scenario such as H1 or if it is more dungeon-crawl oriented such as H2 and H4, the latter of which I found to be quite enjoyable. I absolutely loathed H1 when I bought it new in the mid eighties, which is what kept me from purchasing the remaining modules in the series. I have recently corrected this oversight with the rather expensive purchases of H2 and H4. (Even though both do have Battlesystem scenaries, they are short and, more importantly, optional, which is not the case with H1). Thanks in advance for your assistance.

"Curses to those responsible for wrapping blackness in everlasting chains."

--WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:57 pm 

Not worth it at all, in my opinion.  I'm always astonished by what people are willing to pay for it.  

Same goes for the 10th Anniversary box set.

Let mirth prevail!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:17 pm 

I appreciate your advice! I also agree with you regarding the Silver Anniversary set. To celebrate the anniversary of D&D without reprinting Gygax's legendary "D" series of modules is a gross oversight!!! Apart from the L3 module, the set is absolutely worthless. Heck, even the Lakofka module is primarily interesting as a curiosity, especially considering the fact that WotC apparently butchered said author's manuscript when putting it into print.

"Curses to those responsible for wrapping blackness in everlasting chains."

--WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:22 pm 

Actually, I was referring to the monkey-shit brown 10th Anniv. Set that continues to attract high prices despite being ugly as hell and devoid of interesting content.

The Silver Ann is one of my favorites, though.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:07 pm 

Munafik wrote:I am just wondering if H3: Bloodstone Wars is worth the price it usually sells for? Specifically, I am interested to know whether or not it is primarily an extended Battlesystem scenario such as H1 or if it is more dungeon-crawl oriented such as H2 and H4, the latter of which I found to be quite enjoyable. I absolutely loathed H1 when I bought it new in the mid eighties, which is what kept me from purchasing the remaining modules in the series. I have recently corrected this oversight with the rather expensive purchases of H2 and H4. (Even though both do have Battlesystem scenaries, they are short and, more importantly, optional, which is not the case with H1). Thanks in advance for your assistance.

It's primarily a series of Battlesystem scenarios that follow the PCs as they conquer the Bloodstone lands. Very wargame-like and no adventures/dungeon crawls worth the time.  The only reason I can see for it to be worth anything is that I believe with the other H-series modules it seemed to have a smaller print run.  But to answer your question, NOT worth the money if you want it primarily for a dungeon crawl type adventure (since it doesn't really have one).

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:50 pm 

Speaking of Bloodstone modules, have any of you actually PLAYED "Throne of Bloodstone?"

Even in all my years of AD&D, I never got a character high enough to participate in that one. I read about the encounter with all the T-rexes, and just have to chuckle...It was a GREAT read, though.

Just curious.

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:56 pm 

If you actually read the intro about super high level characters (100th level!), it actually seems to make quite a lot of sense! But then you read the adventure and sense goes out of the window (or into the Abyss).

It IS a great read though, I just can't imagine anyone seriously running it.

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:28 am 

Since Munafik raised the issue of H3 being worth it, what about H1:  Bloodstone Pass?  I've seen these go for a fair amount on Ebay for the complete item, but as far as enjoyment/playability/nostalgia is this module worth the money?  BITD we only did dungeon crawl type adventures and no wargames other than Civlization and Axis & Allies so I have absolutely no basis for comparison.  I think I would have enjoyed it, but oh the choices we make in our youth :wink:

I've recently purchased H2, H3, and H4 but have not had the time to read them (and definitely more expensive than the others I purchased).  Also I have bid on a few H1 auctions just to complete the series.  And yes, before you ask, I even tried to bid on a couple of Coug's auctions for H1 before I had truly discovered the Acaeum forums :D  So for someone getting back into collecting in general and possible war gaming in the future, would you recommend H1 or should I try something else?  

Thanks

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:34 am 

It's frustrating for me, as I had H1 before--that is, before my sister gave all my D&D/AD&D stuff to Goodwill  :twisted: --but trying to get either H1 or H3 has been nightmarish!  I mean, $100.00 or thereabouts for either one?????  Plus, H3 seems to be much harder to find.  I know there are stories of Cougie trying to corner the H1 market, but what about H3?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:54 am 

Two or so years ago, I wanted to see what the big deal was, so I bought the H series from RPGnow. It didn't do a lot for me; I don't even remember H3. :)

I actually sort of liked H1, though ... at least until I ran into CougPenis. Now, I associate the module with him. And it's a measure of just how much I can't stand that sphincter that I won't even look at an H1 now.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:14 am 

As far as H3 goes, I got lucky and managed to pick up a decent copy with map for around $33 with shipping.  (If $33 is really lucky ?!?) It does seem to be rather scarce in the price range I was willing to pay and only after trolling ebay for a few months did I find this copy.  (I did a quick check a minute ago and I could only find one H3 on Ebay for $44 with BIN and NO MAP!)  This probably isn't a great bargain; perhaps some of the other Acaeum members have a better copy they are willing to sell/trade :)

Slightly off topic, but would it be proper/acceptable (at least within this group) to make a scan/photocopy of a missing map/counters/loose sheets for someone who owned a module that was missing these items?  I apologize in advance if this has been addressed in another thread, but I mention it as only for the sake of helping a fellow collector and not for commercial gain.

Thanks

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:59 am 

smarmy1 wrote:As far as H3 goes, I got lucky and managed to pick up a decent copy with map for around $33 with shipping.  (If $33 is really lucky ?!?) It does seem to be rather scarce in the price range I was willing to pay and only after trolling ebay for a few months did I find this copy.  (I did a quick check a minute ago and I could only find one H3 on Ebay for $44 with BIN and NO MAP!)  This probably isn't a great bargain; perhaps some of the other Acaeum members have a better copy they are willing to sell/trade :)

Slightly off topic, but would it be proper/acceptable (at least within this group) to make a scan/photocopy of a missing map/counters/loose sheets for someone who owned a module that was missing these items?  I apologize in advance if this has been addressed in another thread, but I mention it as only for the sake of helping a fellow collector and not for commercial gain.

Thanks

If the H3 was complete with the map and in good shape, it sounds like a pretty good deal

As for the copying....Don't worry, I don't think the thought police (or Psi Corps for those Babylon 5 fans) will bust you for something like that.  Hell, I've copied the entire contents of modules and magazines at times over the years, mostly to get the items in the hands of people who can't find or afford the originals.  If I ever get my hands on an ST1 someday, I might just make a pdf of it and freely distribute it  8O  Just for the chaos effect, you understand... :wink:
  And I can't even count how many copies of the mapbooks from supermodules (T1-4, GDQ1-7, A1-4, I3-5, etc) I've made and given away over the years....there must be an elephant's graveyard for those things something in this universe....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:11 am 

I'll put my H1 up soon. I really will never use it and I'd hate to see ANYONE have to get a copy from Retard.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:39 am 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Speaking of Bloodstone modules, have any of you actually PLAYED "Throne of Bloodstone?"

Even in all my years of AD&D, I never got a character high enough to participate in that one. I read about the encounter with all the T-rexes, and just have to chuckle...It was a GREAT read, though.

Just curious.

A group I played with in high school used the pre-generated characters that came with H4 (not the 100th level quasi-deities) and we barely made it to the Witch-King's citadel with our asses intact.  I have read through it since then and I can't imagine anyone actually making it to the Abyss without the DM fudging a few dice rolls.  :roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:23 am 

I am just wondering if H3: Bloodstone Wars is worth the price it usually sells for?

Since Munafik raised the issue of H3 being worth it, what about H1: Bloodstone Pass? I've seen these go for a fair amount on Ebay for the complete item, but as far as enjoyment/playability/nostalgia is this module worth the money?

This is just more evidence that the prices on eBay are driven almost exclusively by collectability, not actual use (which is a topic that came up earlier, I think, with regards to the longrun value of D&D collectibles).

And in terms of collectibility I don't think you can find anything better among the "common" modules. H modules are harder to find, look cool with great artwork (maybe H3 is an exception), and unless I'm mistaken, the H's are the only ones which run AD&D at very high levels.

Very intriguing collectibles all things considered. In fact, I'm surprised they don't go for even more money.

If you actually read the intro about super high level characters (100th level!), it actually seems to make quite a lot of sense! But then you read the adventure and sense goes out of the window (or into the Abyss).

I haven't read the module, but I did read the "how to handle high level players".. very good read as I recall.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:56 pm 

Badmike - as far as PDFs go, I am under the understanding that the owner of a product is allowed to make "back up" copies for themself, provided they are not making a profit from them or selling them in violation of copyright laws.

So as far as copying PDF format maps to complete what is otherwise a product that you own -regardless of whether or not you are selling it - is a gray area, is it not? Just curious.

Not that I care...I too, have printed out maps (mainly for those supermodules in question) because so many friends don't seem to have them.

Just thinking out loud, I spose. I wouldn't sell anything like a PDF on eBay, but I don't see a problem with a seller "copying" a map to complete a product, as long as they state that the originals are NOT included but are indeed copies (as long as the copy is only a map or two)

I hope I haven't started a sh**storm with my post....

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:24 pm 

Badmike wrote:If I ever get my hands on an ST1 someday, I might just make a pdf of it and freely distribute it  8O  Just for the chaos effect, you understand... :wink:
  And I can't even count how many copies of the mapbooks from supermodules (T1-4, GDQ1-7, A1-4, I3-5, etc) I've made and given away over the years....there must be an elephant's graveyard for those things something in this universe....

In doing a search for Wee Warriors items, I notice a post from 3 weeks ago where some pdfers were looking for those items and Fazzlewood to pdf and include in their bittorrent file.  I think they were looking for Outdoor Geomorphs as well and RPGA2.

I tend to make copies of maps, or handouts to complete an item as well.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:15 pm 

Mark, where did you come across them?  Just curious.

Let mirth prevail!

Next