R.I.P.: Dragon and Dungeon magazines
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:17 am 

Blackmoor wrote:I just got a notice to renew my Dungeon subscription from Paizo today!!

What a bunch of nobs :x

Wow, that is really weak. I'm guessing it was some sort of computer-generated nonsense, but still ... pretty weak.

So do you have any "thoughtful" replies in mind?  :)

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:11 pm 

Huh, interesting to see the diversity of responses here.  Personally, I grieved Dragon when Gygax was kicked out of TSR in 1985.  I let my subscription run out and that was that.

I guess "end of an era" is an entirely subjective thing.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:47 pm 

I used to go to ICv2 all the time, but just realized it had been something like a year since I had last visited. So what do I see upon my arrival this morning ... ?

An amazing example of corporate double-speak from WotC. There is, quite literally, not a single real answer in this so-called Q&A:

I wish I could be a marketing person, too

My God, I honestly don't think it's possible that Wizards could be handling the Dragon/Dungeon thing any worse than they are ... this entire thing is really going to come back and haunt them.

+++++

Oh, BTW, Liz: "13 million eyeballs," my ass. How many of those, I wonder, are people like me, who visit Wizards about once a month (and only if some 1e-related material is updated or mentioned)?

Better yet, how many of those supposed 13 million are just there for the message boards?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:51 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I used to go to ICv2 all the time, but just realized it had been something like a year since I had last visited. So what do I see upon my arrival this morning ... ?

An amazing example of corporate double-speak from WotC. There is, quite literally, not a single real answer in this so-called Q&A:

I wish I could be a marketing person, too

My God, I honestly don't think it's possible that Wizards could be handling the Dragon/Dungeon thing any worse than they are ... this entire thing is really going to come back and haunt them.

+++++

Oh, BTW, Liz: "13 million eyeballs," my ass. How many of those, I wonder, are people like me, who visit Wizards about once a month (and only if some 1e-related material is updated or mentioned)?

Better yet, how many of those supposed 13 million are just there for the message boards?

I read that, X. As I said on the Dragonsfoot boards, I've crapped better loads than that pile......

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:04 pm 

Their decision makes sense from a cost and delivery standpoint.  

It is the emotional impact of Dragon and Dungeon that they do not comprehend.

I corresponded with the public relations guy from Paizo the other day.  He has a positive spin for it all, but the gist of it is that Paizo did not have a choice.

Mark 8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:40 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I corresponded with the public relations guy from Paizo the other day.  He has a positive spin for it all, but the gist of it is that Paizo did not have a choice.

Yeah, I still feel bad about railing against Paizo in my original post; at that point, it was unclear as to just how much WotC was pulling the strings. The jointly-issued press release made it seem like more of a mutual decision ...

Anyway, apologies again to any Paizo fans I might have offended; for the record, I still consider Paizo to be a nice place to order gaming items. I'm much less sold on the gigantic monthly whatcha-ma-call-ems that they plan on doing now that Dragon and Dungeon are gone ... I honestly don't see how that plan is doomed to anything other than failure inside of 12 months.

But that's probably a subject for another day ... :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:07 pm 

Does anyone know what the subscription rates for Dragon or Dungeon are at?  I'm guessing that they must be seriously down to consider a move like this but I don't have any sense of what kind of numbers they are dealing in these days.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:15 pm 

Mars wrote:Does anyone know what the subscription rates for Dragon or Dungeon are at?  I'm guessing that they must be seriously down to consider a move like this but I don't have any sense of what kind of numbers they are dealing in these days.

Unless there's something I'm not seeing, it's no longer possible to get a traditional subscription to either magazine.

The Paizo site mentions that "month-to-month" subscriptions are available, with a 35-percent discount. Frankly, I'm not entirely certain what that means (for instance, would you have to renew every month?).

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:22 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I still consider Paizo to be a nice place to order gaming items.

Although, all due respect and everything, but maybe someone at Paizo should delete that header at the top. Or else re-word it to something like:

"The gift that keeps on giving ... at least until August!"

Previous