The Acaeum is terrific! Words from a newbie...and ideas, too
Poll: Would you like to see an "Acaeum Approved" seller logo for eBay sellers to use?

Yes, that would help me out as a buyer! 31%       31%  [ 5 ]
No, that would be stupid and no one would care. 31%       31%  [ 5 ]
Um...buddy...you're new here, so just be quiet and read the forums. 38%       38%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 16

Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:11 am 

Hi, everyone...I'm new to the Acaeum, but I have been using the reference pages to price items I am selling on eBay.

In the past, I've always looked to eBay to "price" my items, but have found that utilizing the Acaeum's prices in my auctions has been tremendously helpful.

I was wondering if the Acaeum has ever considered creating a "logo" for people to refer back to this website? I would love to put Acaeum logos in my eBay auctions, just to refer new people to this resource. I usually put in my item descriptions of D&D modules...."The Acaeum prices this at XX in poor condition XXX in mint, and based on my opinion of the condition, the BIN price is XXX." It's been a terrific selling tool, and I would love to refer people back here!

Or perhaps even an "Acaeum APPROVED" sellers list, for genuine collectors here who like a sellers attitude and would recommend them to other serious collectors.

At any rate, I love the Acaeum, and would highly recommend it to ANY serious collector and vintage D&D reseller.

BRAVO, GUYS!!

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:24 am 

Personally I feel that something like that could be too easily used by an unscrupulous seller attempting to boost the value of a "dog rogered" item.  :)

It might also give buyers an impression that the item had been graded like a CCG comic or other such "authority".

Put my vote down for "other".

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:25 am 

Hmmm, an interesting idea.  It could work, but would need a lot of thought.  There are probably legal problems with any kind of formal approval service - but something less formal might work - and in fact already does here where people will bid with more confidence on auctions from Acaeum (well, most anyway :wink: ) members here.  Certainly worth discussing though! Welcome to the forums!  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:00 am 

Thanks for the welcome (apparently there are two people at least who think the new guy should keep his mouth....uh, keys....shut!  :(  )

It was just a thought. You guys seem to be doing a good job "ferreting out" those sellers on eBay who are misrepresenting things. Thanks - I am assuming - to one of your members, I even got an "advance warning" about a lot of books I was selling that was bid on by "cougarrinard."

Regardless of what you guys decide to do with an eBay rating system (if anything), thanks for your price guide - it is a valuable system that I will continue utilizing!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:38 am 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Thanks for the welcome (apparently there are two people at least who think the new guy should keep his mouth....uh, keys....shut!  :(  )

It was just a thought. You guys seem to be doing a good job "ferreting out" those sellers on eBay who are misrepresenting things. Thanks - I am assuming - to one of your members, I even got an "advance warning" about a lot of books I was selling that was bid on by "cougarrinard."

Regardless of what you guys decide to do with an eBay rating system (if anything), thanks for your price guide - it is a valuable system that I will continue utilizing!

In theory it sounds great...

I just don't know in practice if it could be pulled off.  Foul would have to be involved in every aspect of this, and he's quite a busy man.  But it's an interesting idea.

Welcome to the forums!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:37 am 

Thanks, Mike...has there ever been any inclination to update the Modules section with newer module (2nd Ed) prices, too? I find there are LOTS of second edition items that don't have prices listed.  :(

I know it's a huge undertaking, but I for one would be willing to help with a 2nd ed module/accessory database, if a rookie's help might be appreciated...

Keep up the good work, guys!

Matt

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:27 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Thanks, Mike...has there ever been any inclination to update the Modules section with newer module (2nd Ed) prices, too? I find there are LOTS of second edition items that don't have prices listed.  :(

I know it's a huge undertaking, but I for one would be willing to help with a 2nd ed module/accessory database, if a rookie's help might be appreciated...

Keep up the good work, guys!

Matt

I don't want to speak for the site, but I think the entire idea of the Acaeum is to cater to 1st edition collecting or thereabout.  I could be wrong.  That being said, I'd love to see a 2nd edition subweb.  Now that 3rd edition has been going strong for almost a decade, the nostalgia bug has even bitten the 2nd edition collector, and there are quite a few items that are starting to go up in price.  Plus, although most of the items written specifically for 2nd edition (i'm thinking modules) are dreck, there are several really great items...Ruins of Undermountain, Gates Firestorm Peak, etc.  A few of the items published post 1988 or so are definitely becoming harder to find....and some items (the WGR series for example) were ALWAYS hard to find and have always commanded premium prices.  I think the main component missing is time and dedication...for example, I would love to create a subweb dealing with the magazines for D&D (Dungeon, Dragon, Polyhedron) but who has the time?  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:49 pm 

I voted "stupid" (as opposed to "stupidly", which is a habit of around 50% of us Americans in national elections...but I digress), though I don't really think it's a stupid idea.  I just have serious reservations about branding auctions that way.  There are too many ways it could go wrong.  I prefer the simple reference and link to the site in the auction description.  It seems to work pretty well that way.

Welcome!   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:57 pm 

I don't think it's a bad idea at all, but it would be a lot of work and could expose the Acaeum to some criticism. Even the least shady seller is bound to get negative feedback at some point in time . . . and if his auctions are "Acaeum approved" then the Acaeum could get criticized for it.

A logo that simply says "To read more about this item, go to the Acaeum" might be more helpful.

I think a 2nd Edition subweb is a great idea.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:30 pm 

I think a DCC sub-web is a great idea!    :D

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:52 pm 

bombadil wrote:I voted "stupid" (as opposed to "stupidly", which is a habit of around 50% of us Americans in national elections...but I digress), though I don't really think it's a stupid idea.  I just have serious reservations about branding auctions that way.  There are too many ways it could go wrong.  I prefer the simple reference and link to the site in the auction description.  It seems to work pretty well that way.

Welcome!   :D

I agree on all points, though I abstained from voting entirely.  The Acaeum is known well enough for the informed bidder to look here.  The uninformed bidder isn't going to care about our opinion.  And the uniformed bidder is probably going ignore us and follow his marching orders.

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:26 pm 

I didn't vote, either. It's certainly not a "stupid" idea, but none of the other categories fit, either.

One reason I'm not totally wild about any sort of Acaeum branding is that the valuations we come up with are meant (warning: heavy formatting coming up!) as a GUIDE. They are not in any way, shape, or form "official" in any capacity ... although there's even long-time members of these forums who don't seem to grasp that. 8O

So, personally, I would be uncomfortable with any sort of "Acaeum-rated" or "Acaeum-valued" type of branding. And I doubt Foul would be real wild about it, either.  :)

Also, quite a few sellers already use Acaeum-related information in their listings. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen "for more information, see www.acaeum.com" in D&D listings.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:30 pm 

Thanks to everyone for their comments on this one. I'll just keep crediting "The Acaeum" for their price guides and descriptions in the bulk of my auctions!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:38 pm 

Also, CSH, be sure to give us your life's story over at the "introduce yourself" thread. We especially like detailed stories about your favorite D&D character.  :)

It's this thread right here:

viewtopic.php?t=8&start=860

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:48 pm 

dcas wrote:I think a 2nd Edition subweb is a great idea.

Same here.  Isn't someone working on a TSR non-D&D subweb?  Grodog maybe?  Definitely looking forward to that.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:51 pm 

my choice doesnt fit into any of the categories offered either, so i will just abstain and sit on the fence :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:52 pm 

And how is a new guy supposed to feel at home when the majority of the pollsters think he should just shut up and read???

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:54 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:And how is a new guy supposed to feel at home when the majority of the pollsters think he should just shut up and read???

hey i didnt say that :)

its nice to read something positive instead of the bollox thats been in other threads lately.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Next