Who all here still plays as well as collects?
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:54 pm 

Paul---

I still think you should write this up for the OJ or Canonfire! :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:02 pm 

I generally only grab things that I feel are core to the game, i.e. Complete (x) Handbook, but I do find myself going on collecting binges more frequently.  Right now I'm running a AD&D 2E with some house rules.  We don't get to play enough due to work schedules, but it's fun.  Right now it's: HF1, halfling rogue 1,grey elven mage 1, and I NPC a Dwarven cleric for the party.  It looks like we'll start passing the DM mantle around every once in a while so that everyone gets playing time.  We're actually looking for a fourth player, but can't agree on anyone as of yet.   :?

Insert interesting and/or humorous quote here.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:49 am 

"bump"

You mean people actually still play Dungeons & Dragons?  

Sadly, it has been over a decade since I played D&D (not against the computer, that is).  In my mind I have created many a campaign world & adventure over the years - I cling to the distant hope that maybe I can DM for my children someday. . . that would be just about 13 years away. . .

The last campaign I played was an "evil" one.  I progressed to about 8th level as a Chaotic evil Duergar Fighter.  My companions and I were members of the Six-fingered Hand in service to Graz'zt.  Our sadistic DM was always creating plot lines that forced us into conflict with each other and much of the PC dying was from betrayal and in-fighting. :twisted:

Eventually campaigns became too time consuming so we played a few years of tourney style adventures.

And then I played D&D no more. . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:24 pm 

I still try to play but most of the games just fizzle out.  I'm currently trying to rebuild my 1st edition collection so I can start a game using it.  

dbartman, I'd be interested in hearing more about your 1stEdition House Rules with 2nd&3rd Edition elements.  Respond here or shoot me if PM if you like.  I was hoping to do that as well.  I really like the combat and AC method of 3rd edition.  Anyone else play a game using mixed editions?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:31 pm 

dzubak---

The game I'm playing in (on hiatus while the DM's off on an international internship until just before GenCon) uses 3e and 3.5e as the basis for the rules, be we've added a lot of 1e elements back into the game:  languages, among many other things, worked much better in 1e than in 3e.  

I would also be interested in dbartman's house rules :D  We don't really have a list of what we've adopted from earlier editions, but I could probably come up with that in awhile if anyone's interested.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:10 pm 

Wow.

I am in the minority with Beyondthebreach here. I don't think I have played in almost 10 years with the possible exception of a gencon tournament - at least 8 years ago.

I do miss it though. Just no time. Still game a few times a year but usually Man-o-War or some board game.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:36 am 

Still DM a couple of campaigns, unfortunately due to a recent move the "adult" oriented one hasn't been active in several months, although we plan to start up again soon.  I also have a campaign I DM for my step daughter (16) and one of my gaming buddies and his two kids (16 and 12) about once a month or so.  Surprisingly, this has been one of the most enjoyable campaigns I have ever run....kids say and do the darndest things, as the saying goes, and my buddy and me have been both reduced to both laughter and open mouthed  astonishment several times during the campaign.  If you ever have a chance, try and run a campaign for your kids, it has been one of the most rewarding activities I have ever engaged in...not only do you get to interact with your kid, you won't feel guilty about the activity since it can lead to all kinds of learning opportunities, and you will have fun also.  
     I will say something for the kids, they are persistent as can be, in three years they have gone from 1st to 9th level and have never shown signs of boredom or disinterest...amazing in this day and time of video games, cable TV and online computer games.  For both campaigns, we use 2nd edition (cause the rulebooks are so easy to find, everyone knows these rules,, I extensively use the core rules cdrom and expansion disk,  and it''s too hard to get my older gaming buddies to buy the new books and switch over when they know the older system backwards and forwards).  When you get older there just isn't enough time to play as much as you would like, I'd love to be running another two campaigns or so but right now just these too take up all my spare time.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:18 am 

Count me among the crowd of 'once and future gamers'.

The last campaign I was in, where I played weekly with a regular group of gamers was 1989(!!!!) (But we started playing in 77 on a weekly basis... I remember the debate about missing the game or going to see Star Wars :) )

Subsequently, I had several 'short runs' with different groups and some one-off days with my old group.

What took me out was starting a software company while simultaneously having kids.

Would love to find a game (and in fact Grodog is less than a couple of miles from me so i know there are games around) but just don't have the time.

The 2-3 hours a week I get to myself are spent catching up with my wife or posting here. :)

In a few years, when the kids are in school, I hope to restart a game and I'd love to take my kids through some of the old modules.  I think it will be like reading them some of my old favorite stories... And I will love to see what they do when given the chance to take on the Giants in the Grand Duchy of Goeff... or see if *THEY* can get through S1 on anything less than 3 sets of characters.  Or if THEY can kick the slaver's butts.

The problem is, I was never the DM for more than a few games.  I was always a player, so that will be different.  

As for OTHER games, I do game.. but mostly board games or clix games that you can do over a few beers and a pizza.  

I have been able to sit in on a few sessions of a friends Aberrant (White Wolf/super hero) game a few times as a 'guest' which is fun, but not the same.

So I don't play... heck, currently I'm not even collecting really.  I've got a critical mass and need to dump some of my stuff before I go for the rest of the crown jewels (Lost Caverns, Garden Path etc...).

Wow. That was a long and boring message I just wrote. Okay WAKE UP, WAKE UP.. Somone say something witty here... This is starting to sound like a PTA meeting or something.

-------------------------------------------------

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:42 am 

Thats funny. Up untill the past 6 months or so I didnt realize that there were active collectors. The only people I knew that collected, were people like me. Gamers. I DM actively every other weekend, although I took about a year and a half off untill recently, and am not currently playing in any other campaigns, as I just cant seem to get into the 3rd edition. So  heres a shameless hint: Anyone running a Campaign in central Wisconsin, looking for players contact me. :P

What the !@#$ you mean we dont use Thac0 anymore????

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:07 am 

JonOakes wrote:In a few years, when the kids are in school, I hope to restart a game and I'd love to take my kids through some of the old modules.  I think it will be like reading them some of my old favorite stories... And I will love to see what they do when given the chance to take on the Giants in the Grand Duchy of Goeff... or see if *THEY* can get through S1 on anything less than 3 sets of characters.  Or if THEY can kick the slaver's butts.

You'll love it.  It's like introducing your kids to one of your oldest friends.  "Kids, meet the giants.  Giants, meet the kids.  May the toughest group win."  One of the greatest days in my life was when my daughter, at age 12, said "Can you take me through a D&D dungeon?"   Maybe someday when she graduates college I'll have the same feeling I did (she graduated high school this summer a year earlier than her grade, which of course I attributed to Dungeons & Dragons making her smarter.....)

Mike B.

Previous