Ebay selling question
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:40 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:I appreciate the sympathy, but I love abuse. That's why I got married.
Like I said, I don't think you honestly believe STD's yearly-wage handling fee is legitimate.

Maybe I missed "STD"s statement about a yearly-wage handling fee.  My only point about the handling fees is that if they're expressly stated in the listing and the buyer knows about them in advance, I don't have a problem with whatever the seller is charging.  Like a few others mentioned, the buyer will just move on to the next seller if S&H is excessive.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:45 pm 

Badmike wrote:
There's basically a handful of posters here that have decided it is their job in the community to "initiate" new members.  If you don't agree with them, they'll hammer you bloody.  Just roll with it and continue on, it'll get better after awhile.  I'd recommend posting exclusively in opinion neutral threads like "1st edition modules I loved" or "Music Love to Listen" (my favorite) or "We all hate Cougar", stuff like that, for an undeterminate amount of time.  Or, conversely, bid a gigantic amount on the next ST1, Orange B3 or original manuscript to come down the pike.  They might not love you, but they'll respect you...well, respect your wallet....

Mike B.

So I'm being hazed (sp?) is what you're saying?  That's too funny.  I somehow think that "a certain someone" (see, I didn't mention your name) would find something wrong with anything I might have to say, even in "1st edition modules I loved" (all of them, incidentally).  I don't really want an ST1, so I'll have to go with the OB3 option, I suppose.  I'll start saving my pennies.  Actually, if I quit smoking today, I might almost have enough by the next time one comes up (yeah, I smoke ALOT).

Last edited by Radovarl on Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:47 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
What did the message finally get through?  

And please spare me the rant about how I am angry or whatever, because please do not kid yourself and actually think that you are somehow important enough in my life for me to care enough to get angry about you or anything that you say.  :D

Good for you.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:26 am 

'move along please - nothing to see here' :D

Radovarl - you previously stated thet you were unaware of what a 'troll' is. Now I'm no expert on exact definitions but I believe it could be said that somone who deliberately tries to make divisive and contentious points could be described as a forum troll.

In my opinion I would say that your posts make you into a troll on this particular forum. While I might not possibly put it as strongly as BC I really would suggest that you try to 'get along', in what is generally a forum peopled by mainly decent individuals.

Forgive me if you feel I am speaking out of turn but I do feel strongly that threads like this belittle what 'we' are trying to do here.

Remember if you do love D&D and the like this is the place for you, if not, then you are wasting your time posting, and by continuing in the vein you are in you are unlikely to make many friends here.

Sorry if this is a bit rambling but to quote Woody out of Toy Story '....play nice.'

Carl

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:44 am 

Ah, okay, I see now (what a troll is).  I don't think I qualify, in this forum or any other, but I appreciate you expressing your opinion in a civil fashion.  It seems to me there's a fine line between, and a lot of subjectivity involved in, deciding which opinions are deliberately divisive/contentious and which are not.  Some seem to want to call anything they disagree with strongly "trollish" (if that's the proper adjectival form), which I think is a mistake.  If only the majority or popular or whichever view can go unlabeled as contentious, then what's point of discussing anything at all.  I'm not sure what vein I've been in, but I'm more than happy to discontinue it.  I would very much appreciate not getting explosive responses to my posts in size 40 fonts, though.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:48 am 

gyg wrote:'move along please - nothing to see here' :D

Radovarl - you previously stated thet you were unaware of what a 'troll' is. Now I'm no expert on exact definitions but I believe it could be said that somone who deliberately tries to make divisive and contentious points could be described as a forum troll.

In my opinion I would say that your posts make you into a troll on this particular forum. While I might not possibly put it as strongly as BC I really would suggest that you try to 'get along', in what is generally a forum peopled by mainly decent individuals.

Forgive me if you feel I am speaking out of turn but I do feel strongly that threads like this belittle what 'we' are trying to do here.

Remember if you do love D&D and the like this is the place for you, if not, then you are wasting your time posting, and by continuing in the vein you are in you are unlikely to make many friends here.

Sorry if this is a bit rambling but to quote Woody out of Toy Story '....play nice.'

Carl

Or perhaps gyg, just put a little more PC than me.  My post was meant to caustic, because I wanted to get my point across.   Here is my issue, I do not care if you stay or if you go, I really don't.  My issue(which has been comapounded by STS' insistant posts here) is that if you are going to be here don't do two things:

1) Criticize people here for their collection size, because this is after all a "D&D Collectors forum".

2)  Most importantly, Don't bitch that this place sucks and then continue to post here.  Its perhaps my biggest Pet Peeve(or Pet Hate if you are from he UK  :) ), both on this forum and to be honest in real life as well.  

To underline my second point, as I think the first point pretty much speaks for itself, is long ago I used to work as a manager in a restaurant.  In this restaurant every once in awhile, we would have a customer complaint where a customer would complain and then say, "Every time I come here there is a problem!". Now obviously I couldn't say it, but one of the first things that used to pop into my head was, "If everytime you come here there is a problem in your mind, then why the f**k are you still coming here?".  I mean, its seems obvious to me that if everytime you go someplace you hate it and it sucks, then its probably best if you find someplace else to go and yet these people just could not seem to get it.

Same thing applies here, if you like this place, then great hang out and post away (assuming that you do not take the route of STS who goes out of his way to say things that are nothing more than bait tactics meant to do nothing more than to piss people off), but if for some reason you find that this place is not to your liking per se, do yourself and everyone else a favor and find someplace that you do find more to your liking. Everyone (yourself included) will be happier for it.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:30 am 

Well put Brian - as I would have expected from you :roll: (jk with the rolly eyes!!)
So Radovarl, the ball is in your court - we all know there are no hard and fast rules for posting here (god knows I've posted some shite!!) BUT it's worth posting in a manner that makes you part of this community, and don't bother asking how to do that, as it should be quite clear by now.(Because if you do not want to be part of it, then why are you here? ( a question you should ask yourself rather than bouncing back more inane questions))

Sorry to be blunt but this is all very tedious and getting away from the forum's reason to be.

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:59 am 

hey talking about shite, about 20 of my posts have been useful :D

but hey how cant you like me :D

Rad. just enjoy the forum chummer. its a fun place to be. you will get used to the nooks and crannys of the place if you just take a little time to step back and watch whats going on.

in general, this lot are a great bunch. ppl come n go, but they are a-ok, despite some heavy-handed comments at times, which come with very good reason.

my earlier post did not insult anybody. what i did was call the comments stupid.

but hey its a new day, so enjoy it!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:01 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/AD-D-D-D-Massconfus ... dZViewItem

Here is an auction from the genius (I noticed you used my term above, Badmike...thanks) who sells copies of tournament modules.

(I am thinking of bidding just to get a photocopy.   :D )

What should be noted is his terms for "combined shipping."

His shipping price and "combined shipping" terms are a nice example of what I mentioned above in this strand....

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:10 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Here is an auction from the genius (I noticed you used my term above, Badmike...thanks) who sells copies of tournament modules.

(I am thinking of bidding just to get a photocopy.   :D )

What should be noted is his terms for "combined shipping."

His shipping price and "combined shipping" terms are a nice example of what I mentioned above in this strand....

Mark   8)

I don't always give you credit Mark but you know you invented the term so I don't bother... :wink:  Isn't appropriation the finest form of flattery?

And speaking of the genius....

So if I get four of his items, shipping is $18?  Geez.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:49 pm 

I still have no clue why a few that frequent this board treat it as if it were their own personal 'Gentleman's Club'.  Any new ideas, new thoughts or even different way of looking at collecting are soundly flamed.  Many people come here and so few people post.  If there is, indeed, an initiation process whereby you are trampled initially to somehow earn your right to speak your mind without being attacked, then no thank you.  I am not a 'traditional' collector cut from the mould some of you exclusively appreciate, but I have enjoyed reasonable, articulated and entertaining posts here, often by folks that think entirely differently than I do.  Yet I have not felt the need to char-broil folks for this different-ness.

It is juvenile, it is intolerant and it will continue to create a closed dialogue where a few of you can continue to greatly appreciate each others one-minded thinking, narrow sense of humor and general meanness.

I have made a decent living helping organizations admit to and then change inherent dysfunctional activity in order to reach their goals.  What is the goal of this site?  To cater to a few that see this hobby a certain way or provide information and reasonable dialogue to the many?  If it is the latter, it is my professional opinion that a few folks are making the forum dysfunctional.  Maybe those that feel this site is theirs are perfectly ok with that, but you may be missing some incredibly bright and articulate folks that are apathetic about entering the ‘gentleman's club' to take their dose of initiation.

Lastly, as I have mentioned, I am fairly new back in to gaming and have found a good number of great sites with very active forums.  In none of them (including Dragonsfoot)  do I see the level of open hostility and attempted destruction of individuals' reputation as I see here.  It is shameful.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:55 pm 

I don't think I went through an initiation when I joined the site, but maybe I did and am just too thick to have realized it.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:11 pm 

The thing that I really find shameful are those who negotiate clearly undervalued BINs after they see posts in the interesting items on Ebay thread so that they can take money out a sellers pocket and put into their own.  Its not even done because they are collectors looking to fill a whole in their collections, but for the sole purpose of reselling said items at a profit.   Thats what I find shameful.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:23 pm 

i think a lot of ppl bring things upon themselves.

simple as.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:23 pm 

I should probably add that as far as I have seen there is no "in-club" or any other club here for that matter.

If you come here, you act like an adult, you don't bait people intentionaly with assanine comments, you don't try and steal people's money and/or you don't start bitching that this place sucks, then you will get along here just fine.  If you come here and do any/all of the aforementioned things then you won't have such an easy time.

Pretty simple really. Actually, pretty much what anybody should expect on a message board or anywhere else in one life's pursuits I would expect.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:24 pm 

bombadil wrote:I don't think I went through an initiation when I joined the site, but maybe I did and am just too thick to have realized it.   :D

I didn't, either. I had the opposite problem, actually — no one even noticed I was here until I had about 400 or 500 posts. :)

This is the second or third time now I've seen a reference to an Acaeum "initiation" process, and I'm just not buying it. Where? When? To whom? I hope it's not a reference to StS Games, because defending against trolls is a totally separate issue.

+++++

Edit: Well, there's no getting this one back on-topic now ...  :)

Last edited by Xaxaxe on Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:31 pm 

i cant even remember my first few posts....prb went way under the radar.

i prb got to about 3500 posts before anyone took much notice :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:25 pm 

Al, you're assuming that people have taken notice... :D

Let mirth prevail!

PreviousNext