Ebay selling question
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:05 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
I could be wrong, but aren't those flat rate boxes "free"?

Using priority mail boxes for media mail shipments feels like stealing to me.  I won't do it, but I understand that others do it as a form of recycling, etc.  To each his own.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:21 pm 

lucyjoyce wrote:Using priority mail boxes for media mail shipments feels like stealing to me.  I won't do it, but I understand that others do it as a form of recycling, etc.  To each his own.

I tend to agree, if perhaps for a different reason.

Basically, I don't want my free supplies to dry up. :) To me, the deal with the USPS is built on a certain level of trust that goes something like this: "Okay, we will deliver an unlimited amount of supplies to your doorstep, for free, no strings attached, but we do ask that you use these supplies for Priority Mail only."

That seems fair to me; personally, I would never use Priority Mail materials for anything except what they are intended for. It seems like a small price to pay for one of the last great bargains out there.*

I'm not claiming to be some sort of saint, though; I am highly motivated to follow the USPS' guidelines in order to keep those free supplies coming. I do worry that the postal authorities will eventually get sick of how often this rule gets abused and ignored ... and that they'll pull the plug on my free swag. There is an ungodly amount of bitching and moaning on this site about various fees and costs — imagine how bad it will get when eBay sellers have to begin buying their Priority Mail supplies.

+++++

*Any of our UK friends can provide some perspective on this. They usually turn green with envy when they are reminded that U.S. sellers can get all the materials they need for free.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:27 pm 

Canada Post does not provide boxes either.

On another note, nothing makes me ignore an auction listing faster than somebody that just ships to Canada by UPS. Any amount shipped through them over $20 must be processed through a customs broker with brokerage fees and duty charges. Most Canadian buyers (me included) find that out the hard way.  :(

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:42 pm 

lucyjoyce wrote:Using priority mail boxes for media mail shipments feels like stealing to me.  I won't do it, but I understand that others do it as a form of recycling, etc.  To each his own.

I would definitely recycle a priority mail box that I received from a sale to send something to someone else.

Does anyone remember the story about the fellow who signed up for a FedEx account, got a lot of free boxes, and made all of the furniture in his apartment out of them?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:47 pm 

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:09 pm 

That may very well be the funniest thing I've ever seen.  I'm in shock right now, but I can feel the uncontrollable laughter slowly welling up....  Yep, gotta go.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:23 pm 

Badmike wrote:
.  I'll charge as much shipping/handling as I ethically can to refund myself for supplies, make a small profit, yet stay below or at the same price of other Ebay dealers so as to compete with them in the marketplace.   I won't apologize for it one bit either...the charges are right up front.

Ugh, and just wait for that mail price hike next month....... :cry:

Mike B.

Amen.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:24 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:On another note, nothing makes me ignore an auction listing faster than somebody that just ships to Canada by UPS. Any amount shipped through them over $20 must be processed through a customs broker with brokerage fees and duty charges. Most Canadian buyers (me included) find that out the hard way.  :(

Quote again for emphasis.  Do NOT ship by UPS to Canada.

Supposedly you can avoid most of UPS's brokerage fees if you clear the items through customs yourself.  I'm not sure how this works; I've never done it but I've heard its possible.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:37 pm 

lucyjoyce wrote:
Using priority mail boxes for media mail shipments feels like stealing to me.  I won't do it, but I understand that others do it as a form of recycling, etc.  To each his own.

I thought the post office will not even take a used priority mail box / envelope, even if you tape and mark over everything.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:38 pm 

Well, I had a look at STD's feedback, and it's confirmed: he is a troll. His shipping charges seem acceptable.
So it seems that Stinky-Troll-Shit only posts completely inane and inflammatory comments, purely for the purpose of getting the community in an uproar. Sorry to blow your cover.
Ratovarl, if you sincerely believe that STD is correct in his $10,000 handling fee, then you need medication. I don't think, though, that that is the case. What WILL inflame a lot of people is taking the "buyer beware" attitude. People who believe and operate with that philosophy hurt us all in some way or another.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:06 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Well, I had a look at STD's feedback, and it's confirmed: he is a troll. His shipping charges seem acceptable.
So it seems that Stinky-Troll-Shit only posts completely inane and inflammatory comments, purely for the purpose of getting the community in an uproar. Sorry to blow your cover.
Ratovarl, if you sincerely believe that STD is correct in his $10,000 handling fee, then you need medication. I don't think, though, that that is the case. What WILL inflame a lot of people is taking the "buyer beware" attitude. People who believe and operate with that philosophy hurt us all in some way or another.

Okay, I was actually feeling a bit sorry for you after all the abuse (deserved or undeserved, I don't know) I've seen bclarkie fling at you, since I was also blasted by him recently.  But now, not so much.  Who said anything about a $10,000 handling fee?  Seems to me that you're the one trying to (re)inflame "the community" at this point.  Calling it a community is a real stretch, from what I've seen in my short time here <sigh>.  I guess this place stirs up nostalgia for me for reasons other than just the old AD&D material; some of you guys act like the members of my gaming group in the '80's (i.e., like 13 year olds).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:33 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Then again, there is the somewhat high shipping I paid to CrazyEgor last week that translated into near instantaneous delivery of my items, in a very secure two-day envelope.  Nice work, Egor.   8O

And there's the other side of the coin, of course.  There is an eBay seller I know whose shipping fees seem to be a touch on the high side.  However, he always exceeds my expectations in terms of price, quality, and customer service, so I overlook the shipping fees entirely.  Not only am I a repeat customer, I frequently refer others to him as well.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:36 pm 

Radovarl wrote: some of you guys act like the members of my gaming group in the '80's (i.e., like 13 year olds).

I could hardly be more offended.

I try to act like a 12-year old at most!

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:53 pm 

bombadil wrote:

I try to act like a 12-year old at most!

My lad is 11 next week, thus outstripping me in maturity!!

(Postage,shipping,trolling,reselling,STD,blah,blah,blah - feel free to ignore this, as you should most of the rest of this thread)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:57 pm 

Radovarl wrote:
Okay, I was actually feeling a bit sorry for you after all the abuse (deserved or undeserved, I don't know) I've seen bclarkie fling at you, since I was also blasted by him recently.  But now, not so much.  Who said anything about a $10,000 handling fee?  Seems to me that you're the one trying to (re)inflame "the community" at this point.  Calling it a community is a real stretch, from what I've seen in my short time here <sigh>.  I guess this place stirs up nostalgia for me for reasons other than just the old AD&D material; some of you guys act like the members of my gaming group in the '80's (i.e., like 13 year olds).

I was intentionaly staying out of this mess, because I am firmly now in the camp of not feeding the troll(s), but this is the second time now my name has been mentioned by you in this thread for no reason what-so-ever.  

We all act like 13 year olds?  You are the only one here so far that I see that's crying, so if we are 13 exactly how old does that make you? Perhaps you need a tissue or maybe even a feminine napkin while you are making your home?   I am thinking that maybe we should all just pitch in an buy a cross and mail it to you so that you can f**king nail yourself to it every single time that you come here in the rememberance of how you got "picked on" for opening your mouth about someone that you have no idea is.  

To be 100% honest, I am not entirely sure why you are even here in a "Collectors Forum" in the first place, as you have made it pretty plain that you are not a "Collector" except for maybe some "wow is me"  feelings, but regardless I will give you the same invitation that I will also again give to STD-Games as well.  If you both think it sucks here so bad, then please do not let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.  And just so there is nothing lost in the translation of my message:

IF IT SUCKS SO BAD HERE, LEAVE AND DO NOT COME BACK. GO FIND SOME OTHER FORUM TO CRY ON.

Get it?  :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:20 pm 

bclarkie wrote:or maybe even a feminine napkin while you are making your home?  

Scary...I'm imagining Rat's apartment furnished with, well...Consider those pics of all the FedEx furniture, only the same exact items constructed entirely of feminine hygiene pads... 8O

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:21 pm 

Wow.  I think if you look again, you'll see that I wrote that I think "some" of you guys act like 13 year olds.  The name-calling, constant swearing, outrageously out of proportion emotional outbursts in reaction to opinions you don't like, etc.  All of a sudden I've become "Rat"ovarl because a couple of you don't like what I have to say about handling fees.  

Perhaps I should have said "a small minority" of you guys act like 13 year olds.  The overwhelming majority of the people I've interacted with here have been nothing but nice, nicer than most one meets online, in fact.  

bclarkie, why don't we just agree not to respond to each other's posts, eh?  And if it bothers you so much for me to mention you, I'll refrain in the future.  I never said I wasn't a collector; I'm just a more casual collector than many here seem to be.  I don't think I've become a major nuisance or a "Troll" (whatever that is, no one has explained it to me yet), so the invitation to exit without allowing the portal to strike me in the posterior is unwarranted, at least coming from you.  It wasn't my understanding that this is your own personal fiefdom, although you certainly seem to feel yourself to be important.  

I'll resist the (strong) temptation to blurt out a string of colorful and purely conjectural descriptives concerning your personal habits, upbringing, and physical characteristics at this point.  Whatever it is about me that bothers you so much, I suggest you just ignore it and move on.

Last edited by Radovarl on Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:30 pm 

I appreciate the sympathy, but I love abuse. That's why I got married.
Like I said, I don't think you honestly believe STD's yearly-wage handling fee is legitimate.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

PreviousNext