Ebay selling question
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:24 am 

Boreas wrote:I see nothing wrong with his posts (even the wonderful synopsis given in the previous post) even though I might not agree with every point.

The whole handling issue is his opinion and I have no problems with it but I don't think the other two have any place on this forum and if he was going to continue that kind of activity, I'm glad to see him go.

Personally insulting someone because you can anonymously hide behind a name online is flat out disrespectful and he did it not once but twice.  Just because you apologize for it afterwards doesn't make it better or change the type of person that you are to come out and say it in the first place.  Being disrespectful in this manner has no place in a productive forum, in my opinion.  I guess we have a difference of opinion on that.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:04 am 

Howdy Noone,

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

Noone wrote:I am thinking about selling some things on eBay and was wondering about shipping & handling charges.

You have the actual cost of shipping and the cost of the packing materials. Is it legit to charge a nominal fee for your time/transportation costs to the post office or should it just be the actual cost of shipping(postage) and packing materials. I am wondering since if I do very much I have got the multiple trips to the post office (10 miles each way)  and the current cost of gasoline. I was wondering if it is legit to recover at least a little of that cost spread over half a dozen sales at a time.

I look forward to your input. Since I want to be one of the good guys.

We discussed this here previously without too much diversion. Check it out:

viewtopic.php?p=69266

Also, for use here I'll restate my shipping costs:

The Collector's Trove wrote:I just finished shipping out 218 items, in 81 packages, to 5 different countries all over the world.

Just for fun I kept track of the amount and cost of materials for packaging. The amounts are as follows:

333 feet of packing tape
054 feet of scotch tape
188 comic bags
012 Life magazine-sized bags
020 comic boards
090 shipping pads
005 cubic feet of packing peanuts
200 feet of bubble wrap
015 large envelopes
010 small boxes
003 medium boxes
003 large boxes
001 extra large box
001 medium mailing tube

That comes out to a total of $127.90. My shipping and handling fee is $1.50 per customer regardless of how many items they have. So for this auction I charged S&H fees of $121.50. Pretty close!

I would say if you are dealing in very common items the handling fee will kill you as far as being able to compete for the cheapest item. However, if you are dealing with slightly harder to get items, small press, and older items, chances are it will not effect bidding one bit.

I have offered free shipping on items before and it has bit me more than once. It is just not as enticing as some folks would like to think. As I recall one time it was all 13 AD&D hardcover titles with a minimum bid of $49.99 and free shipping anywhere in the world (my choice of shipping method). The bidding ended at $50. Whee!

I like to use new packaging and overly protective packing materials because it adds security, gives confidence, and looks professional. ULINE is the place that I get all of my boxes, typically way cheaper than at local chain stores such as Office Depot.

I hope this has been helpful.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:17 am 

The Collector's Trove wrote:
I have offered free shipping on items before and it has bit me more than once. It is just not as enticing as some folks would like to think. As I recall one time it was all 13 AD&D hardcover titles with a minimum bid of $49.99 and free shipping anywhere in the world (my choice of shipping method). The bidding ended at $50. Whee!

Paul

Oh God I'm laughing now, because something similar happened to me several years ago.  Plus ebay and paypal fees, I ended up at a negative for that auction....!  No more free shipping as a result.  Thanks for the laugh Paul.  I only hope the winner of your auction wasn't in Australia....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:56 am 

bclarkie wrote:Here I go being cynical again.

Does anyone around here actually want to talk about D&D collecting?

If not maybe I am in the wrong forum.

BC. dude. you need to come run next years MDS with me.

:)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:56 pm 

I have to say I am surprised that..

I think the guidelines on eBay are pretty broad. So if you're a lawyer, who's time is incredibly precious, you could probably charge a ridiculous amount for screwing around at the post office all day. Keep in mind, though, that high fees are sometimes frowned upon. Just be reasonable.

If you state that handling will be more than a couple bucks, just make sure that this is boldly outlined in your listing so even the most unconscientious buyer will know they are responsible for added cost and factor it into the price.

.. generated 8 pages of discussion and analysis (!), most having little of my own input. And virtually all of this stems from my assertion that the value of time is different for everyone, and that eBay fees don't explicitly forbid incorporating some of this into handling [which I think is what we've sort of conceded is a toss up].

I could be mistaken, but I think a lot of regulars here enjoy attacking other people even though they profess talking about D&D collecting.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:34 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:I could be mistaken, but I think a lot of regulars here enjoy attacking other people even though they profess talking about D&D collecting.

with all due respect though StS, you didnt need to post this reply either.

things could quite easily just be left alone and let the air clear a little?

this kind of reply, you KNOW, is going to provoke a retaliatory response, so why not just leave it and concentrate your efforts on other areas of the forum, where it would be better served?

and i AM trying to be constructive here, not argumentative, so i hope you see that.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:40 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
with all due respect though StS, you didnt need to post this reply either.

things could quite easily just be left alone and let the air clear a little?

this kind of reply, you KNOW, is going to provoke a retaliatory response, so why not just leave it and concentrate your efforts on other areas of the forum, where it would be better served?

and i AM trying to be constructive here, not argumentative, so i hope you see that.

Al

Al, Why do we not just ignore him, especially considering this is another baiting post.  He has absolutely nothing to offer this forum, nothing.  He's been here over 4 months now and has yet to post anything other than the same old shit.

Lets just hope that he either finally decides that its no fun here anymore or Foul does decide to BAN him for his continuous disruptive behavior. If he is not a forum TROLL, then there is no such thing.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:40 pm 

well i was trying to be constructive.

you have to make the effort. if it doesnt get taken notice of, then i agree with you 100% simple as.

maybe i am just too nice to ppl. i like to try and give the benefit of the doubt. prb a great failing of mine.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:58 am 

bclarkie wrote:Here I go being cynical again.

Does anyone around here actually want to talk about D&D collecting?

If not maybe I am in the wrong forum.

I just won my first copy of Jade Hare. Weeeeee!

PreviousNext