Ebay selling question
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:53 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:
Radovarl wrote:I'm astounded that you've allowed bclarkie to rise to such a position of prominence.

He has?

You'll always be the #1 transient here in my book Frank!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:09 pm 

Mars wrote:

Its all part of the "victim" act. In order to effectively play the "victim" one has to show that he/she has been oppressed &/or treated badly by a person in authority.  Thus, by trying to elevate me above the others here, I become the "person of authority"(sometimes referred to as "The Big Meanie") that is now "forcing" him to move on elsewhere.  

This is actually quite common amongst message boards(it used to be like a monthly occurance over at DF), as those people who aren't getting their own way(in this circumstance the sympathy of the rest of the board) need some way of trying to save face.  So now with me being dubbed the "person of authority" in place, he can now sacrifice himself(yet again!) to the will of the authority figure he has now created.   I am actually really surprised that he made a post in an already created thread to announce his "leaving forever and ever".  These types usually start a whole new thread so as to create maximum exposure to their leaving, thus my earlier statement.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:20 pm 

Just because I wear a thong bikini on Saturday nights doesn't mean I'm a bad guy.

Oh, trans-IENT! Well, I've been here a long time, and while I am not a DeValuation board member, I do try to help out individuals whenever I can with questions about rarity, value and whatnot.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:31 pm 

Mars wrote:
Deadlord39 wrote:
Radovarl wrote:  
I'm astounded that you've allowed bclarkie to rise to such a position of prominence.

He has?

bclarkie is head of SIC 'EM (Secret Inner Circle for Ebay Monitoring).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:39 pm 

Radovarl wrote: I'm astounded that you've allowed bclarkie to rise to such a position of prominence.

We let Brian get there because then everyone is mean to him and not to us!

I would say that while I don't agree with everything BC says, which is as it shoud be, but  this forum needs him far more than it needs another petulant prat.

I try to be fair and reasonable, give everyone a chance, but some people really make it difficult.

Aside, thinking about Radovarls departure rant - 'help, help I'm being repressed' - name that film

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:53 pm 

"Dennis, there's some lovely filth over here."

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:02 pm 

NetRodent wrote:"Dennis, there's some lovely filth over here."

Bravo sir! :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:22 pm 

Time to step back and get some perspective, guys.

Don't try to tell me that all of the venom expressed here is justified.

If some of you think that Sea-to-Sky-Games is a troll then I suggest that you practice what you preach and stop answering him.

If we have any trolls here then they are Ice Trolls from the Fiend Folio, with...maybe....d4 hit points.  Nothing to be afraid of.

Is it really our plan to explode anyone who comes here?

Is it your wish for the collecting community to share, have fun and enjoy a mutual hobby?  

Is it your wish for the Acaeum to grow?

What are newcomers supposed to think when they arrive and find that virtually every day brings a new flame war?

How is a newcomer supposed to learn the rules of civil behavior on this forum when they encounter so much that is uncivil from long-time members?

Is that really the way you want things to be?

If we buy into the idea of a "self-moderated" forum then we need to moderate what we say.

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:31 pm 

gyg wrote:Aside, thinking about Radovarls departure rant - 'help, help I'm being repressed' - name that film

"fetcher la vache!"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:39 pm 

Mars wrote:
"fetcher la vache!"

'tis but a scratch!'  
(Should stop this now- way off topic! (Perhaps we should all be nasty to Mark - his reasonable, well thought out, calm and decent behaviour has always irritated me greatly :lol:  :lol: ))

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:04 pm 

Mars wrote:viewtopic.php?t=152&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=61

Is that also the thread with the earliest troll alert?

Cool.... me, three years ago.  :D  

I think Mark is probably going to get the most sensible last word on this thread.  Although I am not so sure that all this stuff puts posters off - a lot of people here will not have even noticed.  I have only just now read it through - because it is a bit of a dull thread title, I only noticed it when it was getting quite long, then I thought, "oooh, let's look here and see if there is a bit of a flame war..."

Most members here are civil (most of the time), and there is almost always an answer, even to a question that has been asked before.  A bit less time spent belabouring trivial points, and keeping any ad-hominem to a minimum will keep it working well.

Oh, and as to a secret inner circle...      Well, fuck 'em.  :wink:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:17 pm 

To me, it all really depends on how the new person acts.  If they are here acting like a moron(in any multitude of ways that we have seen in the last few months), then they will be treated as such.  If they are here to contribute and participate, then they will be just fine.  

I am not sure why an internet forum should be treated any differently then your RL. I mean if you walk into a store and tell the owners that they are dumb and have no clue how to run their business depite them doing it successfully for many years(not unlike many members of this forum), then don't be surprised when they kick your ass out to the curb.

If you join a club sport and tell everyone there that they suck or that their best player is shite on your first day there, would anyone really be surprised that they were not asked to return?

Respect is earned through ones actions and over the long term, its not deserved and it is not something one can just demand.  New people should be given a chance as long as thier own behavior dictates it.  

I for one would rather see the forum not grow at all if growing means that we have to add troublemakers for it to happen.  It would kind of defeat the purpose of growing in the first place.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:31 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Time to step back and get some perspective, guys.

Don't try to tell me that all of the venom expressed here is justified.

If some of you think that Sea-to-Sky-Games is a troll then I suggest that you practice what you preach and stop answering him.

If we have any trolls here then they are Ice Trolls from the Fiend Folio, with...maybe....d4 hit points.  Nothing to be afraid of.

Is it really our plan to explode anyone who comes here?

Is it your wish for the collecting community to share, have fun and enjoy a mutual hobby?  

Is it your wish for the Acaeum to grow?

What are newcomers supposed to think when they arrive and find that virtually every day brings a new flame war?

How is a newcomer supposed to learn the rules of civil behavior on this forum when they encounter so much that is uncivil from long-time members?

Is that really the way you want things to be?

If we buy into the idea of a "self-moderated" forum then we need to moderate what we say.

Mark

I'm 100% behind Mark on this.

I was a young dude full of piss back in the early 90s...spent probably 90% of my time online in flame wars.

Have the distinction of getting temporarily banned on AOL by infuriating both Rob Liefeld and Jeph Loeb...story for another day  :D

The point is there wasn't anything constructive about answering venom with more venom. Hopefully I'm now older and wiser. The most valuable quality of a poster is being able to flat out ignore invitations to get involved in non-constructive back and forths.  I've sent many of my buyers here who seemed interested in collecting.  I've been holding my breath hoping none of them makes an innocuous remark that gets them hammered bloody. I would obviously feel responsible.  People are entitled to dumb opinions....and typically anything we don't agree with is a dumb opinion.

Each and everyone here is an ambassador for our hobby.  Please remember that someday a guy we chase away (who might not even be the target of any flaming; maybe he just sees it going on and decides to move on) might be the next guy with an ST1, Strategic Preview set, numbered Wintercon module or unknown variant that he was going to sell to the community.  He may be a writer/artist associated with our hobby with vast valuable knowledge  that we'llnever know.  Hell, maybe Trampier gets a wild hair one day to rejoin the living, logs on, sees this mess and goes back to driving a taxi somewhere for the rest of his life.... :wink:

I said a lot of stupid dumb ass things when I first joined, I'm sure. But happily the guys here gave me latitude.  I hope I've contributed to the hobby in my time here.  Lately I've noticed less and less tolerance on the part of lots of us.  I'm probably guilty also, who knows.  I just don't want the word "Acaeum" to be synonomous with "know it all asshole" when discussed in the community.  I put together stuff like Acaeum member meetings because I'm proud to be a member, and enjoy meeting people with similar interests. Let's don't turn this into a insult slinging old farts hangout that gets more irrelevant with each year...

Rant over....damn, Mark said it better in fewer words. Turning into a long winded blowhard in my old age.

Love you all.... :lol:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:29 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I for one would rather see the forum not grow at all if growing means that we have to add troublemakers for it to happen.

Radovarl and Boreas were not troublemakers.  They were both intelligent and well-spoken individuals.

I hope they are still lurking and will decide to stick around.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:45 pm 

I don't recall Boreas saying anything offensive.  Although Radovarl, did some name calling in a couple of threads.  The 3 that come to mind are (and I will paraphrase):

1) collectors who have too much stuff (I guess more than he does) don't donate enough to charitably organizations.

2) demeaning remarks about Boreas who negotiated a seller to put a buy-it-now on a DMG.

3) charging whatever you want of handling is fine - no name calling in this one that I know of.

Good start at putting people off considering he's only been around 3 weeks.  I'm with Brian on this one.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:09 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
Radovarl and Boreas were not troublemakers.  They were both intelligent and well-spoken individuals.

I hope they are still lurking and will decide to stick around.

I have to agree here as well.  Radovarl did make a comment about I\O's collection that was unnecessarily negative.  From what I read I don't think he meant to upset anyone at all...but obviously it did.  Even after 80 or so posts on this forum in a very short time an apology from him still wasn't good enough.  Over the years here I have read where others have done worse and been forgiven.

Not sure what Boreas was so upset about as I obviously missed the post where he pissed someone off.

This is a forum.  An assembly of open discussion and ideas.  Opinions are welcome...even ones we might consider stupid.  I don't have a problem with bashing someone if they become hostile or if they are simply trying to screw someone over.  Several names come to mind: maxwell, jpipes, creep1962....I could go on.  But from what I have read Radovarl didn't warrant the venom that was spewed at him.  

I don't care for Dragonsfoot.  I don't really like some of the other forums I have checked out either.  I enjoy this one because of the differences of all the members.  And it is nice that it is unmoderated.  I like to say words like asshat and turdwipe without getting banned by some jackhole holier-than-thou moderator.  But the overreacting and downright nastiness is getting really old.  Save the "fuck you's" and "eat shit's" for the creeps and maxwells of the world.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:14 am 

My guess on Boreas is that he might have been put off by one of Radovarl's posts actually.  Boreas negotiated a $15 BIN on a 1st print DMG and Radovarl posted something like "someone snaked that auction".  At least that's the only negative thing I can find that was said to Boreas.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:16 am 

Thanks for those members that have publicly and privately expressed distaste at the rampant flame warring.  It gives me continued hope that the vocal minority is just that.  It is easy enough to ignore the self righteous forum police that show up firing bazookas when a simple water pistol would suffice.  The impression on the new person that these point-for-point character assassinations give is that there is one accepted way to interact here…one set of opinions that matter.  Why should it be that way?  It is pointless, spiteful and demeaning and serves no other purpose than to entertain.

I have come to know Radovarl the last week or two through private email and exchange of collecting material.  If he really does choose to walk away, it will be a loss to the Acaeum.  I see nothing wrong with his posts (even the wonderful synopsis given in the previous post) even though I might not agree with every point.

I am hanging around and hoping that the tone will change.  I have had outstanding interactions with many of the people that post here.  Most of you folks are well spoken, very knowledgeable and have outstanding sense of humor.  That is what I will choose to focus on.

PreviousNext