Miniatures Geomorphs (vaporware)
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:55 am 

Here's an interesting "future releases" I noticed once on auction scan of the back of M&TA Set 2 (F1007, Lizard Logo):

"Outdoor Geomorphs sets (Castle/Fortress)" obviously became the (never-produced) Outdoor Geomorphs Set Two (Castle/Fortress)

"additional Geomorphs sets (Ruins)" became the (never-produced) Outdoor Geomorphs Set Three (Ruins)

"M&TA (for Levels Seven To Nine)" was produced, as M&TA Set 3.

"Plus special Geomorphs for use with miniature figures!" is the most interesting. More vaporware along the lines of the 2-4th Outdoor Geo Sets.

I may have also seen something about this in SR or The Dragon.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:16 am 

You have the full scan of the back, because thats one I was missing. (this and the other thread got me look again at the file ;) )

This is at the back of the 1st print of Set One:

This MONSTER AND TREASURE ASSORTMENT (Levels One to Three)
is one of a set and is designed as a playing aid for DUNGEONS & DRAGONS.
By using the assortment lists, game judges can generate any number of ap-
propriate monsters or treasure simply by dice rolling - thus saving time in
play and preparation.
This item is only one of the many popular playing aids for DUNGEONS
& DRAGONS produced by TSR Hobbies, Inc. Other D & D accessory items
currently available include:

Dungeon Geomorphs, Set One (Basic Dungeon)                  $2.49
Dungeon Geomorphs, Set Two (Caves & Caverns)                  $2.49
Dungeon Geomorphs, Set Three (Lower Dungeon)                  $2.49

Other future releases include several Outdoor Geomorphs sets (Walled City,
Castle/Fortress), additional Geomorphs sets (Ruins), and further Monster
and Treasure Assortments (for Levels Four to Six and Levels Seven to Nine).
Plus special Geomorphs for use with miniature figures!

TSR Hobbies publishes a complete line of fantasy, science fiction, and
historical games and rules A complete catalog on the entire selection of TSR
items is available for $2.00 (refundable on the first order of miniature
figures) from TSR Hobbies,  POB 756, Lake Geneva, WI 53147.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:47 pm 

Sure, here you go. I have no memory of where this image came from...I'm guessing it was from auction. It was dated August 2006. I trimmed the top & bottom a bit.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:02 pm 

I wonder if the Miniatures Geomorphs morphed into the Adventure Squares that were on the backs of TSR AD&D miniatures blister cards?  There were a dog's breakfast of interchangeable squares included with these.

Just a thought.

The Egg

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:12 pm 

Egg,

Interesting idea. I've never seen those Adventure Squares before - could you post an example?

The other products that could be a descendent of this idea are the Dragon Tiles series (AC3/AC8) - though with cardboard minis rather than standard minis.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:58 pm 

Because everything in the world must eventually have a tribute page, here's a page about adventure squares:

http://members.shaw.ca/figs/AdventureSquares.html

That page only shows AD&D squares. The Star Frontiers squares were high-tech rooms with computers and floor hatches (spaceship interiors?), while the TSR Classics (Boot Hill, Gamma World, Gangbusters, Top Secret) squares seem to have been generic contemporary buildings.

Speaking of vaporware for miniatures, I've got an old TSR customer survey (which came out of a box of their minis, I think) that asks some goofy questions about scenery sets for use with AD&D and Star Frontiers miniatures.  Apparently, somebody at TSR was thinking about getting into the scenery business.

WWW ICQ  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:36 pm 

Contrarian, any way to put a scan of that TSR survey up here?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:02 pm 

Egg of Coot wrote:I wonder if the Miniatures Geomorphs morphed into the Adventure Squares that were on the backs of TSR AD&D miniatures blister cards?  There were a dog's breakfast of interchangeable squares included with these.

Just a thought.

The Egg

I commend you for working in the phrase "dog's breakfast."  I shall have to remember to use that one myself.

Mark   :)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:23 pm 

zhowar wrote:"Plus special Geomorphs for use with miniature figures!" is the most interesting. More vaporware along the lines of the 2-4th Outdoor Geo Sets.

Interesting stuff.  My M&TA Set Two doesn't show this last part, and on closer inspection is a 2nd printing.  

However, my M&TA Set One, first printing does have this text.  I don't know if that's particularly unique, but I figured it was worth mentioning.  Can anyone else confirm whether the miniature figures geomorph line appears on their M&TA Set One first printing?  We may have another variation there, if not.

The PHB lists an OG Set 4 -- Rooms, Chambers, & Passages.  I wonder if this might be the minatures geos mentioned above?  

Also, if I'm reading the M&TA text correctly, they were originally planning on making the Ruins as a separate series from the existing Dungeon and Outdoor series.  By the time the PHB was printed, they'd moved the Ruins into Set 3 of the Outdoor Geos series.  Not long after that they disappear entirely from the lists.  Seems like a very chaotic period.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:27 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:However, my M&TA Set One, first printing does have this text.  I don't know if that's particularly unique, but I figured it was worth mentioning.  Can anyone else confirm whether the miniature figures geomorph line appears on their M&TA Set One first printing?  We may have another variation there, if not.

See my post above, the 1st print of Set One does have this line.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:08 pm 

My 1st print set one has the same text.
My 1st print set two has the text also.
My 2nd print set two doesnt have the text.

Therapy-level collector

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:57 pm 

sleepyCO wrote:Contrarian, any way to put a scan of that TSR survey up here?

Sure, why not?  This is already a thread-of-big-images anyway, so here's a quick scan of a very yellowed survey (it's been sitting in the bottom of my "to paint" box for 20 years!).

The 2 questions about "scenics" are both on the back, but I'll include the front, too, because it has some interesting questions.  It kinda looks like TSR was trying to figure out if their minis were attracting new miniatures gamers, or just people who were already collecting miniatures.  (Of course, as we all know now, they weren't really attracting anybody.)

And here's the scenery question.  Sounds like it was going to be a modular system.

Note, also, the rare mention of "Uncle" Duke Seifried, the VP in charge of miniatures at TSR.  Google for the name if you don't know who he is.

I think I got this survey in the RPGA miniatures set, which I actually bought straight from the Network when I was a teenager.

WWW ICQ  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:24 pm 

Thanks for the scan, Contrarian!

Some interesting names in there -

Ruins of Rangar is a Fantasy Forest book. See here. (Slight spelling difference Rangar vs Ranghar).

Lock Lomond is a lake in Scotland.

Lost City of Azar may reference this ancient city.

The Windswept, Wandering Way, Rills of Rock, Demon Deeps, and Lostland all have a nice ring to them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:06 pm 

Thanks contrarian for the scan!

Interesting to note that under "AD&D Scenics" there was no "Village of Hommlet" and no "Keep on the Borderlands" (although there IS a "Keep of the Ancient King"); I realize those were D&D not AD&D, but . . ..

Also, to add to zhowar's post:  "Misty Mountain" and (I think) "Goblin Gate" are from "The Hobbit" &/or "The Lord Of the Rings" trilogy.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:30 pm 

zhowar wrote:Interesting idea. I've never seen those Adventure Squares before - could you post an example?

Seeing as a link has been posted to some on-line examples, I won't post any scans.  However, it should be noted that the four sheets shown are by no means the only ones that were produced.

FormCritic wrote:I commend you for working in the phrase "dog's breakfast."  I shall have to remember to use that one myself.

I live to serve.

The Egg

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:34 pm 

zhowar wrote:Lock Lomond is a lake in Scotland.

There is also a Loch Lomond in Thunder Bay Ontario, Canada.

The Egg

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:19 pm 

I'm trying to determine if a set of looseleaf Geomorphs is complete or not. Can anyone tell me how many sheets were included with each set, or if they should come with text info?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:08 pm 

Go to TSR Archive,   http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/

They have great info about the number of pages and maps, etc, included with all modules and accessories.  They are not 100% correct, but pretty good.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Next