Restoration
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:03 pm 

Hey everyone,

I've been ordering UAs left and right, trying to find one with a good binding. No luck and now I have a half-dozen UAs :)

Which happens to be enough on which to start experimenting with rebinding. Has anyone rebound or otherwise attempted to restore a hardback 1e book? Would you mind sharing your experiences about that?

Of course, the usual disclaimer, that this restoration is solely for my own benefit and not to be resold without indicating the restoration had occurred! But all that aside, anyone with advice on fixing up the binding, I would sincerely appreciate it!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:01 pm 

There are book restoration tips for paperback books all over the Internet that would be useful for you, since the UA books were all essentially a perfect-bound book with a hard cover.

This page may be of help.  It provides links to pages on book care and restoration.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:41 pm 

Local university libraries are also good places to check into rebinding, or your local public library if it's pretty large.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:45 pm 

I'll second that.  I only know 2 re-binders, and both of them work at university libraries.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:23 pm 

Our local university actually offers a course in book rebinding; you might look into enrolling in something like that if possible.  One of my college girlfiends took the class, and the "final project" was to find an old hardcover and rebind it.  As I recall, it was pretty easy and turned out well.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:50 pm 

Good suggestions! I have a couple of Universities nearby and will definitely check in with them. Thanks guys.