Keeping track of one's collection
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:59 pm 

bombadil wrote:I have a real problem in this area.  I'm not very good at keeping track of what I buy, and sometimes buy or bid on things I already own.  An Excel spreadsheet seems like a good way to do it.  Now if I could just find an afternoon to catalogue the stuff... :D

Hello All,

I started this task a few weeks ago, as I started losing track & bid on or even worse, won items I had already acquired. I used Excel, which I love and work with all the time . . .sorry :roll:  So, I thought you guys might like a tip or two to save some time. I did not want to type all of the items, so I went to the Acaeum site with the list of items and then Copied & Pasted them into Excel. This takes a few minutes for all the categories.

Now the problem is that you have all of the infomation for a row in one cell. Here's the fix: 1st, highlight or select the pasted colum, then go to Data (top menu line), then select Text to Columns, which gives you a Wizard (even wonder if programers played D&D? :wink: ), leave "Delimited" checked, then click Next, on Step 2 UN-check Tab and select Space in the Delimiter area, now click Next, and now in Step 3 just click Finish. Do not worry about the other selections.

This will now have separated the names out into individual cells in the same row. Now you just have to do some sorting from the far right, working inwards to delete the stuff you don't want. After you finished that, a simple formula in Excel called "Concatenate" will recombine the item names into one cell. It would look like this from the most right column that is empty: =CONCATENATE(A1," ",B1," ",C1," ",D1," ",E1). The "  " places a space between the words so you get the full name in one cell looking like: "The War Rafts of Kron" instead of "TheWarRaftsofKron".

Once you're done with this, just highlight or select this column with the Concatenate formula and select Copy, then Paste Special (in Edit menu), and then just select "Values" from the pop-up window & click "OK". Now you have a nice clean list of items and you can delete the junk to the left.

If people want, I could email or post ( :?: ) this Excel file here, as I could just make a copy with the names. It unfortunately does not include Boxed Sets, as there was no list that I could find. If people want this, please let me know how I can make it available for everyone.

Hope this Helps & Happy Easter,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:56 am 

Hi Paul,

I keep all mine on an Excel spreadsheet, so would be interested in comparing the one you've mentioned with what I have already. Mine's very basic with the items just listed down and plugged into a new line when I get them.

Brendon

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:20 am 

I seem to be the only one that uses a database program - Microsoft Access. It is pretty easy to use and it comes with Microsoft office.

Once your items are in a database programme, you can print out and / or cross-reference any elements on your list.

You can run all manner of queries such as total values, all items written by Gary Gygax, all items in your collection that are less than a certain quality etc etc. I would highly recommend it.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:09 pm 

I'd love to learn how to use Access, especially as it has come up in my last two job interviews. It seems like a program with a steep initial learning curve, though, whereas Excel is more of a "jump right in" program. That could be just me, though ... but I do find it interesting that probably 75 percent of people in my peer group can use Excel, but only 10 or 15 percent can use Access.

Any advice or resources you'd recommend? Or should I pretend it's no worse than Excel and just jump right in?  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:16 pm 

I use Excel for my collection only because it's small (the collection), but I know Access fairly well also.  It's pretty easy to learn, really, and I highly recommend it for someone with a bigger collection or someone who needs to keep track of more pieces of information about each item.  I'm sure you could just "jump right in" with it, at least the basic functions.  The best way might be to just open Access, import your current Excel spreadsheet, and start messing around.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:32 pm 

Radovarl wrote:The best way might be to just open Access, import your current Excel spreadsheet, and start messing around.

Ooooooh ... importing! I didn't realize you could do that; I like it! I might have to give that a shot.

Radovarl wrote:I highly recommend it for someone with a bigger collection

Sadly, that is not me. But I'm assuming Access would still work for small collections.  :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:37 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Any advice or resources you'd recommend? Or should I pretend it's no worse than Excel and just jump right in?  :)

Access isn't that bad, just jump right in.  The main difference between using something like Access vs Excel is that you try to avoid duplicating information.  So you would probably have a separate table that lists company info that would link to your entries in the items table (so you avoid typing in the company each time - just reference it from the Companies table).  

I'm not sure how many tables you really need in setting up a database - the obvious ones are an Items table, Company table, Store Purchased From table.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:56 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Sadly, that is not me. But I'm assuming Access would still work for small collections.  :)

It'll work, you just wouldn't derive as much benefit.  Access can make huge amounts of data much more manageable than they would be in Excel.  It'd still be a good way to learn the program.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:05 pm 

i've used access many times in the past. its a good little program and very easy to manipulate and quite easy to learn as well.

might not be a bad move....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:21 pm 

If you don't want to pay Microsoft to be able to track your items, you might want to check out MySQL.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:34 am 

Still using Excel, with hyperlinks to external documents..  

I made an attempt to convert to Access, but it turned out to be more work than I thought (to achive the desired results), so it was abandoned.

Gary H. Kramer

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:49 pm 

Mars wrote:Access isn't that bad, just jump right in.  The main difference between using something like Access vs Excel is that you try to avoid duplicating information.  So you would probably have a separate table that lists company info that would link to your entries in the items table (so you avoid typing in the company each time - just reference it from the Companies table).  

I'm not sure how many tables you really need in setting up a database - the obvious ones are an Items table, Company table, Store Purchased From table.

Everything Mars said is correct.  However, as databases go, Access is a horrible, horrible beast.  It's only saving grace is that it works on a typical Windows PC.  If you don't need to use a database, I'd recommend sticking with Excel.  It might not be as tidy but it gets the job done.

For my own collection, I use a technique called "looking at the pile of stuff in the corner".  Sometimes, I rummage through it like an untrained bulette.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:13 pm 

If you want to use a spreadsheet that is Microsoft compatible without having to pay for office try:

http://www.openoffice.org/

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:38 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
For my own collection, I use a technique called "looking at the pile of stuff in the corner".  Sometimes, I rummage through it like an untrained bulette.

Deim? i like your style dude :) a person after my own heart :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:58 pm 

:roll:

Get organized. Course it sucks having something on a list and not knowing where it is  :wink: (But I want to say I'm more like a blind Umber Hulk digging through the shelves and boxes)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:49 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Deim? i like your style dude :) a person after my own heart :D

Al

Me too! :lol:

A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:11 am 

Finding stuff> This is where i'm sorta glad my collection isn't that vast and we have that huuuuge set of shelves. I have one shelf.. seriously.. only ONE. out of about 12.. bah. My man keeps buying books so I just leech off his collection.. mwahahaha.
But, it does mean everything is nice and easy to find. It's on the D&D or AD&D shelf provided Rob hasn't taken one of the books to read and left it somewhere stupid (why oh WHY does he do this? Books do not belong under BEDS! or half under the sofa!)
I love my shelf of books, it's all meticulously organised unlike his shelves.. i'm a bit obsessive about things like that... hell, I'm the person who keeps her cd collection in alphabetical chronilogical order and will rearrange other peoples stuff because it bugs me.. i'm terrible.

"Somehow, in hell I knew there would be mushrooms"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:45 am 

flying_purple_monkfish wrote:I love my shelf of books, it's all meticulously organised unlike his shelves.. i'm a bit obsessive about things like that... hell, I'm the person who keeps her cd collection in alphabetical chronilogical order and will rearrange other peoples stuff because it bugs me.. i'm terrible.

hey just yesterday i found my kobold hall inside my bloodbowl box.

you know, i dont even remember putting it there and couldnt figure out where the hell it had gone! i'd also put 2 tourney mods inside my silver anniversary box and didnt realise they were there either :)

oh what fun, no wonder i can never find anything.

however on a lighter note, i DID find a packet of 6 old unused orange dice. gotta try and figure out now what the hell they belong to  :P

the joys of collecting :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext