Keeping track of one's collection
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:51 pm 

Radovarl wrote:And what would be the point?

This:

viewtopic.php?t=2657

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:54 pm 

Radovarl wrote:Keeps me from going nutso cuckoo; I mean, what's to stop any of us (aside from the size of the bank account) from going completely off the deep end and purchasing everything TSR ever published?  And what would be the point?

I think your pier is a bit short and maybe your deep end in a kiddy pool.  Collecting the other TSR games is pretty easy in the scope of things.  Most of them go for cheaper than D&D material and a lot of it can easily still be found in shrink.  Out of most of the other games like Boot Hill, Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Gangbusters, Marvel Superheroes, Conan, Top Secret, I am probably missing maybe half a dozen items to complete the collections.

What would be the point, you ask?  What is the point of collecting anything?  There is the enjoyment of finding out what was actually produced, hunting the items down, reading through them, reminiscing about seeing them on the shelves as a kid, etc.  A lot of these games have their start around the same time as D&D; Boot Hill, Metamorphosis Alpha, etc.  I think its interesting to see where the company started and how it developed.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:55 pm 

zhowar wrote:
This:

viewtopic.php?t=2657

I was just looking for that thread.

It also goes to show that you can always make more room on the bookshelves :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:59 pm 

Dude, that's just sad.  Don't get me wrong, that's one s-load of cool RPG stuff, and if I were stuck in a hurricane I would probably want to be there if I couldn't be in my own home, but come on...  There are starving children...somewhere.  Mine sure as hell would be if I bought all that.  I don't even envy it, I just feel sorry for the person who felt they needed it all.   :roll:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:03 pm 

Radovarl wrote:Dude, that's just sad.  Don't get me wrong, that's one s-load of cool RPG stuff, and if I were stuck in a hurricane I would probably want to be there if I couldn't be in my own home, but come on...  There are starving children...somewhere.  Mine sure as hell would be if I bought all that.  I don't even envy it, I just feel sorry for the person who felt they needed it all.   :roll:

Its crap like this that makes me want to stay away from here.  I/O is one of the top members of this hobby and he also a super nice guy to boot.  Maybe you should scale down your avatar and your mouth before you go ahead and pop off about the good people of this forum.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:05 pm 

Mars wrote:
I think your pier is a bit short and maybe your deep end in a kiddy pool.  Collecting the other TSR games is pretty easy in the scope of things.  Most of them go for cheaper than D&D material and a lot of it can easily still be found in shrink.  Out of most of the other games like Boot Hill, Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Gangbusters, Marvel Superheroes, Conan, Top Secret, I am probably missing maybe half a dozen items to complete the collections.

What would be the point, you ask?  What is the point of collecting anything?  There is the enjoyment of finding out what was actually produced, hunting the items down, reading through them, reminiscing about seeing them on the shelves as a kid, etc.  A lot of these games have their start around the same time as D&D; Boot Hill, Metamorphosis Alpha, etc.  I think its interesting to see where the company started and how it developed.

I guess I'm not really a "collector" per se.  I'm not really a gamer either (gasp).  Basically I'm a fantasy fiction fan who got sidetracked into D&D/AD&D at an impressionable age.  I guess I can see the thrill in seeking out these items as a hobby, but for me it's mostly based on nostalgia for the (many, many, many) hours I spent poring over the early AD&D books and modules.  I've little to no interest in the history of TSR as a company, etc.  Also, I'm a somewhat addictive personality, and I need to know when to quit, so setting limits on myself and trying to realize what I find really important to own is key.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:07 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Its crap like this that makes me want to stay away from here.  I/O is one of the top members of this hobby and he also a super nice guy to boot.  Maybe you should scale down your avatar and your mouth before you go ahead and pop off about the good people of this forum.

Woooah...  Okay, I apologize.  I just chose the avatar like 10 minutes ago, and realized myself that it's a bit large...  I didn't mean to insult anyone or ruffle feathers.  Wow.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:09 pm 

Radovarl wrote:Dude, that's just sad.  Don't get me wrong, that's one s-load of cool RPG stuff, and if I were stuck in a hurricane I would probably want to be there if I couldn't be in my own home, but come on...  There are starving children...somewhere.  Mine sure as hell would be if I bought all that.  I don't even envy it, I just feel sorry for the person who felt they needed it all.   :roll:

Wow, there's a big steamy pile or moral high ground bs if I ever heard it.  If you are looking to piss on people who spend too much money on frivolous things, I think there might be a few others out there that might be better examples to complain about.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:13 pm 

Sorry, I really didn't mean to offend anyone.  Maybe my words were ill-chosen.  I'm not moralizing about it; I was just stating how I personally approach collecting some of this stuff and the limits I need to set for myself, and my inability to understand less restrained approaches.  Clearly I've stepped on a hornet's nest, which was not my intention.  I'd delete the original post, but there are so many responses now it seems silly.  Again, my apologies.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:16 pm 

Back to the issue of how we keep track of our collections.

I use Microsoft Access.

I have one database for books / Games and another for Magazines.

Each item has a sequential number, title, year published, edition, print number, no. of prints that exist, letter code, number code, type of item, condition, value, complete / incomplete, author, comments.

I can then run queries on the database and print out just about anything. Eg. A list of my Judges Guild Items showing value and quality. The total value of items. The items which are incomplete. And so on.

Access is pretty easy to use and it only takes a minute to enter each new item.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:25 pm 

Sure its over the top...but then again, so is a 50k car.  I have a ten year old truck I bought for $800 that runs great....I personally wouldn't spend more than a few thousand on a vehicle, it's just something to drive around.  Some people spend fortunes on golf; others spend thousands on expensive vacations around the world.  Everyone has their personal money pit.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:28 pm 

Badmike wrote:I have a ten year old truck I bought for $800 that runs great....I personally wouldn't spend more than a few thousand on a vehicle, it's just something to drive around.

You bad Mike!  You're killing the environment!  Your carbon footprint must be huge.  My half ton is only 9 year old but I bought it new.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:31 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Sure its over the top...but then again, so is a 50k car.  I have a ten year old truck I bought for $800 that runs great....I personally wouldn't spend more than a few thousand on a vehicle, it's just something to drive around.  Some people spend fortunes on golf; others spend thousands on expensive vacations around the world.  Everyone has their personal money pit.

Mike B.

Thanks for the proportionate response, really.  I can't believe the hate PMs I've already gotten for that one...  That was my only point, that it's over the top.  Yes, I suppose everyone has their money pit (if they have the money).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:36 pm 

Radovarl wrote:
Thanks for the proportionate response, really.  I can't believe the hate PMs I've already gotten for that one...  That was my only point, that it's over the top.  Yes, I suppose everyone has their money pit (if they have the money).

I have a money pit, its called life :D   Really if it is your hobby then why not, I don't know how many of my "friends" look at me funny with my collection (again 12 bookcases, over 10,000 miniatures etc) and say what a waste of money and then go the bar or nightclub and blow $150.00 in one night just to piss it down the drain.  At least I keep my stuff and don't piss on it.

Its all about priority and such.   :wink:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:42 pm 

Mars wrote:
You bad Mike!  You're killing the environment!  Your carbon footprint must be huge.  My half ton is only 9 year old but I bought it new.

Hey it passes inspection every year...without even a $20 bill handshake at the end!!!  Besides we Americans don't have time to worry about that stuff, we let you foreigners deal with global warming.  8O   Leave it to the wacky Frenchies to "handle" it in a way guaranteed to make eyes roll across the world....
:roll:

Mike B.

BRUSSELS, April 3 (RIA Novosti) - The government of Belgium's French-speaking region of Wallonia, which has a population of about 4 million, has approved a tax on barbequing, local media reported.

Experts said that between 50 and 100 grams of CO2, a so-called greenhouse gas, is emitted during barbequing. Beginning June 2007, residents of Wallonia will have to pay 20 euros for a grilling session.

The local authorities plan to monitor compliance with the new tax legislation from helicopters, whose thermal sensors will detect burning grills.

Scientists believe CO2 emissions are a major cause of global warming.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:44 pm 

Radovarl wrote:

The hate PMs???  You PMed me first and I simply told you to not talk about about people who you know nothing about.  Here is all the hate in chronological order:

Radovarl wrote:What's with all the attitude?  I didn't mean any offense.

bclarkie wrote:Whats with the attitude? Did you just read what you wrote about someone that you have no idea who they are? I/O is one of the nicest and most respected memebrs of this community and for all you know he could donate 10 times the amount he spends on RPGs per year to charity. Before making condesending and undeserved statements about people, it might behoove you to know who you are speaking about.

Radovarl wrote:I think you might be overreacting a bit.  My comment wasn't really directed at anyone (I didn't even take note of who posted the pictures).  It wasn't meant as a personal attack against him or anyone else.  Cool down, already.

Radovarl wrote:I think you might be overreacting a bit.  My comment wasn't really directed at anyone (I didn't even take note of who posted the pictures).  It wasn't meant as a personal attack against him or anyone else.  Cool down, already.

bclarkie wrote:Ummm, I don't think I am overreacting one bit, especially considering that someone else posted the same thing right after me. Once again you may want to read what you wrote.....

Radovarl wrote:I have re-read what I wrote, and I think you're taking this way too far.  I'll delete the post if you find it so offensive, but I'm entitled to my opinion, and don't think it requires or calls for you to jump down my throat.  If I think the collection is excessive, then I feel I should be able to say so without being blasted.  If I had realized this was such a sensitive topic, I wouldn't have said a word.  I think if you'll look at the thread, you'll see I've already apologized for (inadvertently) offending anyone.  Can we just drop it?

Yeah dude, there some real hate in those messages.  Like I said above, its crap like this that makes me want to stay away....

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:45 pm 

You guys are lucky, I must have a dozen or more hobbies  :P

SH60B's quote of the weeK!!

SimperingToad wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Okay, I don't know if I've ever typed this before, but WTF?!!

Follow The Acaeum on Twitter @TheAcaeum

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:52 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Yeah dude, there some real hate in those messages.  Like I said above, its crap like this that makes me want to stay away....

Man, you are one angry fellow.  BTW, they're called "Private Messages" for a reason.  Sorry if I somehow caused you some emotional turmoil, but this has gone way too far.  I was merely expressing my opinion, which was that I believed the collection was a bit excessive.  Perhaps I didn't put it as subtly as I could have, and I've apologized.  I'm not sure why you feel you need to hound me about it so much; obviously I've touched a nerve.  Again, I'm sorry, I won't shoot my mouth off about this or any other collection again.  NOW, can we drop it?!

PreviousNext