Avid collector but need opinion of experts
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:01 pm 

I am an avid collector of D&D modules etc...but I havent played in over 5 years.  I am trying to get my old group back together to play next week, I have most of the old first and second edition modules, and wanted your opinion on a good module that we could finish in a couple of sessions maybe total of 10 hours.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bonz

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:18 pm 

My own recommendations for quality 2-session adventures would be (depending on party level and rules system):

U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh:  Probably the best choice for a starting group, since both N1 and T1 can become slow in the early going before they hit the dungeon.

N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God:  Can bog down to 3+ sessions if they spend too much time in town; otherwise, excellent for low-level characters.

A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity:  Satisfying and very quick to drop into.

I2 Tomb of the Lizard King:  One of my favorite dungeon crawls.

C2 Ghost Tower of Inverness:  Like A1, but with more of a focus on puzzle-solving, and more gimmicky than reality-based; some groups may not like the flavor, but for what it is, it's superior.

X4 Master of the Desert Nomads:  Diverse, challenging, quick-playing wilderness adventure; might need a bit of surgery at the ending if you're not moving on to X5.  Some groups may not appreciate the railroading, though.

S2 White Plume Mountain:  Can be finished off by a good group in 1 session, but it can kill the unwary quickly, too.  Any extra time can be filled in with Dragotha's Lair if desired.

Since old modules require a fair amount of conversion time, it really doesn't matter if you go back to D&D, AD&D 1st, or AD&D 2nd; but if you're playing straight second edition, someone else can probably make better recommendations than I can.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:00 pm 

For 10 or so hours, assuming low-level characters, I'd use L1 Secret of Bone Hill. There is a small town for NPC interaction if you desire, and you can trim out all the out-of-town encounters except the ruined castle if you like. I once ran it "trimmed down" in 8 hours or so. Awesome encounters and great treasure.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:00 pm 

The B series are all pretty good, but if your characters are high enough I would recomend WG4, WG5, or WG6. The Greyhawk modules are among my personal favorites.  Happy gaming!

Shawn

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:25 pm 

S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.

I love this module!  It is perfect for a one time only get togther as it has loot that is unuseable in future campaigns which is annoying if you are getting together regularly but perfect for a group like yours.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:28 pm 

Depending on your DM style, and how thorough your players are, any 1e module can be played in 4 days to 4 hours.  The modules that began  originally as tournaments @ GenCon would be your best bet for a quick pick-up game, and A1's the best tourney module there, so I'd go with that one :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:51 pm 

Thanks guys...I am thinking maybe one of the B series, L1, or A1.

I will read up this weekend and choose one.

Thanks again.