To Erase or not to Erase, That is the Question...
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:40 pm 

Okay, this is a pretty trivial question I suppose, but here goes...  

I recently acquired a copy of G1-2-3 in "Good" condition from an Amazon Marketplace seller, and need some advice.  To give you some background info, I am strictly what I would call a "nostalgia collector", meaning I'm only picking up AD&D modules and such that I actually owned and/or played through back in the glory days (for me, 1980 - 1988, roughly).  Condition and value are not major considerations for me, as I do not intend to resell anything, but I would like fairly decent copies that I can "pretend" are my originals.  I always treated my modules gently back then, and though I didn't use magazine bags or backings of any kind (if they even existed in the '80s), I would say my collection was mostly Fine-VF when I sold it before going off to college in '88.

The module was described as having some cover wear (which I assumed would be moderate to heavy), and on first inspection upon receiving it this afternoon wasn't too disappointed.  There's definitely wear, but no splitting and everything is intact.  However, when I began to leaf through the pages and examine the two folder maps, I found that there is relatively extensive pencil writing throughout, mostly margin notes in the text and the "names" of the rooms on the folder maps.  The person who wrote them didn't press too hard, but obviously didn't intend to erase these marks later either.

My question is this...  I'd like to erase these marks, but should I?  They don't interfere with reading the module or maps, just with my intentional self-delusion that this is my original copy.  I don't ever intend to sell it (and it ain't worth much with or without the pencil marks), so that's not a consideration.  What do you think?  If I do erase, can anyone recommend a good eraser for this purpose?  Am I likely to damage the legibility of the folder maps?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

David

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:13 pm 

Radovarl wrote:
My question is this...  I'd like to erase these marks, but should I?  They don't interfere with reading the module or maps, just with my intentional self-delusion that this is my original copy.  I don't ever intend to sell it (and it ain't worth much with or without the pencil marks), so that's not a consideration.  What do you think?  If I do erase, can anyone recommend a good eraser for this purpose?  Am I likely to damage the legibility of the folder maps?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

David

Use a large (2") Pink Pearl eraser. I just erased 4 entire pages of pencil underlining and notes that was not indented into the paper and you cannot even tell. Worked like a charm for me so hope it work for you.

Kosh

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:15 pm 

Thanks, I'll try that.  I'm ashamed to say I don't even have a pencil (wooden, mechanical, or otherwise) in the house, so I knew I'd have to go buy an eraser in any case.  The writing is on the light side, so I'm hopeful.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:12 pm 

The thing to remember with erasers is that they can actually rub off paper, not just lead. However, th chance of it selling for $500 if you ever decide to resell it is somewhat remote, unless you get a former industry-related figure to roger it or hang it on his study wall for a while. I don't think a little rubbing would matter.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:20 pm 

Having said famous person's dog roger it may help as well.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:25 pm 

I must be missing something :).  I could always buy a dog, name it Gary Gygax, and go from there...

I bought the module for $5.99 plus shipping, and that was too much.  So I agree, I don't think a $500 sale is in the cards.  I will erase with the lightest possible pressure, rest assured.  Most of the pencil writing is in "white" areas anyway, so wouldn't detract much from readability if a bit of rubbing took place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:15 am 

If you cannot live with the pencil markings...which are a bit of history in themselves, right?...then use a white eraser.  They are softer and they erase better and do less damage to the page.  

Snag a dozen white eraser pencils in a pack from the local "dollar" store.  Think of them as tools.  Erase.

But...I would leave the marks unless they totally suck for  you.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:44 am 

[quote="FormCritic"]If you cannot live with the pencil markings...which are a bit of history in themselves, right?...then use a white eraser.  They are softer and they erase better and do less damage to the page.  
quote]

Yeah, the marks are history, just not my history with the module in question.  G1-2-3 was, I believe, the first module I purchased after switching from the Basic Set/Expert Set (which included B2 & X1, respectively, as I'm sure you all know) to AD&D, so really it was my first AD&D mod.  So, I have tons of memories of it.  I could probably walk blindfolded through the Steading at very least.

On the other hand, the writing is small, very neat, and not excessive.  It's not just random notes strewn everywhere; many of the numbered rooms on the map are only labeled with the name of the area from the text, and within the adventure itself there are neatly written margin notes such as "2 Polar Bears, treat as Cave Bears," and such-like.  I've seen worse.  I guess I'll purchase a couple of different erasers, try them on a small area, and decide after I see how it turns out.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:24 pm 

My book repair manual indicates that you should use a 'gum art eraser'. Rub from the inner page to the outer page to avoid creating wrinkles. Hope that helps.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:33 pm 

Okay, so we have one vote for "Pink Pearl", a couple for a "white eraser" (as opposed to pink, I guess), and one for "Gum Art".  Wow, I had no idea.  Just for giggles, I might buy one of each and try erasing pencil writing on a regular old piece of paper to get a feel for it.  

Thanks for the tip about erasing from inner to outer page.  At this point I feel like I should be wearing latex gloves and wear a surgical mask too.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:06 pm 

The gum art eraser is the same as the white eraser. It is vinyl rather than rubber. The pink ones are variable and sometimes contain vegetable oil which can stain the paper being erased.

The two art/white eraser brands I am familiar with are Eberhard/Faber and
staedtler.

http://www.staedtler.com/home_gb.Staedt ... iveID=2131
(the one that you are looking for is on their main page)

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:53 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:http://www.staedtler.com/home_gb.Staedt ... iveID=2131
(the one that you are looking for is on their main page)

That's the one I use.  I like it better than the red rubber ones.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:29 pm 

Man, I cannot stand writing in collectible materials — the only thing worse is highlighting.

I'm going to be bookmarking this thread to refer to for the next time I receive a module filled with a 12-year-old's notes on his 19th-level paladin's entire career. Thanks for the good advice, everyone.

FormCritic wrote:...which are a bit of history in themselves, right?...

Um ... okay. If by "history" you mean "DM's notes from a complete stranger," then, yes, this item sounds very historical. :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:16 pm 

Radovarl wrote:Okay, so we have one vote for "Pink Pearl", a couple for a "white eraser" (as opposed to pink, I guess), and one for "Gum Art".  Wow, I had no idea.  Just for giggles, I might buy one of each and try erasing pencil writing on a regular old piece of paper to get a feel for it.  

Thanks for the tip about erasing from inner to outer page.  At this point I feel like I should be wearing latex gloves and wear a surgical mask too.

Instead of buying all those erasers just get another copy :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:25 pm 

I think the only time erasing is questionable is on the maps (and in that case you'll probably want to get an eraser shield). Pencil on the blue areas of the maps will usually come off but only with some blue color with it. Usually it's not too much, so I usually go ahead with it. Everywhere else in the booklet erasing improves the aesthetics of the module considerably.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:05 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I'm going to be bookmarking this thread to refer to for the next time I receive a module filled with a 12-year-old's notes on his 19th-level paladin's entire career. Thanks for the good advice, everyone.

Sounds like a story in there somewhere...do tell  :)

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:42 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:

I'm going to be bookmarking this thread to refer to for the next time I receive a module filled with a 12-year-old's notes on his 19th-level paladin's entire career. Thanks for the good advice, everyone.

I love getting old character sheets/adventure write ups/campaign ideas - the sort of thing you often find tucked in the bottom of boxed sets.
Such stuff transports you instantly to another time and place - it may be someone elses memories but they hold such a resonance for me at least.

(and it's amazing how many peoples characters had 4 or more statistics of 17+ (and the proliferation of vorpal swords...... )) :lol:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:03 pm 

I didn't mention it initially, but there were two character sheets and a few pages of notes (all neatly written, like the notes in the module), "tucked" as you say in the middle of the module.  I immediately opened my kitchen wastebasket and tossed them in.  I didn't buy the module hoping for someone else's history, by George, I bought it for the adventure itself...

Next