U.S. sellers: new postage rates on May 14
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:05 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:** bump **

Well, here we go ... Monday is the 14th. There seems to be a lot of confusion out there over some of the new size/weight restrictions and the elimination or alteration of certain forms of "traditional" shipping.

Personally, I'm going to do nothing but flat-rate shipping and CD-selling (they are easy, five-ounce items) for about a month or so, just to let things shake out a bit.

Good luck, everyone ...  :)

I have been shipping most packages using ebay/paypal's system this week, it's going pretty smoothly.  Unfortunately, as of Sunday they have not updated their website to show the new prices going into effect, making it impossible to print out shipping labels at this time. So I will be going back to the old way at least until they get their shit together.
   The big problem the next month is going to be postal employees who don't have a clue.  Every price change, there are a handful who have no idea what is going on and I have to tell them what to do (worse are the ones that not only don't know what is going on, but give you wrong instructions).  Flat rate is not an option with some of the items I sell, unfortunately, so I can't wait until the fall-out next week.... :cry:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:04 pm 

I've seen where a lot of gaming companies have inserted some announcements on their news pages concerning the different ways they will be dealing with the new rates and rules, but Fantasy Flight Games' solution appears to be unique: no USPS shipping for the time being.

Not that I blame them; FFG produces a lot of bigger, heavier games, and those are the sorts of items that now have vastly different shipping policies than they had last week.

The actual announcement is here, if anyone is interested:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:40 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I've seen where a lot of gaming companies have inserted some announcements on their news pages concerning the different ways they will be dealing with the new rates and rules, but Fantasy Flight Games' solution appears to be unique: no USPS shipping for the time being.

Not that I blame them; FFG produces a lot of bigger, heavier games, and those are the sorts of items that now have vastly different shipping policies than they had last week.

The actual announcement is here, if anyone is interested:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/

((slightly off topic))
Good to see Grimm has a chance to make it out in Aug, been waiting for that since they put out the little d20 book couple years now I think. Will be interesting to see what rules system they design for it this time, but I'm more interested in the fluff.
((Back on topic))

So I'd like to here if anyone has shipped something today and how it went..also is the Ebay shipping calculator updated? Inquiring sellers want to know :)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:38 pm 

Plaag wrote:
((slightly off topic))
Good to see Grimm has a chance to make it out in Aug, been waiting for that since they put out the little d20 book couple years now I think. Will be interesting to see what rules system they design for it this time, but I'm more interested in the fluff.
((Back on topic))

So I'd like to here if anyone has shipped something today and how it went..also is the Ebay shipping calculator updated? Inquiring sellers want to know :)

ShaneG.

The ebay/paypal shipping calculator is operational.  The big changes are that youhave to measure your box size now if it's not a flat rate envelope or box, since it costs more the bigger it is as well as the more it weighs.  Also, I've noticed international options only come up global priority and global express.....the international first class option (basically, the old airmail) isn't given as a choice, I don't know if that will be corrected in the future or not.  
   The USPS web site has been down pretty much all day...maybe from so many people trying to access it.  It's pretty much impossible to give international shipping quotes to packages not going into a flat rate envelope or box due to this.  As the week goes on hopefully it will be updated on able to give shipping quotes.  I went to the local PO today to drop off some packages and get postage for a couple of first class envelopes.  All the employees at the windows have this giant "rate calculation based on sized) sheet that is in front of them that they have to hold the envelopes or boxes up to to get the rate...man, I really felt sorry for them.  The one I talked to said the switch over so far has been a nightmare.  She said they really didn't train them much on the conversions and she had some trouble locating the right buttons to push while doing my packages.  I would recommend for anyone going inside a post office in the near future to know EXACTLY what you want, otherwise you might be chaged for something else.
  As always, amazed at the absolute crappy way the USPS manages to somehow run itself....I saw today they lost money again in the last quarter, no surprise there.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:40 pm 

Plaag wrote:

ShaneG.

I shipped a bunch of stuff today, but I use endicia not ebay shipping so can't help you there.  Endicia was updated fully, no hassles.  My only problem is I don't have any of the new shipping materials!  None seem to be at the offices locally and I wasn't able to order them online til a couple of days ago so I probably won't get them til next week.  I know I can use the old mailers no problem, but I am actually out of the old global priority ones so I'm sort of at a loss as to what I can do to ship globally from here til next week.  Will regular old priority mailers work?  I'm probably going to go searching for answers on the moron-fest that is the ebay message board community.  Wish me luck!  ;)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:33 pm 

Reindeergamez wrote:I'm probably going to go searching for answers on the moron-fest that is the ebay message board community.  Wish me luck!  ;)

Without question, the most useless set of message boards on the entire interwebs. You'll need more than luck ...  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:09 pm 

Reindeergamez wrote:
I shipped a bunch of stuff today, but I use endicia not ebay shipping so can't help you there.  Endicia was updated fully, no hassles.  My only problem is I don't have any of the new shipping materials!  None seem to be at the offices locally and I wasn't able to order them online til a couple of days ago so I probably won't get them til next week.  I know I can use the old mailers no problem, but I am actually out of the old global priority ones so I'm sort of at a loss as to what I can do to ship globally from here til next week.  Will regular old priority mailers work?  I'm probably going to go searching for answers on the moron-fest that is the ebay message board community.  Wish me luck!  ;)

Wow, the USPS website finally slowed down enough for me to get on and check some prices. Get ready, international friends, to get socked in the nuts for shipping.  Before, a single paperback in a padded envelope would cost $5 to ship to the UK; now it is $9 for the same service. To Australia it is $11 if I figured correctly. Almost all international postage has doubled.  Geez!  They are really, really steering sellers to flat rate envelopes and boxes.  For international buyers, it would seem the best deal is to get as many items as you can from one buyer and have them stuffed inside a flat rate box, even at $37 you will save money.  
   Reindeer, I believe now that priority mail flat rate boxes are interchangable with the global priority ones, and ditto on the envelopes.  I have asked quite a few postal employees in the last few days and they all concur on this; I also asked a USPS employee that I talked to on the phone. Now, being as that the average USPS employee is 3 INT pts higher than a rock, I don't know if that is for certain, but I have one of the new global prioirty flat rate boxes in front of me and it's basically identical to the USPS regular one.  So I think you are ok using the priority mail boxes and envelopes for international shipments.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:16 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Wow, the USPS website finally slowed down enough for me to get on and check some prices. Get ready, international friends, to get socked in the nuts for shipping.  Before, a single paperback in a padded envelope would cost $5 to ship to the UK; now it is $9 for the same service. To Australia it is $11 if I figured correctly. Almost all international postage has doubled.  Geez!  They are really, really steering sellers to flat rate envelopes and boxes.  For international buyers, it would seem the best deal is to get as many items as you can from one buyer and have them stuffed inside a flat rate box, even at $37 you will save money.  
   Reindeer, I believe now that priority mail flat rate boxes are interchangable with the global priority ones, and ditto on the envelopes.  I have asked quite a few postal employees in the last few days and they all concur on this; I also asked a USPS employee that I talked to on the phone. Now, being as that the average USPS employee is 3 INT pts higher than a rock, I don't know if that is for certain, but I have one of the new global prioirty flat rate boxes in front of me and it's basically identical to the USPS regular one.  So I think you are ok using the priority mail boxes and envelopes for international shipments.

Mike B.

Oh, and rejoice my Italian brothers...shipping to Italy has become much easier.  It is now possible to finally send global priority envelopes and packages! (Greece also).

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:33 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Now, being as that the average USPS employee is 3 INT pts higher than a rock ...

Mike B.

LMAO  :D

Damn, now that's funny!  It's been a long time since I've heard D&D stats applied to the real world!  :) Thanks for the laugh.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:37 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:
LMAO  :D

It's been a long time since I've heard D&D stats applied to the real world!  

Don't you do this all the time?!

I sometimes only just stop myself from insulting people's stats out loud.
(I have a reaonably high INT, but woeful WIS :lol: )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:54 pm 

gyg wrote:
Don't you do this all the time?!

I sometimes only just stop myself from insulting people's stats out loud.
(I have a reaonably high INT, but woeful WIS :lol: )

No, not for a long time.  :(  It's hard to work into conversation with most people who have never played. + 3 what?   :wink:  I'll try it out on the WOW junkies in our office.  Perhaps, they'll have some glimmer of what I'm saying.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:51 am 

Badmike wrote:
. Now, being as that the average USPS employee is 3 INT pts higher than a rock, I don't know if that is for certain, but I have one of the new global prioirty flat rate boxes in front of me and it's basically identical to the USPS regular one.  So I think you are ok using the priority mail boxes and envelopes for international shipments.

Mike B.

Methinks the rock should be insulted!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :roll:  :!:  (Both the actual rock and the wrestler turned movie star!!) :lol:

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:52 am 

Where can I get information on Surface or Sea Mail from the US to Australia. When I visit the USPS site, it seems to list only airmail options:

- Global Express Guaranteed
- Express Mail International
- Priority Mail International (I see the <4lb flat rate envelope has gone up to $11.00)

http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ab.15.12.htm#ep1572941

The reason I ask is I am contemplating buying a large lot from the US, but airmail is prohibitively expensive.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:52 am 

Being serious for a moment:  With the increases, anyone heard how this will affect boxes, etc. in transit from anywhere outside the U.S. inbound (or U.S. to overseas outbound)?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:55 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Where can I get information on Surface or Sea Mail from the US to Australia. When I visit the USPS site, it seems to list only airmail options:

- Global Express Guaranteed
- Express Mail International
- Priority Mail International (I see the <4lb flat rate envelope has gone up to $11.00)

http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ab.15.12.htm#ep1572941

The reason I ask is I am contemplating buying a large lot from the US, but airmail is prohibitively expensive.

Surface mail no longer exists.  Part of that trend for higher prices for foriegn buyers. Heavy orders are going to be very expensive from here on out.  A flat rate box is $37, though.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:57 am 

sleepyCO wrote:Being serious for a moment:  With the increases, anyone heard how this will affect boxes, etc. in transit from anywhere outside the U.S. inbound (or U.S. to overseas outbound)?

It shouldn't affect those packages/mail at all. Anything mailed before Sunday will ship normally if it had the correct postage for the pre-may 14th levels.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:35 am 

Badmike wrote:
Surface mail no longer exists.  Part of that trend for higher prices for foriegn buyers. Heavy orders are going to be very expensive from here on out.  A flat rate box is $37, though.

Mike B.

Thanks for that info. I guess then if I buy a 30lb lot, I am in for two $37 boxes. I wonder if shipping companies have cheaper options for large weights?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:10 am 

Thought I would resurrect this thread . . . a recent post by Serl (who's a great guy) got me thinking:

serleran wrote:And then, there are the ones who refuse to allow other shipping methods, which I find to be total BS, outright. For example, maybe I don't want my item in 2-3 days (priority) when I can get it in 3-5 (flat rate) for half. I think I'm going to stop bidding on all auctions that don't let me pick my shipping method. After all, once I pay for it, its no longer the seller's item... its mine; they have my money and my item; why should they be the ones to dictate how I get my own stuff? I can have it sent to me however the hell I want, and if it gets lost or screwed up, it should be my fault because I didn't request it be sent in a better manner.

Needless, this little thing with eBay pisses me off to no end.

I must say, that several months later I am happy and content at home . . . I have not set foot in a post office (except to buy stamps  :D  ) for 4 months.  Hats off to the postal service!  All packages including ALL international packages get picked up at my door.    Prior to this, I still had to go to the post office 2 or 3 times a week to send out international mail.

But what does this have to do with Serl's post?  Well, automatic international shipping is ONLY for Priority Mail International.  This is often a good deal, especially the Flat Rate Envelopes.  But often I could still send it letter post for cheaper - especially when shipping to Canada.  Except . . . automatic shipping isn't available for Letter Post.  So, screw it, I won't offer to mail it that way.  I'm not driving to the post office so I can mail one stupid item for $4.00 less.

And another thing . . . Media Mail is NOT available for automatic shipping UNLESS the purchase is through ebay/paypal.  So, sometimes on private transactions, I have to go to USPS online shipping and Priority is the only option.  Again, now I am completely spoiled and won't go to the post office, so I have a little loophole where I paypal myself 1 cent from my Wife's account and then use this transaction to Print a Paypal shipping label and edit the address to the one where I want the package to go.

And, of course, I don't have a FEDEX or UPS account and even though it might be easy, I would NEVER ship that way as I'm unwilling to devote even 2 minutes of time to figuring out how to do it (and I'm sure it would take more than 2 mintues! )  Of course, in 5 years no one has ever requested I use those methods anyway, so it hardly matters.

All those hundreds of trips to the post office are all just a distant memory now . . .   8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Last edited by Beyondthebreach on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext