U.S. sellers: new postage rates on May 14
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:24 pm 

I almost put this in the off-topic thread, but decided it affects enough of us here to warrant a separate listing.

Anyway, U.S.-based eBay sellers will want to take a look at the new USPS rates approved for a May 14 debut. This is especially important for those of us who like to use and re-use listing templates, as forgetting to change the templates will end up cost us some money.

The new flat-rate fees for Priority Mail are especially interesting. Or horrifying, depending on your point of view.

Here's the AP story: New USPS rates

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:57 pm 

Thanks for the heads-up, Xaxaxe!

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:41 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I almost put this in the off-topic thread, but decided it affects enough of us here to warrant a separate listing.

Anyway, U.S.-based eBay sellers will want to take a look at the new USPS rates approved for a May 14 debut. This is especially important for those of us who like to use and re-use listing templates, as forgetting to change the templates will end up cost us some money.

The new flat-rate fees for Priority Mail are especially interesting. Or horrifying, depending on your point of view.

Bad news for our international friends....shipping from the US to Canada and overseas has gone up immensely.  Flat rate envelopes went up a mind boggling $1.50 each! (from $7.50 to $9 to Canada; from $9.50 to $11 elsewhere). Wow! Get ready to fork over more for buying from the US I'm afraid....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:36 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I almost put this in the off-topic thread, but decided it affects enough of us here to warrant a separate listing.

Keep getting an error for the link:

Error: Invalid story key (J7,20070320,NEWS18,703190360,AR).

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:06 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:

Kosh;

Just go to the USPS website, there will be a link somewhere.  Basically, flat rate priority US is going up to $4.60 from $4.05 for envelopes, and $9.15 from $8.10 for flat rate boxes.  I love how the USPS always acts like they are just raising the cost "a few cents"; of course that is for the cheapest 1st rate postage only.  Everything else goes up enormously, particularly the priority postage.  They have to make up for the large amounts of consumers that are no longer using the postal service to send letters and cards (emails instead) or pay their bills through the mail (using services to pay all bills online).  Unfortunately, the cost is only passed on to the consumer (people like myself and my customers) who see their disposable income for games and such cut tremendously, due to rising shipping rates. Not to mention that I now have to go through 1500 listings in my ebay store and change the shipping prices by hand...sheesh.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:21 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:

Whoops; my bad. I think I linked it up to the local newspaper, and I believe they only leave stories up for a few days.

The USPS site does have all the gory details, though. Egads.  8O

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:04 am 

Well, I've been doing some research on the upcoming postal changes . . . this is going to seriously affect international customers buying from the US.

On the plus side, everything will be able to be tracked.

On the negative side, if it doesn't fit in a Flat Rate envelope (for $11.00), expect to pay $37.00 to ship most items . . . at the least.

Basically, all surface and airmail parcel post are being eliminated.  All packages must go by Priority Mail International (there is also an express service for much more).  There is the current Flat Rate envelope and a Flat Rate Box for $37.00. If it doesn't fit in an envelope, it will have to go in either a Flat Rate box or a "Pay by Weight" system.  However, once the 4 lbs (1.8kg) mark is reached, the "Pay by Weight" will mostly equal and then exceed the Flat Rate.

While, this makes everything easier, it will definitely bump up international cost.   On, the plus side, it will definitely help out with shipping to Australia as their rates were very high and the Flat Rate box will usually be a step down in cost  :D

By the way, for Canada, the Flat Rates are $9.00 and $23.00 respectively.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:08 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:The new flat-rate fees for Priority Mail are especially interesting. Or horrifying, depending on your point of view.

Nasty.  But probably justifiable (at least short-term).  Wait till you see what gas prices are going to hit this summer.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:17 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Well, I've been doing some research on the upcoming postal changes . . . this is going to seriously affect international customers buying from the US.

On the negative side, if it doesn't fit in a Flat Rate envelope (for $11.00), expect to pay $37.00 to ship most items . . . at the least.

Basically, all surface and airmail parcel post are being eliminated.  All packages must go by Priority Mail International (there is also an express service for much more).  There is the current Flat Rate envelope and a Flat Rate Box for $37.00. If it doesn't fit in an envelope, it will have to go in either a Flat Rate box or a "Pay by Weight" system.  However, once the 4 lbs (1.8kg) mark is reached, the "Pay by Weight" will mostly equal and then exceed the Flat Rate.

While, this makes everything easier, it will definitely bump up international cost.   On, the plus side, it will definitely help out with shipping to Australia as their rates were very high and the Flat Rate box will usually be a step down in cost  :D

I was under the impression that they were only eliminating all surface mail options, but I thought Airmail was going to stay at just higher costs like eveything else.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:28 am 

Weel for anyone interested here is the freaking text book of information on all the new rates and products:

http://www.usps.com/mailpro/2007/marapril/page1.htm

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:31 am 

http://www.usps.com/communications/news ... 07_033.pdf

Interesting..means Italy should be easier to send to, and possibly cheaper?

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:57 am 

Shape-based Pricing
The new prices also reflect differences in the costs of handling letters, large envelopes (flats) and packages. Mailers are encouraged to consider options available to reduce postage costs. For example, if the contents of a First-Class Mail large envelope are folded and placed in a letter-sized envelope, mailers can reduce postage by as much as 39 cents per piece.

Wow! Just think about it ... a newbie seller will be able to save 39 cents on postage by folding up a mono G1 and shoving it into a regular envelope...  :twisted:

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:59 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Well, I've been doing some research on the upcoming postal changes . . . this is going to seriously affect international customers buying from the US.

Wow.  In most cases it will be cheaper for me to ship, say, 8 modules in three flat rate envelopes ($33) than a flat rate box ($37) to Europe. This will hurt those that want to just one box set or oversized item (say, two hardcover books) but be good for those who want a really heavy box set or two.
  I predict a lot of angry European buyers and cancelled transactions for the first few weeks......"What do you mean that Forgotten Realms box set is $37 to mail?  Just send it airmail! Oh, Airmail doesn't exist anymore?  Well, then I don't want it."  Ugh.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:52 am 

My Bags will still be available, but no more Surface Mail - only Airmail.

The Rates are here:

http://www.usps.com/ratecase/intlrates/ ... .1.10.html

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:51 pm 

Anyone know how these new rates would compare to, say, shipping internationally by UPS, Airborne, FedEx, DHL, etc.?  

(Sounds like it would be cheaper mailing TO the U.S. than mailing FROM the U.S. :roll:  :!: )

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:35 pm 

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd wander on over and express my opinions of this latest postal rate hike...

Well, obviously I'm not happy about it, especially as US flat rate priority mail goes up a whopping 55 cents -- guess I'll have to start doing delivery confirmation another way or something.

Also looks like the international customer is going to get porked for single items with the way they're restructuring things.

I can tell you this -- I'm not doing any eBay listings in May until the new rates have gone up.  I'll need the time to research all the price hikes, plus I don't want anybody caught "in between" rates (i.e., paying for the pre-May 14 postage rates but not getting the payment until after then -- I can see this being a headache and a half)...

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:16 am 

Wandering Monster wrote:Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd wander on over and express my opinions of this latest postal rate hike...

Well, obviously I'm not happy about it, especially as US flat rate priority mail goes up a whopping 55 cents -- guess I'll have to start doing delivery confirmation another way or something.

Delivery confirmation is FREE when you print your postage online through Paypal or using Click n Ship with www.usps.com.  If you haven't been doing it already, you should definitely be doing it now.  

For anyone who sells even a small amount of items, there is no excuse not to use automatic postage!  Were talking 65 cents for Priority or 75 cents Media/Parcel  for Delivery Confirmation (yes, these rates have gone up too).  If you mail just 50 packages a year, that would cover the cost of a cheap printer for your computer and odds are most everyone has a printer already . . .

I know badmike  :wink:  still does it the old way and I know the post office is right by his house.  But here is something that even he won't be able to argue with:

There is a 4-pound weight limit for the Priority Mail International Flat-Rate Envelope and a 20-pound weight limit for the Priority Mail International Flat-Rate Boxes. Tracking information will be available. Limited insurance coverage is included on Priority Mail International items, with the exception of the Priority Mail International Flat-Rate Envelope, where Registered Service will be available at the mailer's option. Receive a 5 percent online postage discount using Click-N-Ship or authorized postage vendor.

I bolded out the important last sentence.  That's a 5% discount for printing and purchasing international postage online.  That means $.55 cents off each Priority Flat Rate and $1.85 off a Priority Flat Rate box!  The post office wants everyone to take care of this online and they're going to make sure the switch is made.  Can't say I blame them . . .

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:33 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
I bolded out the important last sentence.  That's a 5% discount for printing and purchasing international postage online.  That means $.55 cents off each Priority Flat Rate and $1.85 off a Priority Flat Rate box!  The post office wants everyone to take care of this online and they're going to make sure the switch is made.  Can't say I blame them . . .

I know, I saw that.  I may be swayed to change my Luddite ways with that.  It's like throwing money in the toilet to not buy postage online anymore....!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Next