D&D Original Art
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:20 am 

Hello, i'm new to the forum, but old to AD&D and collecting.  I have a large comic book collection and some original art, much smaller (but expanding) D&D collection, but i have been looking for AD&D art for a long time and haven't seen a single vintage piece for sale.  I do own the original art for the Marrishi by Quinton Hoover from the 3rd edition MM but that is more because i'm a QH fan from M:tG and have the original art to the Wand of Ith and have exchanged lots of emails with him.

Anyone know of information on line on old school D&D art, art collections, any art for sale/trade, or anything else on the topic?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:08 am 

Hal Jordan wrote:Hello, i'm new to the forum, but old to AD&D and collecting.  I have a large comic book collection and some original art, much smaller (but expanding) D&D collection, but i have been looking for AD&D art for a long time and haven't seen a single vintage piece for sale.  I do own the original art for the Marrishi by Quinton Hoover from the 3rd edition MM but that is more because i'm a QH fan from M:tG and have the original art to the Wand of Ith and have exchanged lots of emails with him.

Anyone know of information on line on old school D&D art, art collections, any art for sale/trade, or anything else on the topic?

hey chummer

there are quite a few threads on the forum that deal with art and they crop up all the time. do a search and you should easily find them. i would provide the links for you, but i just dont have the time :)

you might want to look up a member on here, called Tsrart: profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=68

he deals with that sort of thing all the time. if he cant help you, i am most certain he can put you in touch with someone who can.

also, have a word with Badmike. he had a piece commissioned from one of the renowned artists a while back, which was pretty amazing.

so there you go, at least a few options for you :)

Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:28 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
hey chummer

there are quite a few threads on the forum that deal with art and they crop up all the time. do a search and you should easily find them. i would provide the links for you, but i just dont have the time :)

you might want to look up a member on here, called Tsrart: profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=68

he deals with that sort of thing all the time. if he cant help you, i am most certain he can put you in touch with someone who can.

also, have a word with Badmike. he had a piece commissioned from one of the renowned artists a while back, which was pretty amazing.

so there you go, at least a few options for you :)

Al

There are several places on the internet where D&D art is sold, often for amazing prices. Most of the best items are in private collector hands and either are unlikely to ever see the light of day again, or when they do will go for some ridiculous price.  You might get in contact with one of the old school artists and commision an orignal work by that artist; it can be of an existing piece, just updated, to give it that old school feel.  I have a nice piece by Roslof mimicking the cover of Q1; I know someone else here got a piece resembling the cover of D1-2.  Jeff Dee has a web site offering original artwork; I bet if you tried an Erol Otus or Holloway original could be commissioned for a price.
 Personally, while it would be great to own an existing piece, if/when I ever start collecting more art, I think original pieces are the way to go.  They are unique and can be personalized!

Mike B

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:47 pm 

Here is a link to Pat Wilshire's(TSRart) great website for Fantasy/Sci-Fi art collectors:

http://www.munchkinpress.com/

In the collections of several members you will notice some TSR artwork. Not very much old stuff though. As to purchasing artwork, google artists names and you will probably find a few with originals for sale. My brother and I have quite a bit of artwork but not much is posted at Pat's site yet. We don't have anything for sale though.

-Shawn

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:00 pm 

I am embarassed to say i had a hard time finding the search link...but after much "searching" i found it, and a few interesting links, in addition to those posted here.

I still didn't find much in the way of old school stuff.  Of course i could commission one of the original artists, many of them are still active, and many of the names and links you provided i had already checked out.  I guess there just isn't much info on the web about the old school original art of D&D and where these peices are and if any of them are for sale other than the occasional painted piece of cover art that goes for a lot of $.  I'd love to have just one of those little pen and ink interior illustrations though, especially a Trampier or Dee...maybe we can start a gallery, and people that own some of the originals might provide scans?

thanks to those of you that replied.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:48 pm 

Jeff Dee doesn't have anything left from his TSR days. As to Trampier, from what I've heard he doesn't want to be contacted or have anything to do with his past in role-playing. Most 1st Edition TSR artwork is either in collectors hands or is in a landfill.
:(

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:28 pm 

Hi - to put it mildly, the financial collapse of TSR was a complete and utter travesty.  Nothing was done professionally, everything was haphazard, poorly documented and in many cases with outright malice toward the employees.

You can get a bit of the idea here:
post-73756.html

You can learn about Trampier (my fave) the grand master / anonymous cab driver here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Trampier

You can say hi to Jeff Dee here:
http://www.io.com/unigames/jeffdee.html

You can learn about TSR's collapse here, among a thousand other places:
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=243888

You can find Ryan Dancey's analysis during the TSR/WotC takeover here (can't find the original anymore, scroll down to Fid's post 5/16/2006):
http://dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic ... 79c9a80ca3

In short IMO:
* You will find very few TSR original art pieces.
* Several of the artists are either dead, or want nothing to do with remembering their D&D days.
* You should try to respect the wishes of the anonymous (Trampier etc.)
* The artists still working (Dee, Holloway, Otus, many others) are quality guys and those who want patronage and/or appreciation should be supported.

Classic D&D art collecting is actually a pretty sad field, although we have had some awesome stories (the re-recognition of DCS III by the fans for example, which was great).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:48 pm 

DCS III?  :?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:51 pm 

FormCritic wrote:DCS III?  :?

David C. Sutherland. He passed away a couple of years ago IIRC. Paul Stormberg auctioned some of his stuff off for him right before he died.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:05 am 

Great summary of past posts, thank you for assembling them, i would never have found them all.

Very sad indeed that all of those images exist now only in the printed form, that the originals are lost forever.

I did see somewhere in my comic book days a willingham, the back of one of the modules, a man standing with sword if i remember correctly.  The art on the back of the module shows the man from waist up, but the best part was he had a topless gal clinging to his legs in the original art!  Anyone else seen it?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:42 am 

yes that pic has been posted here before.. did a quick search o it but didn't find it.. must be tired;)

Brette:)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:38 am 

Hal - take a look at this thread. This is the one beasterbrook was looking for. The Willingham is posted on the third page. Lots of other pics of artwork posted as well.

viewtopic.php?t=5010

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:05 pm 

zhowar wrote:Hal - take a look at this thread. This is the one beasterbrook was looking for. The Willingham is posted on the third page. Lots of other pics of artwork posted as well.

viewtopic.php?t=5010

I figured you guys had probably discussed it here before.

I really enjoyed Kevin Mayle's reproductions as well.  They capture the original flavor but are clearly in his own style, which is complementary.

Hal

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:26 pm 

Hey, thanks! I'm working on a huge new project that involves hundreds of my representations of TSR art from 1971-1989.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:37 pm 

Hey all!

Not a whole lot to add - the posts thus far have pretty well covered the situation for vintage TSR pieces. The Caldwell/Parkinson/Easley/Elmore era and beyond is pretty well represented, but before that a tremendous percentage of stuff is just GONE.

Part of the problem is that once those pieces get into collections they don't leave, because they don't carry high enough price tags to justify parting with. It's one thing to let go of a piece you like from your collection because you get offered $12k . . . . it's very different when you're talking about a $200 piece. For most people, it's just not enough money to be worth the sacrifice, so those pieces almost never get sold. The only thing I could recommend is that if you are willing to offer silly money for something, you might be able to pry a piece or two out of an existing collection.

Otherwise, it's a "keep your eyes open and cross your fingers" kinda deal.

Good luck!

Pat

"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:57 pm 

I just posted some artwork of Mr. Holloway's that was done over the last few years - a couple from Goodman Games, a few pieces done for Sovereign Press, and the Wheel of Time card game and is for sale. (Posted on the Munchkin Press site!).

Unfortunately, nothing from the D&D days - yet. However, he is in the process of tracking down some of the artwork he did for TSR (Dragon, modules, etc). Will keep you guys posted on that!  :)

Eulaliaaa!!!

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:29 am 

Actually I deal in original D&D art from a variety of artists; Mike Collins, David Roach, Kevin McCann. We have one of the pieces up on ebay right now if anyone is interested.

** expired eBay auction **

Hope this is of some help.

Mike

Blood & Sales!
Church of Arioch, Retail Division