Real Live auctions vs. Electronic Auctions
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:28 pm 

I am a big fan of ebay, and I have been for years.  But, for me, nothing beats the feel of being in a room full of other bidders, and really participating in an auction.   The GenCon Auction this year was amazing, with the collector's auction going until past 2AM, and thousands of dollars in collectibles being sold left and right.  Two points: first, which do you prefer - live or electronic?  Second, does anyone know of any really good live auctions?  The only ones I know of besides GenCon are the silent auction at RockCon in Rockford, IL and the bi-annual Games Plus auction in Mt. Prospect, IL.  The former was kinda neat, with some weird stuff.  The Games Plus auction, on the other hand, is a monster: a four-day auction, with 12-hours straight of RPG stuff on Saturday.  Josh

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:43 pm 

Hello,  I was surprised GenCon auction went so well. I understand they were actually considering dropping the auctions event?!? Usually the auction doesn't fetch as much money as Ebay items but it has caught up in a big way. I think good things are yet to come for GenCon auctions. I prefer ebay though. So much easier to sit home at the computer and pick up this or that whenever. I do not know of other decent live auctions.  Later. Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:13 am 

I hear Origins has a good auction.  I prefer electronic auctions. Much easier to just tpye in a bid and voila its there. No need to travel a few hundred of miles and find out the auction has crappy items. With ebay, you get thousands upon thousands of items just in front of you.   I think slowly more auctions will come to a close because of ebay. Everyone who has any type of role playing items sell them on ebay instead of going to a auction as its easier and convenient. However some of the more well known auctions like Gencon, etc will still be around.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:00 am 

For buying high price items I prefer a live auction.  I know exactly what I'm going to get and feel safe that I will receive the product. OK, so I am a little paranoid but when you start dropping over US$1,000 an electronic auction would have to be from a very reliable source in order for me to feel the same confidence.  For other items I enjoy the electronic auctions. The searching adds an element of fun. You never know what you are going to find up for bid under a particular keyword on a particular day.  My $0.02.  Cheers,  Curt

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:04 pm 

Cgould I do agree that at a live auction you can see the actual item and its condition instead of on ebay were a picture may be misleading. However at live auctions, prices tend to me much higher than electronic auctions like ebay. $1500 for a lost tamoachan at gencon vs 800+ for one on ebay, you choose which one is better.  Electronic auctions are the future of rpgs. Most selection and variety all in one area.