Potential Scam on eBay
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:33 pm 

Howdy All,

Got this message on an item from Ernie Gygax's collection. I am pretty sure that it is a scam, that being I am too afraid to click on the link. Clearly the link is made to look like an eBay link but I don't think it is.

An eBay search does not find the item number. Here is the message (DON'T CLICK on the link unless you are more confident than I that nothing bad will happen):

>ratpat2
>Positive feedback:  91.7%
>Member since:  Aug-28-02
>Location:  West Yorkshire,United Kingdom
>Registered on:  www.ebay.co.uk
>
>Item: D&D Gygax & Kuntz Dungeon Hobby Shop Dungeon!
>(130089293339)
>This message was sent while the listing was active.
>ratpat2 is a potential buyer.
>-------------------------------------------------------
>Hello,
>My name is [edited out by me].
>
>I just saw this item of yours and I remember seeing the same item two
>days ago, take a look:
>
>http://3392319564/ebay/?ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=  
** expired eBay auction **

So what do you all think? Scam? If so what is the purpose of the scam?

Has anyone else been subject to such an email?

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:42 pm 

The link is definitely not an ebay link but it goes to a form page where it wants you to sign in.   Hence getting your ebay login and password.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:44 pm 

If you look at the Ebay listing number  
** expired eBay auction **
it also leads to a page that is no longer available on Ebay.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:45 pm 

This right here: http://3392319564/ebay/?ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 0085847636 is not a legitimate link (obviously; just take a look at it). Nor is the item number legitimate. I'm guessing this is a very poorly executed scam. Part A is there (attempting to arouse interest), but Part B (trying to get personal information or credit card info. or whatever) is missing or coded incorrectly. There is something going on here, but it has been executed so poorly that it is basically harmless.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:46 pm 

You may want to take a look at the username that you editted out on Ebay and see if they are even a valid member - my guess is not.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:47 pm 

i get these kinda things all the time and just totally ignore them anyway.

every now and then i will report one to ebay - but as they are f**kin hopeless at doing anything, i tend not to bother.

Al

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:48 pm 

Mars wrote:The link is definitely not an ebay link but it goes to a form page where it wants you to sign in.   Hence getting your ebay login and password.

Ah, okay. I'm not even getting the form, probably because I'm using a fairly obscure browser (Safari). The scammers tend to like their code quick-and-dirty (i.e., Internet Explorer for Windows).

So, yes, a scam. But, oddly, that guy is an eBay user. Usually, the scammers prefer to remain totally anonymous, for obvious reasons. I'm guessing a complaint to eBay would have him completely banned in less than 24 hours. They do take phishing and scamming pretty seriously.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:50 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:i get these kinda things all the time and just totally ignore them anyway.

every now and then i will report one to ebay - but as they are f**kin hopeless at doing anything, i tend not to bother.

Al

I get about one a day....I just delete them.  Other ebay scams include saying "I just sent you $20 where's my item?" or "I want to buy this item" and usually they have a link that sends you to a site that will steal your identity.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:50 pm 

Mars wrote:You may want to take a look at the username that you editted out on Ebay and see if they are even a valid member - my guess is not.

ratpat2 (the name listed in the original post) is definitely a member:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... id=ratpat2

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:52 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:every now and then i will report one to ebay - but as they are f**kin hopeless at doing anything, i tend not to bother.

Strongly disagree here. I realize it's decidedly untrendy to defend eBay on these forums, but they do take phishing scams very seriously.

Badmike wrote:I get about one a day....I just delete them.

What's odd about this one, though, is that it appears to be from an active eBay member. Every other scam I've seen on eBay (and, yes, I get about one per day, too) has been from a totally anonymous, completely fake user.

Something doesn't add up here ... I mean, this guy is stupid enough to openly break a bunch of laws? I'm beginning to wonder if he is on the receiving end of a set-up or a lame joke of some sort.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:27 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:What's odd about this one, though, is that it appears to be from an active eBay member. Every other scam I've seen on eBay (and, yes, I get about one per day, too) has been from a totally anonymous, completely fake user.

Something doesn't add up here ... I mean, this guy is stupid enough to openly break a bunch of laws? I'm beginning to wonder if he is on the receiving end of a set-up or a lame joke of some sort.

They've stolen the member's ID password and thus his identity....which they can use to steal more passwords.  A tried and true strategy among ebay thieves.  It used to happen on AOL all the time (steal AOL member's id, use it to steal other ids, etc).  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com