The Collector's Trove: Ernie Gygax Collection Discussion
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:46 pm 

Only problem with the sale of such manuscripts as the Dungeon Hobby Shop Dungeon.....

Now a famous piece of RPG work is available for only one person to enjoy.  Auctions are quicker, but a pdf of the original might net the same amount of money for the game legend in question.  IF the pdfs were available at a reachable price, I know I'd be buying them.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:23 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Only problem with the sale of such manuscripts as the Dungeon Hobby Shop Dungeon.....

Now a famous piece of RPG work is available for only one person to enjoy.  Auctions are quicker, but a pdf of the original might net the same amount of money for the game legend in question.  IF the pdfs were available at a reachable price, I know I'd be buying them.

If Ernie and Terry want to publish the dungeon, I'm sure PPP would be happy to slot it into the publishing schedule :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:21 pm 

grodog wrote:
If Ernie and Terry want to publish the dungeon, I'm sure PPP would be happy to slot it into the publishing schedule :D

We can only hope. I can afford to spend the equivalent of a mortgage payment on a gaming item.  :?

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:14 pm 

clangador wrote:
We can only hope. I can afford to spend the equivalent of a mortgage payment on a gaming item.  :?

neat thought though, one of those things that even in pdf would take up a shelf ;)

Regards,

Stephen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:13 am 

I would want a pdf of the original, stained pages.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:03 am 

grodog wrote:

With most dungeons, that would be an ideal solution, but did you look at the map of the lowest level?  8O I don't think a huge thing like that could be reproduced to be profitable. Or maybe I am wrong (and then the second question is: did Ernie keep a photocopy? Or absent that, would TFM be kind enough to allow a copy to be made for publication?).

Regardless, one exciting possibility of unearthing treasures like this is an opportunity to publish them, especially for us non-collector types.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:11 am 

Melan wrote:With most dungeons, that would be an ideal solution, but did you look at the map of the lowest level?  8O I don't think a huge thing like that could be reproduced to be profitable. Or maybe I am wrong (and then the second question is: did Ernie keep a photocopy? Or absent that, would TFM be kind enough to allow a copy to be made for publication?).

The map for Bottle City is 17"x22" and printers can handle much larger sizes if necessary (the original Greyhawk folio maps were both 36"x48").

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:44 am 

FormCritic wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

I am surprised that this one did not sell for more.  I think that thefantasymuseum got a steal at $1200+.

Indeed.  Had I been around for it, the price would have been quite a bit higher.   :D

What an incredible item!

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:09 pm 

Melan wrote:and then the second question is: did Ernie keep a photocopy?

Paul (The Collector's Trove) generally makes an archive copy of the items he sells.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:54 pm 

Howdy Stephen,

Welcome back!

bombadil wrote:Indeed.  Had I been around for it, the price would have been quite a bit higher.   :D

What an incredible item!

Well now Stephen, you'll have to be saving your pennies for a certain item coming up at the end of April now won't you? 8)

I do agree with your observation, an incredible item.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:00 pm 

Howdy All,

dcas wrote:Paul (The Collector's Trove) generally makes an archive copy of the items he sells.

That is correct, unless the seller decides against it, such as the Steve Marsh auction and Tim Jiardini auction.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:56 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Well now Stephen, you'll have to be saving your pennies for a certain item coming up at the end of April now won't you? 8)

Calendar marked...proceeding with thumb-twiddling.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:06 am 

*Shrugs*

'Grabs chair, six-pack and commences to watch said thumb-twiddling.'

:lol:

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:01 pm 

Thanks Paul! It arrived safely and is being framed for display in my library this evening. I was delighted to win this so cheaply. It is a great addition to the collection. My wife is a little miffed that I paid that amount for some that is only 12 x 9 though. I tried to explain the historical and collector value of the piece and the signatures, but she does not get it.  Oh well, I love her anyway!!!

John

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0089277988

"Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion."

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:53 pm 

pleveich wrote:Thanks Paul! It arrived safely and is being framed for display in my library this evening. I was delighted to win this so cheaply. It is a great addition to the collection. My wife is a little miffed that I paid that amount for some that is only 12 x 9 though. I tried to explain the historical and collector value of the piece and the signatures, but she does not get it.  Oh well, I love her anyway!!!

John

I just always point out that, for example, I had to pay $81 for it because someone else was convinced it was worth $80.  In other words the item could be immediately resold for your money back, if not a small profit.

Note - this point is best made as you're going out the door, so that her question of "So why don't you sell it?" bounces harmlessly away.   :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:12 am 

pleveich wrote:Thanks Paul! It arrived safely and is being framed for display in my library this evening. I was delighted to win this so cheaply. It is a great addition to the collection. My wife is a little miffed that I paid that amount for some that is only 12 x 9 though. I tried to explain the historical and collector value of the piece and the signatures, but she does not get it.  Oh well, I love her anyway!!!

John

The item in question is easily worth $80 and is likely to get more valuable in the future.  Frame that baby!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:50 am 

darkseraphim wrote:
I just always point out that, for example, I had to pay $81 for it because someone else was convinced it was worth $80.  In other words the item could be immediately resold for your money back, if not a small profit.

Note - this point is best made as you're going out the door, so that her question of "So why don't you sell it?" bounces harmlessly away.   :lol:

Well, fortunately she has not asked me to resell it. I'm afraid that would invoke a disagreement of no small proportions. She is actually very good about not wanting me to resell stuff I have that would fetch a pretty penny like the error DMG which I could easily sell for a ton and a couple other one-of-a-kind D&D pieces I was lucky enough to acquire. All I have to do is get this stuff in the door and it is safe. She was even nice enough to grant me a small allowance to take to GenCon this year.

John

Last edited by pleveich on Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:53 am 

FormCritic wrote:
The item in question is easily worth $80 and is likely to get more valuable in the future.  Frame that baby!

It is already framed and hanging above my modest D&D collection in the library. I was quite clever with it by having her decide the best spot to hang it up to give her a sense of ownership in it. I think she is warming up to my collecting habits - at least a little.

John

PreviousNext