The Collector's Trove: Ernie Gygax Collection Discussion
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:37 am 

Howdy All,

I am opening up this thread for those who want to discuss Ernie's items for auction. I have updated the list of items after discovering a few hidden treasures in the collection! See here:

viewtopic.php?t=5375

Let me know if you have any questions or see any potential errors.

There are some really cool items with lots of history. Like with my other Collector's Trove Presents auctions the descriptions are a wealth of historical information. Heck, I'm having fun rereading them and I'm the one who typed 'em!

The Dungeon Hobby Shop Dungeon is incredible - that 6th level - its just huge! I think that it, the Erac's Cousin sheets, and the Terry Kuntz items are especially interesting.

Enjoy!

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:00 am 

Howdy All,

This from the Interesting Items thread:

gyg wrote:I won't be there at the end I know, but I think some of this stuff is just too cool - not so sure about the Gygax wall hangings though!?

Well when I got the collection I wasn't so sure about the wall hangings but after hearing their tale from Ernie I decided they were pretty darn cool.

Those were the items Gygax used to decorate his game room above THE sand table *before* Chainmail and D&D were born. The one has a Medieval theme and the other, a cartoon, has a European-fantasy theme to it. The clippings themselves come from the early 1960's, well before Gygax even conceived of D&D. But think about it, if he found them interesting enough to clip, keep, and hang up, then they were certainly part of his inspiration to combine Medieval and Fantasy themes. That my friends is the basis for Chainmail and Dungeons & Dragons!

And remember, Ernie too realized they were important or connected for *some* reason. So when they moved he saved them, just like his father had and he kept them for 30 years! Heck these clipping have been kept by father and son now for 47 years! In my book that makes these pretty significant items and ones that likely have a deeper connection to the original of D&D than any of us will ever know.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:03 am 

The Dungeon Hobby Shop Dungeon is possibly the coolest item I have seen on Ebay.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:56 pm 

FormCritic wrote:The Dungeon Hobby Shop Dungeon is possibly the coolest item I have seen on Ebay.

I wish PPP would look into publishing it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:57 pm 

FormCritic wrote:The Dungeon Hobby Shop Dungeon is possibly the coolest item I have seen on Ebay.

Naw. It has to be the Planes of Existance MS.

I played a similar hobby shop dungeon for about a year. Most shops in the UK had inhouse dungeons that they played every week for customers to watch and take part in. That's how half the White Dwarf dungeons were developed. The original Irillian playtest notes and characters would draw a lot of UK interest. It was a classic.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:23 pm 

kevin mayle wrote:I wish PPP would look into publishing it.

Not sure if that would be feasible or not---I'll have to discuss that with Paul the next time we chat :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:25 pm 

I think the the coolest are Castle El Raja Key and the TSR Logo Lizardman Grenadier minis from the RJK and DCS auctions :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:57 pm 

Mbassoc2003 wrote:... The original Irillian playtest notes and characters would draw a lot of UK interest. It was a classic.

Oh YES indeedy  8O
That would be cool.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:13 pm 

Mbassoc2003 wrote:Naw. It has to be the Planes of Existance MS.

I played a similar hobby shop dungeon for about a year. Most shops in the UK had inhouse dungeons that they played every week for customers to watch and take part in. That's how half the White Dwarf dungeons were developed. The original Irillian playtest notes and characters would draw a lot of UK interest. It was a classic.

Irillian has to get my vote for Best Fantasy Campaign Presented In the Guise of a Magazine Adventure.

Irillian set a very high mark for White Dwarf.  I think Dungeon magazine has only recently printed anything of comparable scope.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:22 pm 

Years ago - our then DM ran a campaign set around Irillian - it had a great dark ages atmosphere - very thirteenth warrior.  
I reckon the main competitor might be the early JG city settings - although i never played in any.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:59 pm 

Mbassoc2003 wrote: The original Irillian playtest notes and characters would draw a lot of UK interest. It was a classic.

Are you teasing us with this - does the m/s exist?

Irilian was, hands down, the best rpg scenario in any magazine ever, and pretty close to the best supplement of any description

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:25 am 

I first saw Irillian being played in a Games Workshop store in the early 80's, about two years before it was published in White Dwarf. I was visiting the UK, 'cos my parents were in the Army and based in Germany, and watching them play in store was what made me take my Moldvay Basic Set more serious. I ended up subscribing to WD and ordering my minis and AD&D hardbacks from GW. At the time they were one of the only companies that were willing to send things to Germany. There was no D&D in Germany at the time.

Once I moved to the UK in '84 (Dad left the Army), I started to buy more stuff, and in Edinburgh they played the Claymore campaigns in the local hobby shop here. But it was the in shop Irillian campaign that get me hooked to more than Basic D&D and homebrew stuff. And it was the first time I'd seen minis and floorplans too.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:59 am 

FormCritic wrote:Irillian has to get my vote for Best Fantasy Campaign Presented In the Guise of a Magazine Adventure.

Irillian set a very high mark for White Dwarf.  I think Dungeon magazine has only recently printed anything of comparable scope.

Okay, you guys got my attention & curiousity spurred 8O with this slightly divergent thread. I have a healthy collection of Dragon & Dungeon, as well as Polyhedron (all early days), but I never was a subscriber to WD. Actually, I probably could not have afforded another subscription at that time, so I am TOTALLY unfamiliar with Irillian, which all of you are painting a wonderful background of. Could someone please tell me a bit more about it and how I might be able to check out (read) some of it with out having to buy some old WD mags?

Thanks in Advance,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:56 am 

Irillian is a city-type adventure that includes an entire city map and large scale plot thread that involves the characters in multiple adventures and a climactic battle.  It is a mini-campaign rather than just a scenario...and the city map is fairly well developed...particularly for the gaming era in which it appeared (early 80's).

My copy comes from Best of White Dwarf Scenarios II. (I think...I'll check later today).  It can usually be had for a fairly reasonable price...when it appears on Ebay.

Mark   8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:24 pm 

Howdy All,

Not to get off topic... :wink:

Here is a story from Gary Gygax regarding the Dungeon Hobby Shop Dungeon:

"That said, a 10th level magic-user PC of mine, one Slidell of Fax was part of a large party exploring a lower level of Ernie's dungeons when the majority of the young players had their PCs cavorting loudly at the end of a long passage as they were smashing through the wall there. Slidell withdrew back up the corridor some 70 feet, entered an empty room there, and seriously contemplated sending a lightning bolt into the racous agglomeration to silence them. Alex's character retreated with mine, and he urged that Slidell let'em have it. As I considered that such an act would ruin their enjoyment of the game, I refrained...but avoided playing with that group thereafter  :x

Ernie has the patience of a saint :)"

Futures Bright,

Paul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:02 am 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy All,

Not to get off topic... :wink:

Here is a story from Gary Gygax regarding the Dungeon Hobby Shop Dungeon:

"That said, a 10th level magic-user PC of mine, one Slidell of Fax was part of a large party exploring a lower level of Ernie's dungeons when the majority of the young players had their PCs cavorting loudly at the end of a long passage as they were smashing through the wall there. Slidell withdrew back up the corridor some 70 feet, entered an empty room there, and seriously contemplated sending a lightning bolt into the racous agglomeration to silence them. Alex's character retreated with mine, and he urged that Slidell let'em have it. As I considered that such an act would ruin their enjoyment of the game, I refrained...but avoided playing with that group thereafter  :x

Ernie has the patience of a saint :)"

Futures Bright,

Paul

Great story ...

Regards,

Stephen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:50 am 

Looks like it's going to go for thousands.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:24 pm 

yep

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Next