Games for Kids - What is a Dad to do?
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:11 am 

silver_beetle wrote:Well, according to my 14-year-old, it's pretty geeky, and not in a good way.

It is too bad, though not surprising.  Back my college years (82-86), we definitely did not talk about the fact that we played for the simple reason that we wanted to have a social life.  And the two were mutually exclusive.

I distinctly remember mentioning it to my girlfriend (now wife) after we'd been dating for about 2 months or so.

And she looked at me kind of sideways and said, "I wouldn't have guessed that."

I allowed that it was just a game that we guys played, kinda like a weekly poker game thing ... which it was (and we also played poker), but even with the girl I eventually married, I mentioned the game only when necesary and with caution.

I'd hoped that the game had gained some social acceptance ... after all, Star Wars was very geeky when I was in high school/college, and it is accepted now, at least in elementary school ... but it sounds like D&D is still nerdy.

Oh, well ... such is life.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:12 pm 

Hey! nothing wrong with being geeky! I suppose i'm lucky in that my fiance is a fellow geek... all my friends are geeks and heck, we just got back from the student roleplay nationals where there were even more geeks. An entire weekend of D&D, chatting about rp and of course, drinking... what more could anyone want? heheheh, I even got absorbed in a conversation with one of the vendors about planescape.. horah!

I dunno.. I think roleplaying is a far better passtime than say, video games... at least its sociable and makes you use your imagination.. right? A shame it isn't more actively encouraged.

Rodo> what about not dying but running away? the Order of the Stick board game uses that mechanic and it's quite fun actually. I can see it being less traumatic for a kid at the very least.. though I dunno... I don't believe in mollycoddling children into getting their way. Bad things happen in life, deal... having a tantrum isn't going to change it. Maybe i'm just a harsh mean mother though lol

"Somehow, in hell I knew there would be mushrooms"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:05 pm 

Kieth...that avatar has me puzzled.  I tried to follow a link to it, but I couldn't.  Who is that guy?  Wait...don't tell me...I want to puzzle over it.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:50 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Kieth...that avatar has me puzzled.  I tried to follow a link to it, but I couldn't.  Who is that guy?  Wait...don't tell me...I want to puzzle over it.

Mark,

It is my 4th great grandfather, George Washington Hinshaw (1822-1907), who served as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Alabama Home Guard during 1865 at the close of the Civil War.

I mentioned this over on the Chit-Chat thread: everyone who knows me says that the similarity between him and me are striking.  FWIW, I have a normal length beard and no comb-over.  I also don't have crooked eyes (when I'm sober).

I'm a history buff, and I've been doing family genealogy for a couple of years now, so that's how I discovered this photo.  It was taken in 1890.

Keith

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:17 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:I'm a history buff, and I've been doing family genealogy for a couple of years now, so that's how I discovered this photo.  It was taken in 1890.

Cool, my father-in-law runs a geneology publishing and research service, in case you're interested in additional info/details sometime:  http://www.skcensus.com/

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:25 pm 

Hey Allan,

The bulk of my genealogy research has been on the Internet.  Free time is limited with elementary school age kids.  

I have visited some area cemeteries, which is a pretty neat experience.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do what I really need: library research.

Anyway, thanks for the link.  I may take advantage of it at some point.

I guess I've veered way off topic here ... sorry.

Keith

Previous