Games for Kids - What is a Dad to do?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:13 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:BB: mystic wood.

my kids think its a great game and we all play it, its cool and very easy to play.

Al

Yes, Very fun game.... :D

A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:20 pm 

IttyBitty wrote:
Yes, Very fun game.... :D

we dug it out and had two games of it last night :)

its a great game and really easy to play.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:40 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Every once and awhile we touch on this subject. What games to you play with your kids?

My wife and nine-year-old daughter play Steve Jackson Games' Munchkin and various CheapAss games.  The double-entendres in Munchkin are over the nine-year-old's head, and the wackiness of the CheapAss games are a change of pace.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:34 am 

Keith the Thief wrote:Similarly, what's a good age to introduce kids to D&D?

The age would obviously vary from one household to the next, but what would be a ballpark age?  I'm guessing maybe 10.

Keith

I think my son was 10 when I started him playing D&D. He's 14 now and a freshman in HS, and I keep getting him to start a D&D/RPG club in school, but he won't do it.  :lol:

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:14 am 

Curious: How is D&D seen by kids in high school these days?  Is it still considered geeky, or has it moved into the mainstream?  Is it even on their radar?

My own kids are in elementary school and I've never heard any of their friends or classmates even mention the game.  Their age group is obsessed with Star Wars and its various PC/console games (especially the Lego Star Wars games).

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:42 pm 

My son just played his first AD&D (2nd edition) game last night.  He isn't home from his friend's house yet, so I don't know how it went.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:31 pm 

my fingers are crossed --  here's hoping! :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:47 pm 

FormCritic wrote:My son just played his first AD&D (2nd edition) game last night.  He isn't home from his friend's house yet, so I don't know how it went.

Good luck - I so want my boys to get into RPGs, my oldest (nearly 11) ticks all of the boxes I would have thought made an ideal target for gaming but he just isn't interested.

(I'd even volunteer to DM just to throw the old 20 sider again - Anyone here game with their folks back in the day?)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:37 pm 

Hard for me to say.  I have a 4 year old (just turned four last Tuesday) and an 18 month old.  I still play D&D (3rd edition, Midnight from FFG), and at some point I would like to gently guide my boys into playing some form of D&D.  I began playing when I was 10 (August, 1980), so I figure that's a pretty good estimate; of course, I had just finished reading LotR when I saw the EO Basic Set at the bookstore, so maybe the conditions have to be "just right".  The guys see my collection in the library every day (I have some things "displayed") so when they ask, that's when we'll start, be it 8, 9 or 10.  If they don't want to play by age 11, then they get to play Barbie's with their mom :).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:53 am 

My son isn't getting out of this one. as soon as he's old enough to talk he's getting thrown into a session.. mwahahahaha.

D&D and kids, hmm... I think rp is still considered geeky.. but geek is the new cool honest! If I have my way my boy wont have modern computer games oh no... I can't stand the drivel they produce nowdays so he'll be raised like I was, on good old adventure games and the classic rpgs like torment and baldurs gate. Till I see a mainstream rpg that isn't japanese and an adventure game that isn't an action/shootemup hybrid, I can't be arsed with the games industry.

Lego star wars! whoooo! So so silly.

Cheapass games sound like a good start.. we have a fair few other games here to including the fantasy/fairy tale card game.. that's fun.

I want to teach my Kids to play Magic the gathering, one so I have someone to play and two so i can take them to the magic society and laugh as the hardened players are defeated by 6 yr olds.. YAY!

If my kids aren't geeky... then somethings gone terribly wrong. lol.

"Somehow, in hell I knew there would be mushrooms"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:46 am 

Do you play MTGO, Monk? I seem to recall seeing you there.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:16 am 

flying_purple_monkfish wrote:I want to teach my Kids to play Magic the gathering, one so I have someone to play and two so i can take them to the magic society and laugh as the hardened players are defeated by 6 yr olds.. YAY!

That's basically why I quit playing Magic.  I was soundly defeated by a 7-year-old in about 3 turns at my first tournament; this was about ten years ago, and this little snot had a Black Lotus, Moxes, etc., the whole nine yards.  I quit purchasing cards that day.  Why bother playing a game where card power (read, "how much Mommy and Daddy are willing to spend on the cards") determines who wins?  I just didn't have the budget to "get good".  I wish I hadn't given away my cards, though; they'd be worth several thousand dollars now <sigh>.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:14 am 

Keith the Thief wrote:Curious: How is D&D seen by kids in high school these days?  Is it still considered geeky, or has it moved into the mainstream?  Is it even on their radar?

My own kids are in elementary school and I've never heard any of their friends or classmates even mention the game.  Their age group is obsessed with Star Wars and its various PC/console games (especially the Lego Star Wars games).

Keith

Well, according to my 14-year-old, it's pretty geeky, and not in a good way. It's kinda sad, because he and his best friend really ejoyed playing it a couple of years ago and have said they want to play again, but we just haven't. We played 3e, and they liked the visual aspect of using minis and whatnot for combat, which is something I like about it as well. I think it appeals to the video game generation more than first edition did.

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:09 am 

Nooo! kids turning their backs on geekyness! they must be dragged back to the darkside!

Radovarl> oh dear oh dear.. a 7 yr old!?
Deadlord> hmmm? where?

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:08 pm 

My kids are 6 and 4 now, and my wife is from another whole different cultural realm entirely (Japan).  But, the kids definitely have some kind of game playing gene in them.

It's hard to find these days, but there was a game called The Sorceror's Cave which had geomorphic cave patterns that you could link together, and then you'd have various treasures and monsters in random assorted areas.  Each player would have a character with stats, but much more simplified than AD&D or other RPGs.  It was kind of a bridge between board games and RPGs.

I think it would be possible to make a simplified RPG for kids around 6-8 years old (and probably someone has done so).  Have the stats, characters, monsters and settings start out with the familiar (an elementary school, a mall, stats tied to concrete adjectives that kids could then use to draw/visualize their characters, etc).  Maybe even just using 1 die for events, stats and other rolls?

Maybe I can find time this summer to come out of the real world, get offline, and do more gaming with the kids...  but my 4 year old son still finds it hard to "lose" at any game-- I can't imagine what would happen if a character of his died?!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:24 pm 

tedward wrote:but my 4 year old son still finds it hard to "lose" at any game-- I can't imagine what would happen if a character of his died?!

I hear that.  My four year old son doesn't even like landing on the "bad squares" while playing Chutes & Ladders, LOL.  Actually, he has difficulty dealing with any situation where the outcome is uncertain (i.e., he refuses to play any kind of guessing game, etc.).  It must be a phase they all go through.  He's extraordinarily logical, though, so if deductive reasoning can be used to figure something out, he's all over it.

Honestly, I don't think having characters die would be a problem for younger RPG players.  They just simply don't die (or more accurately, aren't allowed to die).  When my friends and I started playing (we were ten), I believe the house rule was that if a character died, we played a "do over", from the beginning of that combat or whatever.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:11 am 

silver_beetle wrote:Well, according to my 14-year-old, it's pretty geeky, and not in a good way.

It is too bad, though not surprising.  Back my college years (82-86), we definitely did not talk about the fact that we played for the simple reason that we wanted to have a social life.  And the two were mutually exclusive.

I distinctly remember mentioning it to my girlfriend (now wife) after we'd been dating for about 2 months or so.

And she looked at me kind of sideways and said, "I wouldn't have guessed that."

I allowed that it was just a game that we guys played, kinda like a weekly poker game thing ... which it was (and we also played poker), but even with the girl I eventually married, I mentioned the game only when necesary and with caution.

I'd hoped that the game had gained some social acceptance ... after all, Star Wars was very geeky when I was in high school/college, and it is accepted now, at least in elementary school ... but it sounds like D&D is still nerdy.

Oh, well ... such is life.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:12 pm 

Hey! nothing wrong with being geeky! I suppose i'm lucky in that my fiance is a fellow geek... all my friends are geeks and heck, we just got back from the student roleplay nationals where there were even more geeks. An entire weekend of D&D, chatting about rp and of course, drinking... what more could anyone want? heheheh, I even got absorbed in a conversation with one of the vendors about planescape.. horah!

I dunno.. I think roleplaying is a far better passtime than say, video games... at least its sociable and makes you use your imagination.. right? A shame it isn't more actively encouraged.

Rodo> what about not dying but running away? the Order of the Stick board game uses that mechanic and it's quite fun actually. I can see it being less traumatic for a kid at the very least.. though I dunno... I don't believe in mollycoddling children into getting their way. Bad things happen in life, deal... having a tantrum isn't going to change it. Maybe i'm just a harsh mean mother though lol

PreviousNext