Core AD&D collection: suggestions?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:18 am 

For a start, you might visit WalMart, where gallon freezer bags can be had for just over $2 for 30.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:42 pm 

FormCritic wrote:For a start, you might visit WalMart, where gallon freezer bags can be had for just over $2 for 30.

Comic-book stores have magazine-sized bags for around 0.25 US apiece (less in quantity).  Those easily handle modules and can snugly fit some other the other supplements.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:48 pm 

Comic-book stores have magazine-sized bags for around 0.25 US apiece (less in quantity).  Those easily handle modules and can snugly fit some other the other supplements.

Those are slightly too small for dragon magazines.. are there other options?

Also, just in case it wasn't obvious, but comic book stores have magazine-sized backing boards. I think you can get 100 of both bags and boards for about $15 (though not like you need that many).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:59 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
Those are slightly too small for dragon magazines.. are there other options?

Also, just in case it wasn't obvious, but comic book stores have magazine-sized backing boards. I think you can get 100 of both bags and boards for about $15 (though not like you need that many).

This seller has what you want - he also has nice prices and a good shipping reduction.  These are extra thick magazine bags - note the size is also 8 7/8" - most bags are 8 3/4".

Formcritic (though you will always be mshipley to me  :)  ) - these bags are virtually the same price as Wal-Mart gallon bags.  200 bags would cost $14.00 (bags & shipping).  200 gallon bags are about $13.66 plus tax . . .

And, most importantly, you don't have to set foot in Wal-Mart, which will increase your general happiness and overall sense of well being.  8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:35 pm 

For the odd sizes and large lots there are always places like:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/

I find that what they have labeled as Life Magazine size bags are pretty handy.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:54 pm 

Well, you'll probably want to shoot me for adding an item to the list, but ...
:lol:

By far the best D&D item for the $, in my opinion, is the Dragon Magazine CD-ROM archive.  The interface sucks.  But having legal .pdfs of every Strategic Review and all the classic issues of Dragon is a huge boon to research.  It's also quite a nostalgia rush with the period reviews, articles, ads, art, pull-out games, etc.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:04 pm 

darkseraphim wrote:By far the best D&D item for the $, in my opinion, is the Dragon Magazine CD-ROM archive.

I didn't know they'd made such a collection ... I'd like a copy of that myself .... is it currently in print or something you have to hunt down on eBay?

Thanks,
Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:20 am 

Pick and ending date (year). If you can do that, you can limit your collection and still feel complete.

Some must-haves in the module sets are: I1 and I2, U-series, A-series, N1 should not be overlooked. T1 is a must have. Forget T1-4, or any of the compilation modules - they just do not have the same feel.

Basic and Expert set stuff is good, too. I would include all the B-series (even though a few a just plain bad -B8-, and the X-series - again a few bad apples there - X6 is useless - but at the very least X1-5.

I liked S2 for what its worth. S4 is also a classic in every way.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:24 am 

Keith the Thief wrote:
I didn't know they'd made such a collection ... I'd like a copy of that myself .... is it currently in print or something you have to hunt down on eBay?

Thanks,
Keith

Keith, it is an E-Bay hunt. I have a copy that I bought when it first came out many years ago. In fact I think I still have the box too.

Anyway, as was stated above by another member, I use it for research and looking through issues I do not have in my actual magazine collection.

The ones I have seen sell on E-Bay range from $50-$150, depending on how many bidders want one that day, or week. They are VERY common on E-Bay. Look for a week or so and you should find one or more for sale. A bit of patience should allow you to pick one up on E-Bay for around $75 (Or less).

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:06 pm 

Aneoth wrote:The ones I have seen sell on E-Bay range from $50-$150, depending on how many bidders want one that day, or week. They are VERY common on E-Bay. Look for a week or so and you should find one or more for sale. A bit of patience should allow you to pick one up on E-Bay for around $75 (Or less).

Aneoth,

I'll definitely keep an eye open for one.  I sure appreciate the advice.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:29 am 

Aneoth wrote:... for around $75 (Or less).

...especially if you are not fussed about the original cardboard box and just want the CDs.  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:30 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:This seller has what you want - he also has nice prices and a good shipping reduction.  These are extra thick magazine bags - note the size is also 8 7/8" - most bags are 8 3/4".

Paul---were you meaning to point to a specific seller here?  The "This" sounded like you were thinking of including a hyperlink??

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:01 pm 

a few words of advice....

once the bug bites under no circumstances visit afterglow ...

must have obscure supplements and game systems I never knew existed ..... :(

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Previous