Women players & Women DM's
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:01 pm 

It's been my experience that you find ALOT (maybe even more so than men) of women playing more gothic or horror based games.  I personally know of more female players that play Vampire the Masquerade/Requiem than male players.  I don't know why this hasn't translated into more female gamers in general, maybe the storyteller rule system is just seems "accessable" than the d&d systems have been, or perhaps it's the romanticism associated with vampires and such.  =/  

For me?  I'd play anything I can convince someone to run. =)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:33 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote: My wife knows I collect the stuff, and she politely listens when I describe what I'm collecting, but that's as far as it goes.

I laughed when I read this, as it perfectly describes my wife, too: polite enough to listen to talk of games and comics; honest enough to make it clear she thinks the whole subject is sort of absurd.  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:42 am 

ATOM wrote:Ha Ha.Maybe the fifty year old bepectacled librarian and then you can take
her to a rave party.

I dunno, I used to work with a librarian who looked like Gillian Anderson.

But I think there are more women in RPG's now also because there is more women-friendly fantasy and sci-fi literature now than there used to be.

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:49 pm 

Reindeergamez wrote:It's been my experience that you find ALOT (maybe even more so than men) of women playing more gothic or horror based games.  I personally know of more female players that play Vampire the Masquerade/Requiem than male players.  I don't know why this hasn't translated into more female gamers in general, maybe the storyteller rule system is just seems "accessable" than the d&d systems have been, or perhaps it's the romanticism associated with vampires and such.  =/  

No surprise that there were more Vampire the Masquerade female players than male players.  The game is about dressing up, romance, makeup, hair and socializing.  Characters spend most of their time trying to be sexy or act sexy or talk sexy or talk about other sexy people doing sexy things in sexy places with other sexy people in sexy clothes.  Even their coffins are sexy.

I don't know why, but it's true.  Beats me...what is sexy about a dead thing slinking around preying upon the living?  A dead woman in heavy makeup and a disco dress is still a dead woman.

I've never been able to identify with the vampires.  My sympathies are always with the people hunting them...coupled with mild curiosity about why it seems to be so hard to kill dead creatures who have so many built-in disadvantages...and whose distinctive style of dress is only only slightly less obvious than comic book supervillans.

Now...a werewolf...I could play a werewolf.  That is a point of view I understand.  But, it also illustrates the basic difference between what appeals to men (combat, freedom, physical power) and women (romance, relationships, dressup).

Of course...there are women who defy the stereotypes...men too.  It is the women who defy stereotypes who play D&D.

If I were a werewolf, what kind of car would I drive....?

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:11 pm 

FormCritic wrote:

Mark

An Eclipse?

SH60B's quote of the weeK!!

SimperingToad wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Okay, I don't know if I've ever typed this before, but WTF?!!

Follow The Acaeum on Twitter @TheAcaeum

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:46 pm 

FormCritic wrote:

Mark

Well it wouldn't be silver.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:45 pm 

a Prowler?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:39 pm 

I'm thinking it has to be an SUV...but that would be a bitch to park without opposable thumbs.... :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:57 pm 

Reindeergamez wrote:It's been my experience that you find ALOT (maybe even more so than men) of women playing more gothic or horror based games.  I personally know of more female players that play Vampire the Masquerade/Requiem than male players.  I don't know why this hasn't translated into more female gamers in general, maybe the storyteller rule system is just seems "accessable" than the d&d systems have been, or perhaps it's the romanticism associated with vampires and such.  =/  

You would've thought that something like the Ravenloft campaign would've drawn more female players in, too . . . or is Ravenloft considered "too violent"?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:16 pm 

Ravenloft probably did interest a number of female players, but there is nothing intrinsic to D&D horror modules...specifically Ravenloft...to interest women.  There is no element of fashion and the romance is movie vampire romance from the 1930's.  Nothing on the cover would attract a female buyer.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:11 am 

1>   Has the gap between the number of male and female players (and DM's for that matter) changed? I'm a member of a rp society and nope... we still have bugger all girls. More importantly.. we have bugger all women who join on their own volition rather than "to see what their man does all day". Ewww... those sorts of girls piss me off.

2>   Has anyone here been in a game run by a woman DM, and do you notice a style difference in the way she runs the game--or does that depend more on the module and less on the DM?  (I never have been in a game with a woman DM, by the way, and have wondered about it.)
I am a woman gm... (GASP) and yeah, i've been in a game run by a woman, Xcrawl for one. She's obsessive and everything comes back to bite us in the ass... heh. She's one of those GMs who runs for the long term. I think it depends on GM rather than gender to be honest.

3>   Is there a noticeable difference in style between male and female module writers (i.e. men might be more "hack-n-slash" while women go toward more "role-playing")?  Maybe the difference in later versions (3e/3.5e/d20) isn't as great as 1e/2e.
Dunno, Only played/read a few 2e non planescape adventures. Spelljammer we completely bypassed the hack and slash through cunning and devious use of mass invisibility.. mwahahaha. Wait wait... are you suggesting 3.5 has role playing involved? surely you jest!

We get a fairly diverse group at the society, but almost all the D&D players are indeed male. The girls tend more toward White Wolf or light hearted anime ness (eww.. just... ew)
Or, more annoyingly, they insist on playing a woman in a patriarcal society then bitch that they can't do anything. grrr...
COC seems to draw equal male to female players.

Though, in that argument, Spelljammer we had three girls and ONE guy. OK so two of us were playing male characters but still. Ahh that was a silly game.

Why are women so turned off by rp? It's odd.. i've noticed that 90% of online forum based rpers are female, yet table top remains male dominated. Anyone got any theories?

Hey, true female gamers may be rare, but we do exist! I remember joining the society 4 years ago and having the guys going "oooo ooo girl girl! you have to join! do it do it now!" lol. It was so funny. I think I was the only female they recruited that actually showed up. And why? because I actually wanted to get into this table top malarky, i'd already had years of online stuff so I figured why not try some D&D.

I think there should be a new law passed, Geeks can't marry non Geeks. It just leads to hardship later on as she insists you sell your books and stop playing childish games. .Bah! stupid non geeky women! Geeky men are the greatest! (mmm geeks... )

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:21 am 

Ahh wargaming. I remember being forced to playtest some new clicks game by my friend Nick who used to work for Travelling man. He hated wargaming, I had no idea what the heck I was doing and the entire thing decended into sillyness as the pansy elves he was playing were pummled to death by my orcs and placed unceremoniously in beer mountain (an upside down slightly sticky pint glass). But no, I can honestly say wargaming never appealed.. odd given I love RTS games on the pc. Mmmm Empire Earth... I love nuking dark age settlements.. mwahahaha.

Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention (I'm a ditz.. sorry. blame the lack of sleep and newborn making wierd noises) I always play male characters. A lot of guys hate me for this telling me it's confusing and makes their brains hurt but I never could get into the female mindset. To me, playing a male is more natural than a female... I feel like i'm playing crossgender if i'm not.. if that makes any sense. Besides, in gritty medieval settings women are just crap and I do love my gritty settings. Political correctness is bollocks, hell, i've been called a chauvanistic pig by a woman online before.. how awesome is that? I laughed and I laughed and I laughed.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:40 am 

All well and good...more worrying are the Dudes who want to play female
characters all the time.(slightly creepy).But everyone to their own i guess?
Its probably from playing D&D Online and observing all the guys who are
playing female characters who hang out in the taverns dancing provacatively and asking you for gold coins?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:08 am 

flying_purple_monkfish wrote:Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention (I'm a ditz.. sorry. blame the lack of sleep and newborn making wierd noises) I always play male characters. A lot of guys hate me for this telling me it's confusing and makes their brains hurt but I never could get into the female mindset. To me, playing a male is more natural than a female... I feel like i'm playing crossgender if i'm not.. if that makes any sense. Besides, in gritty medieval settings women are just crap and I do love my gritty settings. Political correctness is bollocks, hell, i've been called a chauvanistic pig by a woman online before.. how awesome is that? I laughed and I laughed and I laughed.

I had always assumed that you were a male.   8O

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:21 am 

flying_purple_monkfish wrote:I think there should be a new law passed, Geeks can't marry non Geeks. It just leads to hardship later on as she insists you sell your books and stop playing childish games. .Bah! stupid non geeky women! Geeky men are the greatest! (mmm geeks... )

My wife is a norm and I am a geek and we work together very well.  Maybe that is because I am just a quasi-geek and not a full blown geek.  We have been together six years (married almost five months) and she hasn't told me to get rid of anything yet however she did give me a hard time the other day for overspending on Ebay just a tad (thanks a lot Blackmoor.  :wink: ).

In my opinion (based on experience) you have to be very careful when bringing two geeks together for anything other than friendship.  If they are both passionate about the same thing it can lead to financial and emotional disaster.  I became friends with a woman years ago that was a comic book collector.  Things developed over a couple of years and we started dating.  It was great for awhile but as time went on we realized that we had little else in common but our love for comic books.  She eventually branched out into other things including anime.  When I found myself watching Sailor Moon just to spend time with her I knew the relationship was over.  It was a very ugly separation.  She accused me of stealing her Gambit #1 (I fricking hate Gambit) and it took 6 months for me to get my Playstation back.  I think she was just pissed that she could never beat me at Marvel vs. Capcom.

Anyway, my wife doesnt know anything about comics but loves comic book movies.  She loved Batman Begins and has watched Superman Returns several more times than I have.  I think Brandon Routh has something to do with that though.  And she can't wait for the new Spider-Man flick coming out this summer.  The great thing is, we always have things to talk about.  She asks me questions all the time about things like "How many times has Aunt May died?", "Can Mr. Fantastic stretch every part of his body?", and "Why do you play computer games such as Half-Life and Fear in the dark, with your headphones on, when you know they are just going to scare the crap out of you?".  And I am always consulting her on things she knows like how to commit insurance fraud and get away with it or investigative forensics.  IMHO it just seems that two people with more differences than similarities personality-wise can complement each other better and thus their chances of staying together are better as well.  Besides, the only women that I know that are into RPG's only play Vampire: The Masquerade.  LARPing is just a wee bit too weird for me.  :P

It would be a frightening world if geeks only married geeks.  Eventually the race wars that are so prevalent today would be replaced by...intelligence wars.  Smart, imaginative people vs. the dumbasses of the world.  The problem with a war like that is that the dumbasses have most of the weapons.  Most of us can use a computer, know what the Pythagorean theorem is, and know what the difference is between a meteor and an asteroid.  But if you don't know how to load and fire an automatic rifle or dig and camoflage a pit trap you aren't going to last very long.  Co-mingling of the bloodlines is a necessary evil if geeks are to survive.

In all seriousness, I wasnt being completely serious.  My wife has never asked me about the stretching ability of Mr. Fantastic.

Political correctness is bollocks, hell, i've been called a chauvanistic pig by a woman online before

I don't know you and I like you already.  :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:08 pm 

I didn't realize there were levels of geekness, lol. I didn't really start out as one when we got married almost 10 years ago, but as time goes on the worse I get and she has absolutely nothing to do with my hobbies. Nor does she really understand them but rarely really bothers me about them. Between action figures/toys and D&D, she laughed her ass off when we saw that movie 40 Year Old Virgin when you get to see the inside of his house. Looks like my office, lol. Although, she did get me a monster manual for Christmas this year.  I was impressed.

SH60B's quote of the weeK!!

SimperingToad wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Okay, I don't know if I've ever typed this before, but WTF?!!

Follow The Acaeum on Twitter @TheAcaeum

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:43 pm 

Ahahahah. My finance is a rp geek... though we tend toward slightly different genres. He prefers scifi and Mechs, I like D&D... though we both find common ground in WOD.
I collect action figures and watch cartoons, he watches sci fi and thinks my "toys" are cute.. lol. I read wierd comics, mostly indie stuff, slg and Neil Gaiman, he reads green arrow and green lantern etc etc.
We're both major geeks but in different ways, it works very well actually.

I'm the video game geek and he's the sci fi one... quote something from babylon 5 he'll get it, i'll just go "buh?", but quote an adventure game and he's the one lost.
I giggled like a crazed fangirl the whole way through Silent hill and he sat there going "ooookay.... ".

John> you did? awww.. you wouldn't be the first. Best thing ever though, in a chatroom I used to rp in, a couple of people once voiced their surprise at learning I played a couple of characters saying "hey we knew you were so and so and so and so.. but I thought him and him were two different typists!"
hahahahaha. I was most flattered.

Kingofpain> YAY! another minion... I mean.. fan.. <_< >_>

Atom> One of my old flatmates had the best explaination for this i've ever heard. He plays a female Elvan in FF11 and I asked him why. "well" he said "if you're gonna be staring at the backside of a pixilated character all day, it may as well be an attractive one"
couldn't fault him on that one.. lol.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:34 pm 

flying_purple_monkfish wrote:I read Neil Gaiman, he reads green arrow and green lantern etc etc.

Kingofpain> YAY! another minion... I mean.. fan.. <_< >_>

Well your fiance is ok in my book.  I haven't missed an issue of Green Lantern in 15 years.  Almost as long as my runs on Amazing Spider-Man and Uncanny X-Men.

Speaking of Neil Gaiman:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/stardus ... fBoxdfVXcA

I'm not sure what to think yet.  Hopefully Hollywood doesn't butcher it but I bet they will.

PreviousNext