TSR DND MODS -FROM TSR OFFICES IN LAKE GENEVA WI FAC. SEALED
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:53 am 

Mike, you raise some good points: I think there is sort of an unspoken "trial period" here for new users, and, overall, that might not be a good thing. OTOH, it doesn't seem that much worse than a few other forums we are all familiar with (particularly Dragonsfoot, where inconsistent moderator behavior is equalled only by the volume of off-topic nonsense).

In this particular case, though, I'd argue that we're looking at a classic spam-and-run attack. Unless I greatly miss my guess, we won't be hearing from Spidey again. And I just have zero sympathy for those that spam the internet with desperate pleas to bid on their stuff — anyone who does that, knowing they have no intention of actually contributing anything to a site, deserves whatever sort of response they receive.

But, hey, maybe I'm wrong ... maybe Spidey will be up near Al's post-count in the next six months.  :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:24 am 

deimos3428 wrote:Y'know what's waaay more fun than arguing about spammers and ripping on JG?  Looking up your own early posts, and that of others. :D

Thanks guys.

and hey you deimos - you suck at online arena games too - so go find something else to do - you you you canadian :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:00 am 

Badmike wrote:
 For the most part if you survive the initial beating with a bag full of doorknobs, you can become grudgingly accepted into the cult of Acaeum...

Mike B.

Giving away a little too much of the Inner Circle Secrets, aren't you Mike?  Any more revelations of the cult's arcana and I suspect the Master of Discipline will have some paritcularly nasty atonment trials.

Is that a bag of Caltrops I hear jostling around?  Better be careful!

:twisted:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:06 am 

8O   Speaking of the Inner Circle!  I'm in Imminent danger of being ousted from the Ring of Twelve Masters by Xaxaxe!

The "Slayer of Happiness" is merciless when dealing with those who fail to maintain their power.

Must . . . post . . . more . . .

:D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:46 am 

Afrika Corps wrote:I just wanted to give my 2 cents worth on this subject: there does seem to be a number of people who apparently have some mediocre D&D items they are trying to get rid of but know nothing about it, and have done a google search and apparently come across this site and get all excited about it and post their auctions here with maybe some impelishment hoping to peak the interest of the few diehard collectors. I believe this because I have looked at the classified section at all the posts and mostly you never hear from these people again, they never particapate in any of the discussions or forums but only to use this site as an intermediatory Pimp to peddle and advertise their crap. Too bad they never stick around to actually read and maybe learn something so yes I can understand some of your members anger and disgust because I have felt it too.

I don't think people of this ilk have any interest in our little D&D forum.  As mentioned, they are merely using it to server their own interests and to peddle their wares, which they will sell in a few days and disappear into the ether forever.  Not much that we can do other than rant about them, since this is a public forum.

By the by, it does give us a fresh topic to discuss :)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:27 am 

Badmike wrote:I cringe sometimes when I see buyers of mine I have directed to this forum post for the first time...hoping their first experience isn't going to be a smackdown.  
 For the most part if you survive the initial beating with a bag full of doorknobs, you can become grudgingly accepted into the cult of Acaeum...

Mike B.

You got me thinking Mike and you know how scary that can be.  :wink:   I wonder what is the average time most people lurk on a forum before actually posting?  And how much does that lurk period contribute to a successful integration with the other members of the forum?  Pretty sure I lurked here for about six months before actually posting anything.  At first I wasnt interested in becoming a member simply because of my experiences elsewhere.  I also didnt think that I had anything of relevance to add to any particular discussions (still don't for the most part but I got over it  :D ).  The first time I posted was in the Introduction thread and I got heckled almost immediately (Deadlord) but it was a good natured crack (I think  :wink: ) and I just chalked it up to a first-post initiation of sorts.  If I hadnt lurked for that period of time and gotten to know the particular styles of interaction and humor of the different people here it might have been a completely different outcome.

I don't know how most people feel but when complete strangers post without introducing themselves first it isnt too much different than a complete stranger walking up to you in a store or on the street and then starts talking to you without introducing themselves first.  There are unwritten rules to the way you present yourself in public and by not following those rules you run the risk of offending someone.  It's not a whole lot different in cyberspace.  Just my two cents anyway.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:28 am 

As I mentioned when I recently posted with my first full interaction with the group, I have lurked for a long time but posted rarely.  Having read posts for years, I do think there is an unnecessary abrasive overtone to some of the postings that make it intimidating to interact here.  There also appears to be a gang mentality approach toward a few posters whereby their posts are routinely pummeled despite there being some value (to me at least) in them.  Having said that, if you can make your way past a zealous vocal minority, inside the 'inner sanctum' the nonvocal majority have been extremely cordial, helpful and encouraging.  Unfortunately people may see the 'front line' as the 'bottom line'.

With the recent purchase of these old war games, I recently joined a couple war game collecting groups and have been reading old posts one after the other in order to better understand that hobby from the collecting standpoint.  I can report to you that neither of these extremely active boards exhibit this initiation process.  To the contrary the moderators and users alike have welcomed my rediculous and silly questions (to them), allowing me to assume a certain level of confidence when I post.  Flame the comparison if you wish, but the difference is real.

I will stick my neck out further and say that the OP here may be all that you claim him to be (a troll, a false advertiser, a person for which English is both his first and second language), but so far no one knows for sure.  I would argue that the end does not justify the means.

Andy

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am 

I joined Nov 8, 2002, didn't really check the forums that often if at all really :oops: , mostly just checked the site and its updates. First post was May 11, 2005:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5193709292

2002 Dungeons & Dragons 3-Volume Set (4th minus box and first 2 books, UW is 5th print)
2003 Greyhawk (3rd printing)
2004 Blackmoor (2nd printing)
2005 Eldritch Wizardry (1st printing)
2006 Gods, Demi-gods & Heroes (1st printing)

:o

Been watching this site for a long time, and only now just post, and a good find at that too. Sorry :oops:  :wink:  

Was greeted very well, and then of course the rest is history. Now you can't get me to leave, Bwahahaha.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:43 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
and hey you deimos - you suck at online arena games too - so go find something else to do - you you you canadian :D

Al

Good idea.  I'm off to the pub!  Now pipe down, you post count whore. :D

(Regarding the advanced arena rules, I'll be posting them on DF soon.  Included are several new beasts and weapons for wannabes to try out. :P )

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:48 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
I don't know how most people feel but when complete strangers post without introducing themselves first it isnt too much different than a complete stranger walking up to you in a store or on the street and then starts talking to you without introducing themselves first.  There are unwritten rules to the way you present yourself in public and by not following those rules you run the risk of offending someone.  It's not a whole lot different in cyberspace.  Just my two cents anyway.

For me, I actually lurked on the forums for about a month or so before I actually signed up and then waited about another month before I started posting.  When I did first start posting, I pretty much just fit into the group and had no issues. :)

As far as new posters go, personally I don't have a problem with new people who start posting without formally intorducing themselves, although based on the many past experiences, I am more cautious when dealing with those who don't.  Those of the folks who have been here for a long enough time know exactly what I am talking about and I think that for a lot of newer posters that don't understand that this forum has a long history with many of the "shadiest" dealers, coming here and trying to work out their adgenda's, whatever adgenda that may be.  :roll:

The most important thing for me when dealing with a new poster really depends on what they post when you start posting.  If you come here looking for help in anything(yes there was actually someone that came at one point that joined up looking for information about Bob the Builder stuff that was helped without anyone even blinking an eye), I have yet to see anyone attacked, flamed, turned away or flat out ignored.  Now, if you join up and spam the forum, especially in the General Forum like this guy did, are already a well known "shady dealer" (i.e Creep1962, jonb, Titan, etc.), you start posting your clear adgenda for joining the forum,  or you first start posting telling the people here that they are wrong, clueless, stupid, don't know what we are talking about, etc., etc. , even though many of the members have been doing this stuff for 10+ years(and in many cases 20+ years), then you are going to get smacked down mercilessly until you leave and never return and being 100% honest why would anyone expected it to be any other way.  This group is very accepting to those looking for help and to those who come here to be part of the community and like just about anything else in life if you come here with alterior motives you are going to be castigated and rightfully so.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:03 pm 

Yah. What he said.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:32 pm 

One post in the wrong place and it turns into a 4 page free for all....shouldn't this now be the OT page?

How about those (insert fav sports team for the season here)

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:32 pm 

Damn trolls....hic  :!:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:49 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:8O   Speaking of the Inner Circle!  I'm in Imminent danger of being ousted from the Ring of Twelve Masters by Xaxaxe!

I knew it! I knew the 12 of you were up to something in your little clubhouse there.  :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:33 pm 

Boreas wrote:As I mentioned when I recently posted with my first full interaction with the group, I have lurked for a long time but posted rarely.  Having read posts for years, I do think there is an unnecessary abrasive overtone to some of the postings that make it intimidating to interact here.  There also appears to be a gang mentality approach toward a few posters whereby their posts are routinely pummeled despite there being some value (to me at least) in them.  Having said that, if you can make your way past a zealous vocal minority, inside the 'inner sanctum' the nonvocal majority have been extremely cordial, helpful and encouraging.  Unfortunately people may see the 'front line' as the 'bottom line'.

With the recent purchase of these old war games, I recently joined a couple war game collecting groups and have been reading old posts one after the other in order to better understand that hobby from the collecting standpoint.  I can report to you that neither of these extremely active boards exhibit this initiation process.  To the contrary the moderators and users alike have welcomed my rediculous and silly questions (to them), allowing me to assume a certain level of confidence when I post.  Flame the comparison if you wish, but the difference is real.

I will stick my neck out further and say that the OP here may be all that you claim him to be (a troll, a false advertiser, a person for which English is both his first and second language), but so far no one knows for sure.  I would argue that the end does not justify the means.

Andy

I think you raise good points, Boreas.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:11 pm 

The seller has e-mailed me 5 times in response to my single question about proving the authenticity. The latest bullshit:

I have these display samples in my possession because I managed this company for several years and personally knew/know the management of TSR.

I am currenty looking for any TSR Invoice or letterhed I may have in my possession to send along also
, I am in the process of moving and this the reason I am selling this stuff. I will see if I can locate an actual invoice, right now I have everything boxed.  

Should be easy enough for one of you sleuths to prove/disprove.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:16 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:The seller has e-mailed me 5 times in response to my single question about proving the authenticity. The latest bullshit:

I have these display samples in my possession because I managed this company for several years and personally knew/know the management of TSR.

I am currenty looking for any TSR Invoice or letterhed I may have in my possession to send along also
, I am in the process of moving and this the reason I am selling this stuff. I will see if I can locate an actual invoice, right now I have everything boxed.  

Should be easy enough for one of you sleuths to prove/disprove.

OK.  Five responses.  Any reasons in them to think he isn't telling the truth?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:38 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
OK.  Five responses.  Any reasons in them to think he isn't telling the truth?

Mark   8)

Do you mean aside from the fact that his is "claiming" to be the VP of a company and has some significant grammatical and spelling issues?  I mean everyone makes typos and spelling mistakes, but the amount that are present in this guys listing/posting are more than one would expect from someone who is a VP of a company. Despite that fact though, even if this guy is 100% honest, I am still reaching for any reason why anyone would find these items more interesting that something that was purchased in a store. To be honest, I would find items that were actually sold in the old TSR Dungeon hobby shop,with a sales reciept to be far more interesting than comp items given out and I wouldn't even find that to be all that much more interesting. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

PreviousNext