TSR DND MODS -FROM TSR OFFICES IN LAKE GENEVA WI FAC. SEALED
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am 

FormCritic wrote:1)  It would be a simple matter to ask the seller for some sort of provenance.  For instance, how did he come into possession of these items?  If he has no provenance then he is not for real.  Simple as that.

2)  A newcomer can be expected to make mistakes.  He could be gently re-directed to the classified section.  If his lot is legitimate then it certainly would bear discussion on the main page.

3)  Is it really our plan to tear apart every new person, even if they do break some unwritten rules, say something annoying or originally come here with some sort of agenda?

Mark, lets be honest, aside from the fact this guy likely to be full of crap, the fact that of the matter is that his first and only post in this forum is going to be this spam thread.

Aside from that, it really doesn't take much effort to actually see that there is a very clearly advertised forum for Classifieds, I mean its one of the first things that pops up when you click on the 'forums" link.  I'd even understand a little more if this forum was huge and had so many different forums that you had to scroll down to see then all and thus there might be chance that this moron looked and misseed it.  :roll:   Lets face it, this guy was here for one purpose and one purpose only and that is to come here and post his spam. He had no cares about creating "discussion" about it or in anyway doing something other than letting the world know about that he was selling something and he thought he should tell us to bid on it, period and point blank.  This thread is no different than any of the other spam that floods people emails continously on a daily basis.

On top of that, as I noted above even if this material was actually from being shelved in the TSR offices, what about that makes it anymore interesting than material that was created, boxed up, and shipped out to book stores around the country.  I don't get it where the added discussion would come from.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:56 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
might be worth a sticky or something to at least give someone new a guideline?

Al

Why waste the time doing it, its not like the Classifieds are hard to find. If he didn't bother to care enough to read down all 4 lines to see the "Classifieds Forum" that is both in bold and clearly marked, I think we are kidding ourselves to think that anyone like this is going to bother to  read any sticky threads detailing guidelines for posting.  

Seriously, I am all for Foul's policy for this being an unmoderated forum, but to me these types of threads should be deleted ASAP as they are no less spam threads than the ones that created by the bots that are posting sex & gambling links.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:58 am 

I think that the TSR offices angle makes the lot very interesting.  I suspect that there are others who would agree.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:03 am 

FormCritic wrote:I think that the TSR offices angle makes the lot very interesting.  I suspect that there are others who would agree.

Well I disagree, but if that type of "claim" makes this more interesting to someone else, more power to them. :?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:07 am 

FormCritic wrote:3)  Is it really our plan to tear apart every new person, even if they do break some unwritten rules, say something annoying or originally come here with some sort of agenda?

To address this point specifically, why wouldn't we?  :?  Don't get me wrong,  I understand that people make mistakes sometimes and should be afforded some leeway when they are new, but internet trolls can and will destroy whole forums if you let them.  This post isn't just some new guy looking to fit in and made a mistake in posting something outrageous or weird or off target, this guy posted what he wanted(his spamming ad) and will now leave this forum forever, never to be seen or heard from again and nor will he care one ounce.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:24 am 

Using myself as an example....

I was originally drawn here by a Google search for Dark Tower.

I showed up on the JG list.  I saw pictures of Killjoy's JG stash and I thought, "Man, these guys have what I need."

I jumped on Killjoy, asking for a whole list of items, as if he were an internet store owner (which he wasn't at the time).

I posted a topic with a list of JG items I wanted on the main JG page. (I later asked FoulFoot to delete the topic when I realized how it made me look.)

Then I introduced myself.

I wasn't intentionally being a boor.  People treated me with great courtesy.  I'm still here.  

It is debatable whether or not I make a useful contribution to the forums, but I'm still here because people were kind to me.  Imagine how long I would have stayed around if my first experience had been Acaeum members calling me an ass hat for posting in the wrong place.

I'm not saying that the guy who started this strand is legitimate or a con man.  He might be either one.  I'm saying that he might be a valued member of the forum if he is real, and if he doen't get torn limb from limb the first time he does something annoying.

Simply asking him a civil question or two doesn't seem like a bad plan.

Mark  8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:35 am 

Mark, from what I can find(unless Foul actually deleted it and so I can't find it), here is your first post here:

FormCritic wrote:Hello:

I am a first-timer here.  (Interesting to see all of the names I recognize from Ebay...)

My main interest is collecting copies of the old stuff.  Dates and original editions concern me less than just getting ahold of one each of the material.

Is there a seller and a marketplace outside of Ebay?  Do some of you trade and sell outside of Ebay?

8O

I see both a dramatic and diametric difference in your first post and the one that was posted creating this thread here.  Aside from the fact, you posted in the forum that was your main interest(not the one that was first on the list  :roll: ), you also came here clearly looking for help and presented yourself in a good way.  That is why that you got the positive response that you got and rightfully so. :)  

Even if your post was presented in the form of I am selling stuff(instead of looking to buy stuff) and looking for help/advice/suggestions, you would have been received much better than the clown who created this thread, who basically said "I have a bunch of stuff to sell bid as much as humanly possible, because its cool, here is the link".

I mean not everyone who posts here has to want to be a pillar of the community, but the least they could do is to even bother to take the time to educate themselves somewhat to the protocols of the forum and also take the whole 3 seconds that it would take to find the proper forum to post your for auction sale ads.

Last edited by bclarkie on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:42 am 

bclarkie wrote:Mark, from what I can find ... here is your first post here:

Wow, that's like a historical find: MShipley88's first post, long before he joined ... THE IMMORTALS!** :)

Details are right here

+++++

** Levity! Humor! Good-natured ribbing!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:51 am 

Look at my first two posts here, they are not exactly earth shattering  :oops: .

Post 1 from the "Uber Geeks" thread:

bclarkie wrote:odin, I think you are a bit confused....Kim mohan is a man..........

Post 2 from the "Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors" thread:

bclarkie wrote:Hey All, my name is Brian. I have been lurking around here for awhile and I figured I should finally pop in and introduced myself. I used to play along time ago, but now I just collect. :D

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:05 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Imagine how long I would have stayed around if my first experience had been Acaeum members calling me an ass hat for posting in the wrong place.

I understand where you are coming from Mark but from my experiences on other internet forums, The Acaeum members are pretty tame.

Go to a Star Wars or other similar sci-fi forum and if you post something that is just a smidgen off topic or you dont know everything about the subject at hand, most of the members will flame the hell out of you to the point you will never want to return.  Sports forums for the most part can be just as bad.  You may know tons about a particular team but if you post an opinion that is different from the majority you will most likely get a comment such as "Screw you noob, you dont know what you are talking about!".  Most of the members here may have disagreements but you will normally see honest, well thought out opinions instead of the persistent flaming that permeates a lot of other forums.

Maybe it is because the average age of the members here are over 30....I dont know for sure but most people here are pretty cool until someone tries to screw someone else over which I for one think is true about the poster in question.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:09 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Why waste the time doing it, its not like the Classifieds are hard to find. If he didn't bother to care enough to read down all 4 lines to see the "Classifieds Forum" that is both in bold and clearly marked, I think we are kidding ourselves to think that anyone like this is going to bother to  read any sticky threads detailing guidelines for posting.  

Seriously, I am all for Foul's policy for this being an unmoderated forum, but to me these types of threads should be deleted ASAP as they are no less spam threads than the ones that created by the bots that are posting sex & gambling links.

well the point being, that if there WAS a sticky put in, then the whole argument of "ppl not knowing" is out the window and there literally is no excuse then.....

ah well i am tired so am going home.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:11 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I showed up on the JG list.  I saw pictures of Killjoy's JG stash and I thought, "Man, these guys have what I need."

I jumped on Killjoy, asking for a whole list of items, as if he were an internet store owner (which he wasn't at the time).
Mark  8)

t'was a nice lil bit of biz that mark, mucho appreciated too :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:58 pm 

I understand where you are coming from Mark but from my experiences on other internet forums, The Acaeum members are pretty tame.

Go to a Star Wars or other similar sci-fi forum and if you post something that is just a smidgen off topic or you dont know everything about the subject at hand, most of the members will flame the hell out of you to the point you will never want to return.

So because other forums are paranoid, elitist, and impatient means that that sort of temperament is A-okay? Talk about lowering the bar.

I don't think the presumption around here is that first-time posters are "asshats" until proven otherwise. So what if he posted in the wrong thread? It's not like any of us are perfect when it comes to keeping these forums on topic. The Vampire Queen auction wasn't exactly posted in the right forum either; members kill interesting threads over spelling mistakes; we dedicate entire threads to how stupid people are (which is incredibly helpful in building a collection); or simply to make fun of them (again, classy and insightful).

Maybe it is because the average age of the members here are over 30....I dont know for sure but most people here are pretty cool until someone tries to screw someone else over which I for one think is true about the poster in question

Frankly, whether the modules are from TSR offices are not is pretty irrelevant. I don't see how I'm going to be screwed over by him posting his interesting (if yet proven) back story. Either I believe it or I don't. The actual physical state of the modules won't change...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:21 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:The Vampire Queen auction wasn't exactly posted in the right forum either;  

It wasn't? Following up a thread looking for information about a particular item with a link to the final listing isn't exactly uncommon, nor is it it against this forums protcol.  Trying to compare that thread and this one is disingenous at best.

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:members kill interesting threads over spelling mistakes; we dedicate entire threads to how stupid people are (which is incredibly helpful in building a collection); or simply to make fun of them (again, classy and insightful).

Of course, if you don't like the way things go around here, which is pretty evident already, you can always feel free to not let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.   Hell even Cougar tried to start up his own Collecting forum because he didn't feel welcome here, so it can't be that difficult to do.  Just think, being the Site Admin of such a forum will allow you to post all of the same economic theories that you posted here and they will pretty much go unchallenged.

I can't for the life of me figure out how someone who seems to think that this place's attitude sucks so bad isists on continuing to hang around here. Its like those people who used to come into the restaraunt that I worked at about 10 years ago who used to complain all the time and say, "There is always a problem when I come here!!", yet they continued to keep coming there.  For me, if everytime I went to a place and I had a  problem, I wouldn't go there anymore, I'd find somplace else.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:26 pm 

Honestly, my intention has not been to start a flame war about flame wars...and I would be disappointed if we had one here.   :?

Most of us are smart enough to flame each other endlessly.  No point in it.

Mark  8)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:42 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Honestly, my intention has not been to start a flame war about flame wars

You suck, Mark. And so does Judges Guild. And so does ... ummm ... other stuff that you like!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:56 pm 

So because other forums are paranoid, elitist, and impatient means that that sort of temperament is A-okay? Talk about lowering the bar.

I don't think the presumption around here is that first-time posters are "asshats" until proven otherwise. So what if he posted in the wrong thread? It's not like any of us are perfect when it comes to keeping these forums on topic. The Vampire Queen auction wasn't exactly posted in the right forum either; members kill interesting threads over spelling mistakes; we dedicate entire threads to how stupid people are (which is incredibly helpful in building a collection); or simply to make fun of them (again, classy and insightful).

STS, you completely missed the point...as usual.  

1) He did post in the wrong thread...anyone should be able to post in the correct place if they just spent two seconds reading.  That didnt bother me at all nor did it bother anyone else from what I can tell.  Frankly I thought bclarkie was being nice about it.  :wink:
2) There was no problem where the PotVQ auction was posted.
3) Spelling mistakes?  Please show me a thread that has been killed because of spelling mistakes.  If that were the case, every thread that bclarkie started would be killed after a couple of posts. (j\k Brian  :wink: )
4) We do make fun of auction listings on occasion or the odd post.  Big deal.  A lot of people have no common sense...it's a fact.  Someone might be a neurosurgeon but not know how to operate a blender.  Does that mean they are unintelligent...no but it does mean that they need someone to point out how to run a piece of machinery that most 7 year olds can manage.  Hell if I didnt have people pointing out my stupid mistakes I wouldnt be around today.

Anyone with a small bit of common sense can see that this seller is most likely trying to garner more money for his auctions by adding history where there is none.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 pm 

1) He did post in the wrong thread...anyone should be able to post in the correct place if they just spent two seconds reading.  That didnt bother me at all nor did it bother anyone else from what I can tell.  Frankly I thought bclarkie was being nice about it.  

That's what I wrote. Posted in the wrong thread or forum.. big deal. Happens all the time.

2) There was no problem where the PotVQ auction was posted.

POTVQ wasn't posted in the classifieds.

The point is is that there not a science to where things should be posted.. just guidelines.

3) Spelling mistakes?  Please show me a thread that has been killed because of spelling mistakes.  If that were the case, every thread that bclarkie started would be killed after a couple of posts. (j\k Brian   )

Meant grammar. Just recently, the definition of the word "try" derailed an entire thread for no reason. There is post lawyering here.. it is undeniable.

4) We do make fun of auction listings on occasion or the odd post.  Big deal.  A lot of people have no common sense...it's a fact.  Someone might be a neurosurgeon but not know how to operate a blender.  Does that mean they are unintelligent...no but it does mean that they need someone to point out how to run a piece of machinery that most 7 year olds can manage.  Hell if I didnt have people pointing out my stupid mistakes I wouldnt be around today.

If "on occassion" you meant every single day, then that's a different interpretation of the word that I'm familiar with.

Becoming knowledgeable about a very obscure hobby requires quite a bit of expense (in time, if nothing else). The threads are purely about making fun of people because they are rationally ignorant (ie. most don't wish to dedicate their lives to the hobby to know current valuations inside out). There is no dialogue (or very little) with sellers to change their descriptions or to amend their pricing. That's just mean spirited.

The thread about Cougarrinard is even worse. So the guy is the worst dealer on the face of the planet (according to many here, at least). Post a sticky and get on with life. I don't think anyone else has learned more in in the dozen or more pages about him. I'm sure everyone here wants to be treated that way behind their back. No one deserves that kind of treatment.

Anyone with a small bit of common sense can see that this seller is most likely trying to garner more money for his auctions by adding history where there is none.

Maybe.. but coming from the TSR office probably isn't going to affect the value to many people, particularly when it hasn't been verified. Harmless.

PreviousNext