Valuation of TSR items with extras such as MSOLO1, B10 etc
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:43 pm 

Just thought I would raise this topic for general discussion. It has come up in a few threads recently and I am curious as to what the gerenal view on this is.

The Acaeum valuations generally show a range of equidistant values ranging from FR to NM, slightly diminishing in difference towards the NM end of the scale

While I think this effectively applies to most items there are a few for which it doesn't work well.

Notably those with Counters or Pens.

For example, X10s and B10s are common without the counters. I think most people when they bought them, punched and used the counters - so finding modules in VF or NM condition with counters unpunched is difficult.

The same applies to the solo modules with the invisible ink pens. They are a dime a dozen filled out with the pen missing, but VF or NM with the pen unfilled are rare.

Should there be a different valuation scale for these items?

For eample, MSOLO2 is currently:

4   8    13    16    19    21

Should the price jump between VG and FN, or between FN and VF, with the higher valuations assuming pens and counters intact? Say:

4    8    13    26    32    36

Thoughts?

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:21 pm 

Hi, when I originally created the valuation guidelines (after a couple rounds of feedback before and after), incompleteness (which this is a subclassification of) was given a flat 50%.

>>The total weighted condition for all of the elements is calculated. (Weighted condition is looked at instead of base condition, to allow for adjustments for incompleteness and shrinkwrap, since the Acaeum doctrine is currently that shrinkwrap will be a qualifier only, not a condition level, and that incompleteness degrades value.)

>>Weighted conditions are as follows:
• For an incomplete item, the weighted condition equals the actual condition x 0.5.

There was discussion on fine-tuning this a few times during my tenure, but I can't find the conversations right now.  Basically, incompleteness is regarded as a qualifier (percentage modifier) to condition, since it's (a) impossible to tell from a scan if an item is incomplete and (b) a field replete with uninformed sellers who might say an item is complete, sincerely, even though they're wrong.

Condition curving was discussed, but it got too complicated trying to factor in levels of completeness.  (Is it 90% complete?  75%?  63.2%?  What if one counter is missing and everything else is pristine?)  The .5 modifier averages out well over numerous auctions.  Also, there are not enough data points (auctions) for incomplete items to arrive at an accurate valuation without handling every item to determine incompleteness, which is impossible.

On a case-by-case basis, I simply recommend treating incomplete items as non-collectable.  I simply treat such items as resellable, not collectable, and what you get is what you get.  But admittedly I'm a completist when it comes to true collections and my viewpoint might be considered toward the extreme end.

You can see some interesting bits of "items missing" grading on a quasi-related field over here:

http://gotcha.classicgaming.gamespy.com/conditions.htm

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:07 pm 

Thanks dark seraphim for that comprehensive answer. Yes that makes a lot of sense. And it would be difficult to makes exceptions for a few items.

Perhaps then the only relevance of my comment is the rarity of complete counter and pen items. Do people consider these rare?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:51 am 

Its just one of those things isnt it?I got two mods with the pens but neither of the pens worked and the ink had dried out.I dont suppose any
one would actually want to really use the pens anyway because they would not last very long after all these years.It is as you said for completeness sake that we want them with the original solo mods.

M1 Blizzard pass is a good mod.I did a PNP conversion of it for the Neverwinter Nights game.