Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk!
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 27, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:48 am 
 

Even you D20 haters :)  may want to pick this up:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=pr ... /109257200

Pretty cool


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 138
Joined: May 28, 2006
Last Visit: Nov 12, 2007
Location: United States

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:44 am 
 

If you say so... Im not going to throw 35$ away for some d20 crap just because its got the word Greyhawk in it. Have you bought this already? Ever think thats the whole point of making the item, to try and trick old gamers into the trap. A marketing tactic. Have you actually read the copy?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:45 am 
 

Afrika Corps wrote:If you say so... Im not going to throw 35$ away for some d20 crap just because its got the word Greyhawk in it. Have you bought this already? Ever think thats the whole point of making the item, to try and trick old gamers into the trap. A marketing tactic. Have you actually read the copy?


wow that sounded pretty aggressive that.....chill man! :)



  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 138
Joined: May 28, 2006
Last Visit: Nov 12, 2007
Location: United States

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:54 am 
 

All Im saying is dont be fooled by the hype. D20/3rd Edition/Wizards of the coast has a consistent pattern of crap low quality mass marketed items, especialy when they release a product with a name from the past hoping the name alone and nostalgia will sell the product when the actual substance is crap, tired and unimaginitive. You have to be highly suspicious. I really do wonder how some of the newer products ever recieved the funding to ever get published, a total insult to the buyers. Kinda like a low budget movie.


Last edited by Afrika Corps on Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 138
Joined: May 28, 2006
Last Visit: Nov 12, 2007
Location: United States

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:59 am 
 

And Im mad as hell and Im not going to take it anymore... lol

  


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 2749
Joined: Feb 10, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 28, 2021
Location: Olde London Towne

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:58 am 
 

Afrika Corps wrote:And Im mad as hell and Im not going to take it anymore


I saw Network again the other day - it is still really fresh and angry as a film.  Less sentimental than Broadcast News and Good Night and Good Luck.  Well worth revisiting.


Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:25 am 
 

I don't particularly care for d20/3E but based on the previous "expedition" adventure Expedition to Ravenloft I will be picking it up along with Expedition to the Demonweb Pits.

As for Expedition to Undermountain....I may have to wait for a review on that one before buying it.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:07 am 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I don't particularly care for d20/3E but based on the previous "expedition" adventure Expedition to Ravenloft I will be picking it up along with Expedition to the Demonweb Pits.

As for Expedition to Undermountain....I may have to wait for a review on that one before buying it.


demonweb pits is one of my all-time fave scenarios, but i won't buy it in d20 format, no matter how gorgeous it looks. simply doesnt do it for me i am afraid, but hey to each their own.

now if they did a 1E version of it !! WAHAY!

Al



  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 232
Joined: Nov 16, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 30, 2017

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:31 am 
 

I spit on Wizards' attempts to steal thunder from Gary's upcoming CZ projects.

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:23 am 
 

Hmmm, my take on WotC's, "Expedition to How They Ruined Castle Greyhawk".  Lets see....

This will be how its received:

Image



And this is what I'd like to do to WotC because of it:

Image


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:26 am 
 

Wolfgang Baur is writing 'Demonweb' and Erik Mona is helping with 'Greyhawk' so I don't see how either of these could end up bad.

Just because the books are for d20 doesnt automatically make them shit.  :?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:28 am 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Wolfgang Baur is writing 'Demonweb' and Erik Mona is helping with 'Greyhawk' so I don't see how either of these could end up bad.

Just because the books are for d20 doesnt automatically make them shit.  :?


ah no maybe you mis-interpreted what i put there KoP. i like the scenarios very much, i just dont like the d20 format thats all. just totally puts me off liking something as i cant really relate to it. not saying its bad or anything, just not to my taste thats all.

Al



  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:53 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
ah no maybe you mis-interpreted what i put there KoP. i like the scenarios very much, i just dont like the d20 format thats all. just totally puts me off liking something as i cant really relate to it. not saying its bad or anything, just not to my taste thats all.

Al


Actually Al, you werent the one that my comments were directed to.  I don't care for the d20/3E format at all myself.  But dismissing something as a pile of offal before it is even released just because it has the d20/3E/3.5E logo on it doesnt make much sense IMO.  People should at least wait until after they have read through the free PDF that they downloaded before passing judgment.

If it turns out to be crap, I will be the first person to say so.

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:11 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Actually Al, you werent the one that my comments were directed to.  I don't care for the d20/3E format at all myself.  But dismissing something as a pile of offal before it is even released just because it has the d20/3E/3.5E logo on it doesnt make much sense IMO.  People should at least wait until after they have read through the free PDF that they downloaded before passing judgment.

If it turns out to be crap, I will be the first person to say so.



To be honest, I do not have extensive experience with D20 material, but of the stuff that I have had the misfortune of running into would give the term "crap" a bad name.

Additionally, at a pretty steep cost of $35, I would much rather invest that money into something older and much more interesting IMO.  $35 will buy you a lot of cool older common stuff, or to look at this way, you could pick up a copy or two of an older Dragon magazine (anywhere between issues 10-30) for that cost or perhaps set that money aside as it it roughly the 1/4 or so of cost of one of the R series modules.  

As DD pointed out as well above, I also do not like the taste it leaves in my mouth by what is seemingly an apparent attempt by WotC at trying tp overshadow's EGG's own work Castle Greyhawk work through CZ.  And before anyone accuses me of being a shill, I have absolutely no intentions of buying any parts of CZ, unless I get a lucky & cheap Ebay pick up.  I will most certainly not be picking up CZ at retail price, thats for sure.  :)


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche


Last edited by bclarkie on Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:32 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:As DD pointed out as well above, I also do not like the taste it leaves in my mouth by what is seemingly an apparent attempt by WotC at trying tp overshadow's EGG's own work Castle Greyhak work through CZ.

I don't care if the d20 adventures are the greatest thing ever produced.  Sequels suck, and it doesn't matter who writes 'em.  It is in particularly poor taste if it is a deliberate attempt to take "market share" away from EGG.  Go back to making millions on cheap plastic minis, you hacks!

While CZ isn't technically a sequel, and is almost certainly to be a better product, I won't be buying it either.  It's sure to suffer from unavoidable rewriting of history, inclusions of lost stuff, and all kinds of things I just don't want to know about.  It would ruin the experience for me.  I like my Greyhawk old and sketchy, not modern and covered in painstaking detail.

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5634
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 27, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:58 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Wolfgang Baur is writing 'Demonweb' and Erik Mona is helping with 'Greyhawk' so I don't see how either of these could end up bad.

Just because the books are for d20 doesnt automatically make them shit.  :?


Ummm, yes, it does, Pain.
Now if it were titled "Rewriting of Greyhawk Ruins for Mindless Teen Powergamers", that would be different. Well, no, it would still be shit.....


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:02 pm 
 

Deadlord39 wrote:
Ummm, yes, it does, Pain.
Now if it were titled "Rewriting of Greyhawk Ruins for Mindless Teen Powergamers", that would be different. Well, no, it would still be shit.....


:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

classic stuff :D

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7960
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 28, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:42 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:I don't care if the d20 adventures are the greatest thing ever produced.  Sequels suck, and it doesn't matter who writes 'em.  It is in particularly poor taste if it is a deliberate attempt to take "market share" away from EGG.  Go back to making millions on cheap plastic minis, you hacks!

While CZ isn't technically a sequel, and is almost certainly to be a better product, I won't be buying it either.  It's sure to suffer from unavoidable rewriting of history, inclusions of lost stuff, and all kinds of things I just don't want to know about.  It would ruin the experience for me.  I like my Greyhawk old and sketchy, not modern and covered in painstaking detail.


Cmon guys. It's not like they are desecrating a "classic".  The original WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins was not only 2nd edition, AND not written by EGG, but it's one of the worst examples of "monster hotels" ever seen...lots of rooms filled with creatures with no rhyme or reason.  I personally hate the thing.  And no one is taking market share away from EGG except for EGG...I refuse to believe the "official" Castle Greyhawk will ever be published until it is actually physically sitting right in front of me.  Oh, and I LOVE the plastic minis....just invested in a bunch of nice ones, I'm going to buy the dragons soon, and I started selling all my old lead mini sets on ebay last month!!!!!!
:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:47 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:Cmon guys. It's not like they are desecrating a "classic".  The original WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins was not only 2nd edition, AND not written by EGG, but it's one of the worst examples of "monster hotels" ever seen...lots of rooms filled with creatures with no rhyme or reason.  I personally hate the thing.

I was referring to WG7!  :twisted:

Oh, and I LOVE the plastic minis....just invested in a bunch of nice ones, I'm going to buy the dragons soon, and I started selling all my old lead mini sets on ebay last month!!!!!!
:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
Mike B.

Quiet you, or I'll start ripping DMGs apart at the spine again.  :lol:

 YIM  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:57 pm 
 

Deadlord39 wrote:

Ummm, yes, it does, Pain.
Now if it were titled "Rewriting of Greyhawk Ruins for Mindless Teen Powergamers", that would be different. Well, no, it would still be shit.....


So your saying that all d20 is shit, and no one should buy d20 because it is shit, and people shouldnt waste money on shit?  Right?

So why this?


** expired eBay auction **


Is Goodman Games stuff different?  It still has d20 on it so I would assume that by your definition that it is nothing but crap.  I am not trying to pick a fight Frank but when people like Afrika Corps make statements like this one:

If you say so... Im not going to throw 35$ away for some d20 crap just because its got the word Greyhawk in it. Have you bought this already? Ever think thats the whole point of making the item, to try and trick old gamers into the trap. A marketing tactic. Have you actually read the copy?


Of course its a marketing tactic.  A tactic that is designed to target old and new gamers alike.  Why would WoTC not want to include the older gamers in the audience they are trying to reach?  With all of the complaints over the years about the Greyhawk setting not getting any respect from WoTC you would think that more people would be open to stuff like this.

I really do wonder how some of the newer products ever recieved the funding to ever get published, a total insult to the buyers. Kinda like a low budget movie.




And this I really dont understand at all.  Not that it has anything to do with the topic at hand but some of the better movies ever made were low budget.

[/i]Halloween, Clerks, Reservoir Dogs, and El Mariachi just to name a few.  AK, if the only movies you enjoy are $100 million special effects extravaganzas then I would think that something like Expedition to Castle Greyhawk would be just the thing for you since apparently it is nothing but filler, rehashed plot, and overhyped crap.  Even though no one has any idea since it hasnt even been released yet.[/b]

  
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5