D Series and G series with funky covers?
Author

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:21 pm 

I know about the monos, but this looks different...whats the story?

** expired eBay auction **

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:25 pm 

Azhag2000 wrote:I know about the monos, but this looks different...whats the story?

Australian editions.  Far more rare/valuable. ;)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:25 pm 

Azhag2000 wrote:I know about the monos, but this looks different...whats the story?

They are the Aussie version Monchromes:

http://www.acaeum.com/library/foreign.html

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/modpage ... d1for.html

etc.  

Exceptionally hard to find too.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:42 pm 

Ah.  Does anyone have confirmation that the rest are like these?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:56 pm 

Azhag2000 wrote:Ah.  Does anyone have confirmation that the rest are like these?

seller wrote:Modules G1,2 &3 and modules D1,2&3 all have a coloured card cover with black printing

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:37 am 

I got the seller to send images of the others to me (as did some other bidders). All 6 are the australian versions.

I reckon the winner got a bit of a bargain - roughly US$150 each.

Nev

PS Hi everyone!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:46 am 

nev wrote:I got the seller to send images of the others to me (as did some other bidders). All 6 are the australian versions.

I reckon the winner got a bit of a bargain - roughly US$150 each.

Nev

PS Hi everyone!

Hi Nev! Do you still have that white box set i sold you years ago?
I wonder if this auction was found using auctionsieve? It seems the seller had no idea what he had!

Posted: seeking arcane knowledge, will pay well for old writings,books,scrolls,alchemist cookbooks, and other odds n' ends that will aid me in furthering my pursuits!

-Thenraine the silver magus

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:04 pm 

Nice win Tom Bombadil! I'd be interested to know whether you got six Aussie monos in NM condition. Let us all know!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:31 pm 

I can already tell you they're not going to be near-mint.  But the pics he sent me look good enough.

I think I got away with one there.  Where was everybody?   :D

Anyway, thanks!

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:32 pm 

bombadil wrote:I can already tell you they're not going to be near-mint.  But the pics he sent me look good enough.
Anyway, thanks!

I was watching but I just obtained 2 of the 3 Giant aussies to complete a set of the G series. So, I decided to just watch.

Congrats bombadil....... 8)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:48 pm 

bombadil wrote:I can already tell you they're not going to be near-mint.  But the pics he sent me look good enough.

Anyway, thanks!

I don't think the seller did himself any favors selling them as a set; a lot of guys probably have one or two already.  

(Personally, while I would have bid higher than the final average for any single module, I just can't afford to put in a high bid on all of them at once...)

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:47 pm 

I can already tell you they're not going to be near-mint.  But the pics he sent me look good enough.

I think I got away with one there.  Where was everybody?   

Anyway, thanks!

I plopped down $550 for these... apparently nowhere near enough. And yeah, I think theyll be in the fine-very fine ballpark (really nice for things so old).

I think what partly depresses their value (to me, at least) is that there's nothing different than the other versions available more cheaply (okay, yeah, aside from the cool covers). It seems only the major collector types -- that is, those who own almost everything and want to fill a hole in a very massive collection -- would really want them. As such, the market is fairly narrow.. and may be getting smaller [imagine the demand for a very limited print run of gold plated B2s.. same sort of thing].

For me, unless I'm speculating on future demand, I'd prefer to own the RPGA modules (items of comparable value) because they offer something tangible that really isn't available anywhere else (for me, artwork, story, and even the adventure).. and, as a byproduct, open themselves up to a broader market in the long-term.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:48 pm 

I was outbid as I was bidding.   :wink:

20 seconds left I was putting in a bid for $725 aus. and I was told that wasn't enough anymore.

Congrats on the win; I was just going to resell them....after I held them and drooled on them for a second.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
I plopped down $550 for these... apparently nowhere near enough. And yeah, I think theyll be in the fine-very fine ballpark (really nice for things so old).

I think what partly depresses their value (to me, at least) is that there's nothing different than the other versions available more cheaply (okay, yeah, aside from the cool covers). It seems only the major collector types -- that is, those who own almost everything and want to fill a hole in a very massive collection -- would really want them. As such, the market is fairly narrow.. and may be getting smaller [imagine the demand for a very limited print run of gold plated B2s.. same sort of thing].

For me, unless I'm speculating on future demand, I'd prefer to own the RPGA modules (items of comparable value) because they offer something tangible that really isn't available anywhere else (for me, artwork, story, and even the adventure).. and, as a byproduct, open themselves up to a broader market in the long-term.

Those covers are great though i can see how they are coveted!

Posted: seeking arcane knowledge, will pay well for old writings,books,scrolls,alchemist cookbooks, and other odds n' ends that will aid me in furthering my pursuits!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:11 am 

Hey I was high bidder 10 seconds before the end :D   I was laughing thinking I was going to win at such a low price!!

Congrats Stephen  a great win.  Lots of good stuff available lately, maybe that contributed to a few guys pulling in there horns

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:13 am 

Yep - still got the white box!

Funny thing - I haven't bought any D&D in ages but I was doing some testing on AuctionSieve and used my Australian role playing category sieve for the test I was doing. And what should I find but the aussie monos!

Still have my Tsojconth as well - nice to see that increase in value over the last few years  :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:03 am 

nev wrote:Yep - still got the white box!

Funny thing - I haven't bought any D&D in ages but I was doing some testing on AuctionSieve and used my Australian role playing category sieve for the test I was doing. And what should I find but the aussie monos!

Still have my Tsojconth as well - nice to see that increase in value over the last few years  :D

sweet! 8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:05 am 

Good to see you, nev :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/