Best RPG product, & what product do you WISH for?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:54 am 

:idea:
This one came as I was reading HermitfromPluto's thread about the most laughable RP product.

Two questions:
(a)  What RPG product(s) do you think was the BEST;
and
(b)  What RPG product(s) would you like to see, that doesn't exist? (or a different version of something that does exist; i.e. a version of T1-4 with changes)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:26 pm 

sleepyCO wrote::idea:
This one came as I was reading HermitfromPluto's thread about the most laughable RP product.

Two questions:
and
(b)  What RPG product(s) would you like to see, that doesn't exist? (or a different version of something that does exist; i.e. a version of T1-4 with changes)

A)  For Best product, I don't know if I can pick one, there are just way too may that I love.  :)

B) And I want to get his in so I claim to have started the parade. Without a doubt the product has got to be EGG's original Castle Greyhawk that should have come out in the mid 1980's.  Its just a shame that it got lost because of the screw job EGG got.  :cry:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:27 pm 

I think those questions are too broad in scope.

Maybe,

1. What is the best AD&D/D&D rpg product? (1e and earlier)

I am going to go with the D&D Rules Cyclopedia. Clean, simple yet complex enough to keep the game from getting stale.

2. What is the best AD&D/D&D product that was never made?

A cohesive greyhawk campaign setting including a real module series (the WG series is aweful in my opinion).

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:28 pm 

1.  I think I have to agree about the Rules Cyclopedia. It is just such a great product with all the information you need & is so comprehensive & well designed.

2. A good D&D movie?
Possibly some of the rumoured "vapourware" like DA5 "City of Blackmoor" (though I understand this was never even written). My bet is each TSR got screwed like in the 80s, and even when worlds were cancelled, we lost a lot of material.  :(

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:13 pm 

Two questions:
and

There are so many "best" items it's hard to think of just one. Something I use almost every single day is the Core Rules Expansion CD Rom.  Contains every essential book to play AD&D plus a lot of unessential stuff.  It's endlessly adaptable.  I have several thousand custom monsters, treasures, spells, characters classes, etc on my copy.  Nice to have all the rulebooks at your fingertips on your laptop when you play....I never even bring my books to sessions anymore.  At this point I would find it hard to DM or play without it.

I would have liked to see a Castle Greyhawk, but unfortunately it's at least 25 years too late.  At this point, anything published with that name will never live up to the hype, plus it's just a different era....super dungeons are a dime a dozen, and I doubt if EGG's brilliant presentaton skills he had in his prime are present now.  Just a terrible lost opportunity.

It would have been nice to see a "GH" series presented in the same format and with the same level of detail as the "FR" series for the Forgotten Realms setting.  I'd love to be sitting down perusing GH5 Theocracy of the Pale or GH8 Kingdom of Keoland or GH11 Perrenland and the Yatils, but alas it was never to be.....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:14 pm 

(A) My vote for best RPG product has to be The Keep on the Borderlands.  Non-complicated and lots of goblin and orc bashing. :D

(B) And I wish the Al-Qadim line could be brought back and re-worked.  Gotta love it when fighters encased in plate armor boil in the desert and die from exhaustion.  :lol:   No 3rd edition rules please. :evil:

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:27 pm 

Two questions:
and

Tegel Manor

CSWE or any unpublished City States

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:59 pm 

Plaag wrote:
Tegel Manor

CSWE or any unpublished City States

ShaneG.

i will go along with shane on the Tegal Manor

with regards to changing something. i would like to see wilderlands of the magic realms beefed out a little and moulded into 1E :)

or some new ravenloft stuff thats not 3E

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:09 pm 

Two questions:
and

I guess if I asked the question I should throw my $2.00 (inflation) in as well  :oops:  :) .

For (a), how about these little things: d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, d%.

For (b), I wished there had been proper sequels to T1 Village of Hommlet instead of the T1-4 supermodule; I agree about a DA5, plus an L4, L5, etc.; and as mentioned above a Castle Greyhawk with all levels.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:21 pm 

Give me the giant modules any day.  G1, G2 and G3 were the best modules ever made.

I would like to have an affordable copy of Castle Greyhawk with all of the levels.

I would be willing to pay in the $30 range without hesitation and the $40 range with some calculating.

Unfortunately, the trend I am seeing would have Castle Greyhawk out in a $200 version...a "special edition" because part of it would be printed on parchment paper.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:42 pm 

My favorite is the U series, it just doesn't get any better than this.

A room at the Saltmarsh Inn: 1gp
Dinner: 2sp
Lopping off Ned's head the first time he attempts a backstab: PRICELESS

What would I wish for? I'm easy to please, how about all three in mint SW condition. A good gaming group and time to play again would be nice also.  8)

Last edited by Ekim Toor on Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:03 pm 

Pinning down a favourite is really tough for me.  Although I really would have liked to see the other parts for Seren Ironhand (one before and one after).

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:15 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Give me the giant modules any day.  G1, G2 and G3 were the best modules ever made.

Put them all together and I definitely agree.  A close second for me would be I7.

I would love to see either of the following:

- Beyond the World of Greyhawk.  A monster box set that describes all of the lands of Oerth south and west of the Flanaess that were never fleshed out.

- MERP First/Second Age.  Sourcebooks for Numenor, Beleriand, and Angband.  Books detailing cities and fortresses such as Nargothrond, Thangorodrim, and Gondolin.  Adventures during those ages including the battles against Morgoth.

And I wish that the following could just disappear:

- 30 Years of Adventure: A Celebration of Dungeons & Dragons.  This book should be redone for the 40th anniversary.  It should be twice as big and include references to other game companies besides TSR such as Judges Guild.  Make it Heroic Worlds with pictures.

- Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.  I really like Monte Cook's work but this just seemed rushed to me.  Tharizdun deserves better than this.  :twisted:

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:27 pm 

Best RPG product: i sort of thought that OD&D/greyhawk/blackmoor are a given so ...

Masks of Nyarlathotep

The products I'd love to see ...

-  MERP: the First Age (would save me a shed load of time as I'm running an on/off campaign in Himlad for an old crew of power crazed players)
- Inferno : the last circles of hell
- enchanted character sheets where fixed stats showed up in red & while I'm on the theme, dice that shouted out the result (or waited until the player blagged it before piping up)
- never ending beer can
- a set of figs that could change into whatever monster I wanted
- a TARDIS so I could take an extra week-end every week for an old-fashioned long session away from wife & kids ..... bliss

And docu-dramas:
- Iggwilv (the uncut in depth version: finally tracked down in the abyss, our interviewer doorsteps the once infamous witch: your questions answered.. public phone-in: learn of her deprived childhood and how a lifetime of oppression stemmed from being stood up at the coven graduation dance: special guest Tharizdun reveals all "well iggy was just this gal you know ...")

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:43 am 

My vote for the single best RPG product ever made would definitely be Ruins of Undermountain!  :wink: Nothing before or since has ever been so exciting and fun for me.

The 1st Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (gray box), Labyrinth of Madness, and City of Skulls are the runners up. I know it's heresy to some, but the 1st Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting blows away even the old Greyhawk Folio as a setting, in my eyes! 8O  

What I would love to have seen? The rest of Undermountain, developed as excitingly as the first box set! The second box set sucked beyond words, and they never developed it much after that.

Bah! :evil:

I'm developing it myself, as we speak!   :D

Visit the Back In Print website...where OOP is Back In Print!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:01 am 

Besides those already mentioned by others, I'd like to see the following;

El Raja Key by Robert J. Kuntz.
Planes of Existance by Gygax and Marsh (as an orange spine hardback).
City of the Revenant by Steve Marsh (as a campaign setting or a series of advenures SM1-SM5).
Sacrifices to the Orc Lord by Wm John Wheeler and Peter L. Rice (I'd settle for a copy of TSR's manuscript).
Battle for Dwarf Mountain from Delf Enterprises.
Deep Water - Shallow Graves from Integrated Games.
The Village of Restenby by Paul Vernon.
Eye of the Dragon by Tracy and Laura Hickman (or even a look at the Daystar West cover).

Imagine the bidding frenzy when the Treasure Trove presents Daystar West's Eye of the Dragon cover proof and adventure notes.
Didn't Tracy say he dug them out a while back?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:37 am 

napoleonsdad wrote:My vote for best RPG product has to be The Keep on the Borderlands.  Non-complicated and lots of goblin and orc bashing. :D

I agree. Plus there's so much advice and rules on running the module that you can almost do it without having the game!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:46 pm 

I'd say the best RPG product was the original Deities & Demigods because contains my favorite collection of classic D&D art, including my favorite cover.

My most wanted items would be:
Dragons in the Basement released on DVD.
A film version of the history of RPGs done like Pirates of Silicon Valley.
Film versions of the classic modules, like GDQ1-7, S1, T1 etc.
A huge comprehensive chronological art book of all major RPG art and info from 1971 - 1989, the size of the new Ralph McQuarrie book coming out. 400 large pages with over 1000 pieces of art.

Next