SHIPPING TIMES...
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:08 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Lawrenson does. Ask him for a description and some pics.

Lawrenson is Italian? Are you sure? I have never heard of him  :?: . Well, there is no problem anyway: the module arrived safely this morning  :D and I checked it carefully. It's in very good conditions and I'm satisfied. The troubles are over, at last!  :wink:

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:48 am 

Hmmm.  I'm a bit suspicious too.  Can you get hold of a microscope?  A regular tabletop / science-class variety will do.  Under magnification, you can discern the printing method:

1) ink-jet printing has dots of equal size.

2) laser / photocopy printing also has dots (actually, collections of toner dust), but they are irregular in size.  There will also be a random scatter of very small dust (toner) particles.

3) offset printing, which is what all D&D modules (and most commercial printing) is produced with, has a very flat appearance with even coverage of ink and sharp edges.  No dots.

This may help you figure out if it's counterfeit or not.  Most counterfeiters are not going to have access to an offset press, since they're still quite expensive.  The danger is that an owner of a legitimate ST1 decides to make a few extras -- D&D modules are not all that difficult to replicate, especially ones without full-color covers.

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:34 am 

FoulFoot wrote:Hmmm.  I'm a bit suspicious too.  Can you get hold of a microscope?  A regular tabletop / science-class variety will do.  Under magnification, you can discern the printing method:

1) ink-jet printing has dots of equal size.

2) laser / photocopy printing also has dots (actually, collections of toner dust), but they are irregular in size.  There will also be a random scatter of very small dust (toner) particles.

3) offset printing, which is what all D&D modules (and most commercial printing) is produced with, has a very flat appearance with even coverage of ink and sharp edges.  No dots.

This may help you figure out if it's counterfeit or not.  Most counterfeiters are not going to have access to an offset press, since they're still quite expensive.  The danger is that an owner of a legitimate ST1 decides to make a few extras -- D&D modules are not all that difficult to replicate, especially ones without full-color covers.

Foul

Unfortunately I don't have any microscope, but I'll check the module very, very closely as soon as I'm back at home. The seller has a great feedback and a very high rating, so I trusted him. The fact it had two copies was really suspicious to me too, but he sent the replacement copy via UPS spending $ 90 in the process and America is the lands of Wonders after all  :wink: . I checked my copy and the image of the auction and the modules seemed different copies. More, it showed some signs of usage in form of lightly consumed corners and so on.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:03 am 

Hi

no, I'm not Italian, I'm English.

Personally, I don't think they posted it the first time (and no, I have no idea why not).

If I was a seller who'd just lost a thousand-dollar module in the post, I would be VERY upset.

I don't think I would replace it that quickly, when there was hope that it would turn up, and a couple of weeks from Canada is not that long.

Just my opinion.

Glad it arrived safely tho.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:32 am 

lawrenson wrote:Hi

no, I'm not Italian, I'm English.

Personally, I don't think they posted it the first time (and no, I have no idea why not).

If I was a seller who'd just lost a thousand-dollar module in the post, I would be VERY upset.

I don't think I would replace it that quickly, when there was hope that it would turn up, and a couple of weeks from Canada is not that long.

Just my opinion.

Glad it arrived safely tho.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Ah, I was almost sure you was British but considering the fact that some sellers think I'm American (what insult!  :P ) perhaps you could be an Italian-in-Exile  8O

Anyway, so far the 'first' copy of ST 1 has not materialized...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:58 am 

From the sounds of it, I don't think they'll mind much. They'll just print off another.

There's way too many weird things going on here, Sot. Have you had a chance to check the module out?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:25 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:From the sounds of it, I don't think they'll mind much. They'll just print off another.

There's way too many weird things going on here, Sot. Have you had a chance to check the module out?

I have checked the module carefully  :!:  and it seems authentic to me. It has all the signs of age and usage (rounded corners, some signs on the cover, a little rusty staples, etc.) , it's not crisp clean or such. However, it would be most advisable comparing this copy with another but this is not possiboe at the monent (not in Italy at least). but as I said before the seller has a outstanding feedback so I'm willing to give her the benefit of doubt  :| . I consider the module authentic  :mrgreen: .

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:58 am 

Is the second copy in as good condition as the first (as it was described in the listing)?

It is an old trick. Describe something as being in great condition. Get a

great price for it. But oh look it got lost in the mail. I do have a second copy but it is not as quite good as the first...

But at least you get your item while I've sold 2 items for the price of one...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:29 am 

jagd wrote:Is the second copy in as good condition as the first (as it was described in the listing)?

It is an old trick. Describe something as being in great condition. Get a

great price for it. But oh look it got lost in the mail. I do have a second copy but it is not as quite good as the first...

But at least you get your item while I've sold 2 items for the price of one...

As we say here, "you never stop learning!"... It seems of the same quality, anyway, ant its conditions match Acaeum suggested prices

Previous