Original shrink wrap opionin needed
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:50 pm 

Alright here is the I14 I have been talking about:

As noted, the shrinkwrap is very crispy/crinkly like the old school shrinkwrap is.  However, as noted in previous posts(and I have marked it with red), there is clearly damage to the item that had to come from it being opened,  i.e the tear along the left hand side of the cover(its circled) and also note that amount of extra space in the shrinkwrap that I am pointing to with the arrows along the top  and left hand edges.  If I tore the shrinkwrap off it, I could not tell that this item was a reshrink, just by the feel of the shrink.  The damage to the module though and the fact that it is so oversized tells a completely different story though.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:51 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
It would help if I could see it for myself, but IMHO the fact that the seals on all sides are so uneven puts up a big red flag for a reshrink job to me.  TBH, it really reminds me of the load of shrinked I1's I picked up over a year ago, that I asked about here:

viewtopic.php?t=2760&highlight=shrink

I am fairly certain that after looking through all the other items that I have now and have in the past sold, that those I1's were probably reshrinked.

Check out the Acaeum scan of the 2nd-3rd print X1.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:57 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
Check out the Acaeum scan of the 2nd-3rd print X1.

Okay I just did.  The scan is a bit too trimmed, but I can see that it is shrinked.  It also only shows one seal unlike the picture that you have which shows 3.  On top of that, I am not sure that even if it was identical to yours, that it does not mean that the one on the site isn't reshinked as well. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:57 pm 

FWIW, here are a few other pictures of the aforementioned I14:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:59 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Okay I just did.  The scan is a bit too trimmed, but I can see that it is shrinked.  It also only shows one seal unlike the picture that you have which shows 3.  On top of that, I am not sure that even if it was identical to yours, that it does not mean that the one on the site isn't reshinked as well. :)

BTB, don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be difficult, I just have a lot of experience with shrinked modules as it is still pretty much one of  the primary focuses of my collection.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:02 pm 

FWIW, here are a few other pictures of the aforementioned I14:

That's closer to what I have Brian.  Still what troubles me is the wording of it coming from a wholeseller's overstock.  I also purchased 2 Dungeoneer's Survival Guides and 2 Dragonlance Adventure hardbacks, all from the wholeseller overstock.  The books are brand new.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:09 pm 

It would help if I could see it for myself, but IMHO the fact that the seals on all sides are so uneven puts up a big red flag for a reshrink job to me.  TBH, it really reminds me of the load of shrinked I1's I picked up over a year ago, that I asked about here:

viewtopic.php?t=2760&highlight=shrink

I am fairly certain that after looking through all the other items that I have now and have in the past sold, that those I1's were probably reshrinked.

I agree. Those seams smack of a re-shrink job. I've run into quite of those in the past and they definitely aren't original (typically, you can tell by the unusual wear on the module.. I've even opened up a few). The only mods that have legit seals along the sides (from my experience) are circa 1987 and onwards.

I posted a thread somewhere about what constitutes real shrink and what doesn't.. I think Brian's D2 was the type of shrink job that I was inquiring about. I don't see those very often (and I don't own any) and so I haven't tested whether those are original or not.

I purchased a C1 from this very seller (kitdude) that Gary mentions.. I haven't paid for it yet.. but I'm probably headed for some bad news.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:21 pm 

I purchased a C1 from this very seller (kitdude) that Gary mentions.. I haven't paid for it yet.. but I'm probably headed for some bad news.

Not necessarily.  Two other s/w items came frm a separate order from this seller and they  were original.  For that matter, I opened the X1 because of the doubt and the module is as new as can be.  So it's my best guess that the wrap was original.   8O

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:24 pm 

napoleonsdad wrote:
Not necessarily.  Two other s/w items came frm a separate order from this seller and they  were original.  For that matter, I opened the X1 because of the doubt and the module is as new as can be.  So it's my best guess that the wrap was original.   8O

There is always the possibility that the rewrapping was done due to the fact that the original factory wrap was too tattered or torn signifigantly.  I have seen circumstances where the FLGS has done that.  The item is effectively new, but due to the fact that the original wrap is falling off, torn, etc. they tear off what left of the original shrinkwrap and then reshrink it so that it appears as new.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:58 am 

bclarkie wrote:There is always the possibility that the rewrapping was done due to the fact that the original factory wrap was too tattered or torn signifigantly.  I have seen circumstances where the FLGS has done that.  The item is effectively new, but due to the fact that the original wrap is falling off, torn, etc. they tear off what left of the original shrinkwrap and then reshrink it so that it appears as new.

One can hardly fault a retailer for doing this, too -- shrinkwrap protects a module on the shelves and keeps dirty fingers from thumbing through it -- and one can't expect a seller to necessarily know the difference between original shrink and re-shrinking. :) But I would imagine that a seller who is consistently offering re-shrinked items for sale would have to be avoided.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:58 pm 

Gary,

All the mods I got were in the original shrinkwrap. Sounds like the X1 was just a rewrap from a retailer way back in the day..

Previous