record price?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:42 pm 

STS

Last edited by Sea-to-sky-games on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:45 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:When you advertise a sale of something for $5 (or if you want to put in the context of auctions, the minimum expected bid price), you are implicitly stating that you are indifferent between taking the $5 (and having no module) and keeping the module. I suppose you could argue that most sellers are irrational, so my comments wouldn't relate to those people on the board.. only the rational ones.  

I am??? You can actually read my mind as to what I am thinking when I list items for sale??? Wow you really are smarter that you appear to be by your posts on this site.  Its really a good thing that the Woody auction that you were so convinved was legit ended up that way right?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:51 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
I think we're simply talking at cross purposes again. You have one definition of "trying to sell", I have another.

To you, it seems "trying to sell" must mean looking to get rid of something at all costs or doing so to make a profit.

To me, "trying to sell" means only that you make an item available (and informing others of this fact) for purchase by another person.

Now you are trying to redefine the dictionary???

TRY:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/try

. to attempt to do or accomplish: Try it before you say it's simple.  
2. to test the effect or result of (often fol. by out): to try a new method; to try a recipe out.  
3. to endeavor to evaluate by experiment or experience: to try a new field; to try a new book.  
4. to test the quality, value, fitness, accuracy, etc., of: Will you try a spoonful of this and tell me what you think of it?  
5. Law. to examine and determine judicially, as a cause; determine judicially the guilt or innocence of (a person).  
6. to put to a severe test; subject to strain, as of endurance, patience, affliction, or trouble; tax: to try one's patience.  
7. to attempt to open (a door, window, etc.) in order to find out whether it is locked: Try all the doors before leaving.  
8. to melt down (fat, blubber, etc.) to obtain the oil; render (usually fol. by out).  
9. Archaic. a. to determine the truth or right of (a quarrel or question) by test or battle (sometimes fol. by out).  
b. to find to be right by test or experience.  

--verb (used without object) 10. to make an attempt or effort; strive: Try to complete the examination.  
11. Nautical. to lie to in heavy weather under just sufficient sail to head into the wind.  
--noun 12. an attempt or effort: to have a try at something.  
13. Rugby. a score of three points earned by advancing the ball to or beyond the opponents' goal line.  
—Verb phrases14. try on, to put on an article of clothing in order to judge its appearance and fit: You can't really tell how it will look until you try it on.  
15. try out, to use experimentally; test: to try out a new car.  
16. try out for, to compete for (a position, membership, etc.): Over a hundred boys came to try out for the football team.  
—Idioms17. give it the old college try, Informal. to make a sincere effort: I gave it the old college try and finally found an apartment.  
18. try it, that, etc., on, Chiefly British Informal. a. to put on airs: She's been trying it on ever since the inheritance came through.  
b. to be forward or presumptuous, esp. with a member of the opposite sex: She avoided him after he'd tried it on with her.  

Its also quite funny that your defintion of try is in direct conflict with what the poster posted:

dragonstrove wrote:I wasn't really looking to sell them

What part of that does he even hint that he is "trying to sell it"???
TBH, I am not even sure why I am arguing with you anyomre as its pointless and you really do not have a clue and you absolutely refuse to acknowledge it.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:53 pm 

:roll:

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:55 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
Shhh!

I am happy to announce that its official:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:59 pm 

STS

Last edited by Sea-to-sky-games on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:05 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
I have and continue to acknowledge that you can see things differently, as per my earlier post.

As to the definition of "try", certainly going through the effort to publicize one's willingness to sell an item (by posting it on a website) and even to specify the exact price needed to part with that item.. is an attempt to accomplish a sale! I don't think it is conceivable to "sell" or "try to sell" something without first doing both of those things. Can you?

If you say so there chief:

dragonstrove wrote:I wasn't really looking to sell them

The seller is of a differeing opinion of what you are saying himself, so you are really arguing with the sellers own intentions about why he put the item on his site.  Maybe you should send him an email and you can argue with him about his own intentions, just like you are telling me about my thought process when I am auctioning my stuff.  Dude, you are a f**king genious.  Like I said above, I am happy to announce that it is in fact official:

Last edited by bclarkie on Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:05 pm 

Personal attacks don't constitute an argument. All they do is make the person making them look childish.

bclarkie wrote:Another thing that needs to be said is that Michael made that post here well over 2 years ago, back when the going rate for an Inverness was around $800.

If Mike no longer wanted to see the 'Inverness' for $3000 as he apparently did before, then he could have changed the price in the intervening two years. The fact that he hasn't -- he surely has a good idea of the market value of items -- would seem to indicate that he's still willing to sell it at that price.

Look, I get that some of you are annoyed at STS. Why, I have not yet fathomed. One would think that the opinions of a capitalist would be welcomed in a forum where many people buy and sell games for profit. In any case, it's pretty lame to attack someone personally ('assclown', 'troll') just because his opinions about the economics of collecting differ from yours.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:06 pm 

I am happy to announce that its official:

STS

Last edited by Sea-to-sky-games on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:09 pm 

I've always thought that $1500 price he's got for the Tamo is within the confidence limits.  He sent me a bunch of scans and closeups many months ago, and it looks pretty good.

If I didn't already have one, I'd certainly bag that one for what he's asking.  

The Inverness, on the other hand, is far too expensive, but of course he's aware of that.

By the way, he had a 3rd print woody sitting on the site for a long time with a price tag of $650 (IIRC).  I hemmed and hawed, and finally came around to the decision that it wasn't really that far off, but by then it was gone.  Congrats to whomever picked it up.  Looked like a nice copy.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:11 pm 

Yawn.

Am I any closer to 2000 posts yet?

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Man.

This is taking forever.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Guess I should have adopted the draco76 method long ago...

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:12 pm 

BTW,

Let mirth prevail!

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:13 pm 

I must say that I chuckle every time I see your signature!! :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:13 pm 

Yawn.

Am I any closer to 2000 posts yet?

You need Brian to get on your case.. you'll be past 2000 in no time. :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:17 pm 

dcas wrote:I must say that I chuckle every time I see your signature!! :lol:

Ah, you just made my day.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:17 pm 

dcas wrote:Look, I get that some of you are annoyed at STS. Why, I have not yet fathomed. One would think that the opinions of a capitalist would be welcomed in a forum where many people buy and sell games for profit. In any case, it's pretty lame to attack someone personally ('assclown', 'troll') just because his opinions about the economics of collecting differ from yours.

I am not sure what your stake in this is David.  STS is a trouble maker and he has been a trouble maker since he first started posting on this forum 6 weeks ago.  Its not just that he has differing opinions about economics, its the fact that he continously tried to force his differing opinions on everyone else here.  If you would bother to take a look and read some of the crap that he writes, you might actually understand where just about everyone is coming from.   Like for instance:

viewtopic.php?t=5150

Someone came here looking for help on the value of an item and this is the response that they get:

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
The only question you need to ask is "what is it's worth to you".

This of course is exactly what the person in question was looking for, a snotty smart ass, go away remark. Yeah, thats what this site site is supposed to be about. :roll:  STS is the poster of the year.

PreviousNext