record price?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:17 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
I meant Inverness. Thanks for so politely correcting me.

If his intent isn't to sell it, why list it on his site? To display his ownership of it? I'm sure he wouldn't be disappointed if someone took him up on the offer.

Once again, don't take my word for it, take HIS:

dragonstrove wrote:LOL, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to complain about that.  Look, these are my own private copies.  I wasn't really looking to sell them, but I wanted to populate the "collector's area" of my web site.  So I figured out what it would take for me to part with them, and if someone wants to pay it, they are out of here.

Do I believe that will happen?  Probably not.  Am I trying to establish a new value for them?  Nope.  Did I just buy them and am looking to flip them for a quick buck?  Nope, got them probably 8 years ago.   But I have this new fangled web site that lets me show pictures, and well I have noticed that these have suddenly become one of my most viewed items, so people have obviously visited the site.

There you have it.  

Michael

Thats why I posted the old link, so you could read it for yourself.   If you are going to read up on all the old posts and act like you have actually been a member here for more than 6 weeks(and no I do not count your two posts last January as service time either), then you might want to get your facts straight before popping off.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:25 am 

Thats why I posted the old link, so you could read it for yourself.   If you are going to read up on all the old posts and act like you have actually been a member here for more than 6 weeks, then you might want to get your facts straight before popping off.

STS

Last edited by Sea-to-sky-games on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 am 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
His original comments are perfectly consistent with my observations (that is, he'd take the sale, but is doing it primarily for display). He values the Inverness at exactly $3000. That is, he'd be 100% indifferent between having the $3000 and having just the module.
I am really glad you worked that out for him.  :roll:  I really love how you try to shoe horn someone else's thoughts into to your own faulty economic theories on buying, selling & collecting.

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Believe it or not Brian, but all sellers do this. For instance, you do the exact same thing when you sell all your smaller items, except your reservation price for those items is obviously a lot lower.

They do???? Are you know also speaking for myself and all other Ebay seller out there too???  I could list tons of sellers who don't do that, as a matter of fact a quite a few of those people actually also frequent this site.  You might want to ask their opinions about how they price their items before trying to make broad generalizations and acting you know what the hell you are talking about.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:36 am 

In the immortal words of Paul Revere:

The Red Troll is coming  :!:  The Red Troll is coming  :!:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:41 am 

I am confused with the discussion here. The first link on the thread shows the item is still available and has not been sold.

$2,060.05 with the BIN still active.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:43 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I am confused with the discussion here. The first link on the thread shows the item is still available and has not been sold.

That's interesting.....very interesting

Does this mean he has 2?

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Last edited by Kosh Vorlontay on Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:44 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I am confused with the discussion here. The first link on the thread shows the item is still available and has not been sold.

There was originally two for sale, but now one of them has been bought and one still remains:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0059893889

:)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:46 am 

Wow. That is a high price. Maybe the guy won the lottery.  :)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:22 am 

He could be pretty wealthy and also misled by the Acaeum prices.  While the index lists a M Tsojconth at $1150 (book value (?)  :wink:  ), if you look at the last few prices from auction in the description, it looks like prices might be on a fast climb - as there are two big recent figures towards the end.  If I recall from the discussion on T&T's pricing - they actually used one or more of those prices as a guide for their sales listing.  Now we have seen the last three go for $1366.76, $965.00 and $1120.75 (unless I am missing some :D )- so a possible downward trend, and we can see that they guy wasted nigh on a thousand dollars.  But if he is busy (or busy and rich  :D ) he might never know.  I was happy to scoff at T&T's methods, but maybe they have a point...  :roll:

ps. to be clear here I am not suggesting that Acaeum should update its prices realtime, or even that regularly - that's not what I think it is for.  Simply that with some rares people may see a rapidly rising prices where they are not.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:35 am 

red_bus wrote:He could be pretty wealthy and also misled by the Acaeum prices.  While the index lists a M Tsojconth at $1150 (book value (?)  :wink:  ), if you look at the last few prices from auction in the description, it looks like prices might be on a fast climb - as there are two big recent figures towards the end.  If I recall from the discussion on T&T's pricing - they actually used one or more of those prices as a guide for their sales listing.  Now we have seen the last three go for $1366.76, $965.00 and $1120.75 (unless I am missing some :D )- so a possible downward trend, and we can see that they guy wasted nigh on a thousand dollars.  But if he is busy (or busy and rich  :D ) he might never know.  I was happy to scoff at T&T's methods, but maybe they have a point...  :roll:

ps. to be clear here I am not suggesting that Acaeum should update its prices realtime, or even that regularly - that's not what I think it is for.  Simply that with some rares people may see a rapidly rising prices where they are not.

He's probably some guy with money that doesn't want to mess around...I bet he's indifferent to whatever the price is. Look at BC's tracking of some of his earlier purchases.  He just pays the price and doesn't wait to dick around in traditional auctions and get outbid in the last minute by a sniper. Trust me there are guys out there like this.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:30 am 

Badmike wrote:
For him, it was actually more economical to pay some ridiculous price all at once and get the stuff he needed all at one time, searching for the items actually wasted him money rather than save it.

Mike B.

I know some people like instant gratification, but to me the fun of collecting is in the hunt and in getting a bargain.  Getting it all at once might fill your shelves, but to me it would cheapen the experience.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:39 am 

The Acaeum can hardly be responsible for some guy's purchase decisions.  If there are people out there who do not know that internet sources are not perfect...well...that is a problem the Acaeum cannot fix.

Research on the topic might have gotten the buyer better information...so would coming here and asking questions.

It's great that Troll and Toad got the price they wanted.  Congratulations.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:51 am 

lucyjoyce wrote:
I know some people like instant gratification, but to me the fun of collecting is in the hunt and in getting a bargain.  Getting it all at once might fill your shelves, but to me it would cheapen the experience.

I agree totally. Part of the fun for me is recalling the lowball price I paid for some item. But some collectors are built differently.
  Years ago I met a guy who had just landed a huge paying gig as a corporate lawyer (once again, in the late 90's dot.com era).   His goal was to complete an entire collection of all published TSR items as QUICKLY  as possible.   8O He ended up buying a lot of entire collections for, say, a couple of magazines he needed. I thought it was ridiculous.  However I lucked out for when he moved out of country a couple of years later he sold me all his extras very cheaply.   But to him, assembling a giant collection as quickly as possible was his goal.  Within a couple of months on ebay I believe he had everything except for the super rares (woodgrain, Lost Tamoachan, etc).  He actually became quite frustrated that he couldn't locate these and purchase them easily or quickly.  I have no doubt that at the time, so caught up in his goal, he would have paid whatever monstrous sum was placed on these if they had been offered....
 BTW he's a member of this forum who hasn't posted in several years.... :)

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:11 am 

Ok, I'm not senile.  Here's what Troll & Toad had to say in their own words a while back:

viewtopic.php?p=71777&highlight=#71777

Does anyone really believe the Tsojconth sold for that much, now?  Neat marketing trick, I must admit.  You don't have to be a bclarkie to figure this one out.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Ok, I'm not senile.  Here's what Troll & Toad had to say in their own words a while back:

Does anyone really believe the Tsojconth sold for that much, now?  Neat marketing trick, I must admit.  You don't have to be a bclarkie to figure this one out.

It certainly might raise an eyebrow. But isn't that a bit much in ebay fees to pay to just market/advertise an item?  What is ebay's cut on a giant sale like that?

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:03 pm 

Badmike wrote:
It certainly might raise an eyebrow. But isn't that a bit much in ebay fees to pay to just market/advertise an item?  What is ebay's cut on a giant sale like that?

Mike B.

Well, they buyer is supposed to be from italy, which makes this situation a lot harder to pull off unless the guy who runs T&T knows someone from Italy who would do it on their behalf.  That said, if this is a set-up done by T&T its really not going to cost them anything.  All they need to do is to mutually cancel the transaction and Ebay waives all fees involved.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:04 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Ok, I'm not senile.  Here's what Troll & Toad had to say in their own words a while back:

Thanks D, I am actually glad that you posted that link.  I forgot to report them again for those actions. I have now done so. :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:15 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I am really glad you worked that out for him. I really love how you try to shoe horn someone else's thoughts into to your own faulty economic theories on buying, selling & collecting.

Brian, Mike says that if someone were to offer him $3,000 for it, he would sell. How is that different from what STS wrote?

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:If his intent isn't to sell it, why list it on his site? To display his ownership of it?

dragonstrove wrote:I wasn't really looking to sell them, but I wanted to populate the "collector's area" of my web site.

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:I'm sure he wouldn't be disappointed if someone took him up on the offer.

dragonstrove wrote:So I figured out what it would take for me to part with them, and if someone wants to pay it, they are out of here.

See the parallels here?

PreviousNext