record price?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:22 pm 

one of the troll and toad copies of tsojcanth sold for over 2K -has this item ever sold for that much before?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Posted: seeking arcane knowledge, will pay well for old writings,books,scrolls,alchemist cookbooks, and other odds n' ends that will aid me in furthering my pursuits!

-Thenraine the silver magus

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:27 pm 

I'd have to say so.  :roll:   Wow, I guess that there is just absolutely no accounting for how stupid some people are.  :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:32 pm 

Then again this is the same guy who also bought an Elminster Ecolgies set from them for almost $35.

A The Horde Box Set for almost $65:

An FR1 for just under $65:

An FR14 for $42:

A Glantri Set for $42:

And two Al Quadim Sets for over $20 each:

Yep, a fool and his money are soon to be parted....

Then again, on second thought some "people" here I imagine will claim that this is a price trend.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:34 pm 

just goes to show anything can happen on ebay!

Posted: seeking arcane knowledge, will pay well for old writings,books,scrolls,alchemist cookbooks, and other odds n' ends that will aid me in furthering my pursuits!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:35 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I'd have to say so.  :roll:   Wow, I guess that there is just absolutely no no accounting for how stupid some people are.  :?

Wow, someone just had to have it.  Insanity.  

Many years ago, I was conversing online with a guy who wanted a full set of some paperback pulp hero, can't remember the titles involved.  I offhandedly mentioned I would sell my personal collection for $50 a book, ha ha ha.  He said "Sure, no problem". It was an enormous sum and way overpriced.  I asked him why he was willing to pay that, he said the bought stock in a dot.com (this was in the 90s, yes) and had money to burn. So, there is no accounting what someone who has money to burn can and will do with their dough!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:45 pm 

I asked him why he was willing to pay that, he said the bought stock in a dot.com (this was in the 90s, yes) and had money to burn. So, there is no accounting what someone who has money to burn can and will do with their dough!

Forget for the moment that the relative cost of things (to your income) get driven way down.

It is also worth noting that the more money a guy is making the more valuable is his time. Ask any lawyer and they'll tell you their leisure time is precious. Spending even 10 minutes on eBay to find a better price is just not worth it to him ... let alone spending hours every day looking at auctions to get the best price and the knowledge of the typical market price. [Of course, some people get enjoyment looking for bargains.. but I'm holding everything equal].

In other words, if I was rich I'd be paying premiums for items left and right (so long as I still valued them more than the price I paid) just so I can spend my time on more productive things. By the same token, most of us with modest incomes don't drive across town or spend hours in a lineup to save a couple bucks.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:47 pm 

I recall Dragontrove was offering a Tamoachan for $3,000. I wonder if anyone ever took him up on it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:49 pm 

There is something weird about this guys feedback

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... =-1&de=off

138 feedbacks from 8 members. Guess he doesn't like to 'shop' around

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:50 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:There is something weird about this guys feedback

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... =-1&de=off

138 feedbacks from 8 members. Guess he doesn't like to 'shop' around

i noticed that too!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:50 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
Forget for the moment that the relative cost of things (to your income) get driven way down.

It is also worth noting that the more money a guy is making the more valuable is his time. Ask any lawyer and they'll tell you their leisure time is precious. Spending even 10 minutes on eBay to find a better price is just not worth it to him ... let alone spending hours every day looking at auctions to get the best price and the knowledge of the typical market price. [Of course, some people get enjoyment looking for bargains.. but I'm holding everything equal].

In other words, if I was rich I'd be paying premiums for items left and right (so long as I still valued them more than the price I paid) just so I can spend my time on more productive things. By the same token, most of us with modest incomes don't drive across town or spend hours in a lineup to save a couple bucks.

I knew it! The buyer is not really dumb, he is just lazy or has other better things to do.  :roll:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:52 pm 

First question, are we sure it actually happened?  I thought T&T was the guy that bought his own stuff to "test" some software?  Or was that some other shady guy?  Anyway, the best way to jump up the price on these is to create the illusion that one sold for a new high.

Ok, or the buyer's an idiot.  Anyway, something seems off.  Nobody buys a bunch of low end stuff (a frickin' DL module!) and then says "oh, throw in that Tsojconth, too."  It doesn't add up.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:52 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Then again, on second thought some "people" here I imagine will claim that this is a price trend.

It never fails.....lyrics....beer.....check!

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:53 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:

Interesting, that's EXACTLY what the guy who paid $50 apiece for my books used to explain it to me.  He told me how much he made an hour (can't remember the figure, but it was ridiculous, something like $500 an hour), and told me that his time wasn't even worth putting up ads and checking out stores on the internet to find the stuff (this was before Ebay).  For him, it was actually more economical to pay some ridiculous price all at once and get the stuff he needed all at one time, searching for the items actually wasted him money rather than save it.  I'd love to be able to use that reasoning at some point of my life!!!!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:57 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Interesting, that's EXACTLY what the guy who paid $50 apiece for my books used to explain it to me.  He told me how much he made an hour (can't remember the figure, but it was ridiculous, something like $500 an hour), and told me that his time wasn't even worth putting up ads and checking out stores on the internet to find the stuff (this was before Ebay).  For him, it was actually more economical to pay some ridiculous price all at once and get the stuff he needed all at one time, searching for the items actually wasted him money rather than save it.  I'd love to be able to use that reasoning at some point of my life!!!!

Mike B.

Aaron at Noble Knight has told me pretty much the same thing about some of his heavy-hitting customers.  They don't have time to shop for bargains and would rather supply a want list and then pay the price when the item is found.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:57 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:I recall Dragontrove was offering a Tamoachan for $3,000. I wonder if anyone ever took him up on it.

Its an Inverness and no it hasn't sold yet:

http://www.dragonstrove.com/catalog/pro ... ts_id=5823

If you would take your head out of your ass once in awhile you would have been able to figure that out on your own, but since you would rather read old posts and then act like you know what has been going going on  around here, I guess that you missed that part.  Michael actually posted here several years ago and quite clearly laid out the fact that his intent wasn't really to sell it and thats why he has such a ridiculous pirce on it:

viewtopic.php?p=12152&highlight=#12152

Back to searching for more old posts I suppose...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:01 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:It never fails.....lyrics....beer.....check!

I must be psychic or something.....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:05 am 

bclarkie wrote:

I must be psychic or something.....

It is scary at times BC :twisted:

But I equate you to the guy on the USA show 'Psych'

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:06 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:
It is scary at times BC :twisted:

But I equate you to the guy on the USA show 'Psych'

Ahh, its really not psychic when the behavior is so predictable that it borderline ridiculous. :wink:

Next