I need help from an American about Chaosium
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:45 am 

My problem is: on October, 2 2006 I placed an order (#6149) for limited edition hardbacks for 1 x  Beyond the Mountains of Madness hardback          $59.95, 1 x Masks of Nyarlathotep hardback         $39.95, 1 x Malleus Monstrorum special hardback         $49.95 and 1 x         M.U. Astronomy Club Tee (L)         $15.00. Shipping costs were $ 36. I paid quickly using Verizon and then... nothing arrived. I emailed Chaosium at least five times and I never got a reply. I contacted Verizon and they, very helpfully, gave me Chaosium e-mail   :evil: . Please, is there anybody willing to contact Chaosium via telephone and inquire about my order and a refund?  :?  I'm willing to cover any expenses of course...

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:24 am 

Just out of curiosity which email address are you using to make inquiries about your order?

I have had to ask about orders that I have placed within the last five or six months and I always get an answer.

The two addresses that I have been using to send my inquiries to are:

[email protected]

and

[email protected]

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:13 am 

Did you please the order on their website?
Did you get any kind of confirmation?
Which email have you been writing to?

Contacting Fergie, as specified above is the best person to start with.

Also, if you call them (on Pacific Standard Time) at the phone number specified on the Chaosium website you usually get someone to speak with after just a couple of rings. Which number did you call?

I have never had much delay or problems contacting Chaosium by these methods.

Hope that helps,
Rick

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:47 am 

I bought an item from Chaosium last year.

Then six weeks went by with no reply.

So, I contacted Fergie at Chaosium and he said that my order from the website never showed up on...something..or..other at the Chaosium shipping...place.

Anyway, I sent him the PayPal receipt to show that I had in fact paid.

Four weeks later I got the item I ordered.

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:15 pm 

Sigh... I wrote to every address Chaosium currently uses, starting with Fergie the Shipping Shoggoth and then attempting to contact Charlie, but at no avail. On the Chaosium website the order is processed and entered as shipped, but I got nothing and they do NOT answer to my emails. I'm writing in English, I assure you  :wink: I'm asking for a favour out of desperation for the 200 bucks I sunk in this not-so-blessed order...  :cry:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:17 pm 

rmeints wrote:Which number did you call?

I never called Chaosium by telephone. Costs would be VERY high and I don't have enough trust in my English speaking skills to have a significant conversation, especially considering that some Americans may have very peculiar accents  :wink:

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:54 pm 

I emailed the following to Charlie Crank at Chaosium:

Hi Charlie,
I am a regular purchaser of Chaosium materials and have been very satisfied with the service.
Over on the www.acaeum.com (a forum for original D&D collectors) there has just been a posting from one of your customers from Italy.
viewtopic.php?t=5236&highlight=
Can you help him out?
Thanks,
Jason Williams

A minutes ago I received the following reply:

Hi Jason,
I checked, and his order was shipped by his preferred method (postal service) on November 6th, 2006.
In Sanity,
Charlie
Chaosium Inc.
22568 Mission Blvd. #423
Hayward CA 94541
ph. 510-583-1000
fax 510-583-1101
www.chaosium.com

End of email....on to my opinion:

With that reply my advice is if you purchased by credit card to contact them and file a goods not received claim.

Edit: Charlie, if you get back around to reading this please see if you can dig a little deeper. There are a lot of people on this forum that spend a lot of money on role playing games. In the past both here and on the Call of Cthulhu forums (Yog-sothoth.com, etc.) there are varying degrees of satisfaction with Chaosium's shipping/service. I have yet to have a bad experience but not every transaction goes smooth.

Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:52 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I bought an item from Chaosium last year.

Then six weeks went by with no reply.

So, I contacted Fergie at Chaosium and he said that my order from the website never showed up on...something..or..other at the Chaosium shipping...place.

Anyway, I sent him the PayPal receipt to show that I had in fact paid.

Four weeks later I got the item I ordered.

Mark

Mark

4 Weeks later?   8O  8O  8O

Seems like very poor customer service to me ... they should have expedited your order after their mistake.

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:08 pm 

improvstone wrote:
Mark

4 Weeks later?   8O  8O  8O

Seems like very poor customer service to me ... they should have expedited your order after their mistake.

yea i agree. not the kind of service you should be looking at really, especially from someone as big as that!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:21 pm 

There has been a lot of discussion on this subject recently over at yog-sothoth.com - not simply veerrrryyy slow order processing and also quality issues with some of Chaosium's last couple of new hardback specials.  To be fair they do seem to be still commissioning and producing new material fairly regularly and generally motoring ahead, but Chaosium has picked up a shitload of bad publicity on this issue.

I am generally sympathetic to Chaosium - but only because I love their products.  Small ebay shops manage better customer service, so there isn't really any excuse there.  Most people who play Call of Cthulhu love the stuff dearly and that will carry Chaosium.  But there is a limit to how far.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:59 pm 

The thing that disturbs me is why have they not answered any of the emails from Alexander1968?

I sent the email to Charlie today and had an answer back within the hour.  :?

Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:10 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:yea i agree. not the kind of service you should be looking at really, especially from someone as big as that!

Not to speak for Chaosium, but I think they consist of about 3-ish people these days.  They're not a "big" company any longer.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:15 pm 

grodog wrote:
Not to speak for Chaosium, but I think they consist of about 3-ish people these days.  They're not a "big" company any longer.

fair enough, but in fairness, i work all day, train almost every day around that, look after my kids and do other stuff and i still managed to sell stuff at a much quicker rate...i could sort everything standing on my head in less than 4 weeks man...never mind the other period involved.

if you cant keep a decent service going, well you should either get more ppl to help sort the problem, or not bother at all.

anyway what do i know, i dont even buy from them :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:38 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:I emailed the following to Charlie Crank at Chaosium:

Hi Charlie,
I am a regular purchaser of Chaosium materials and have been very satisfied with the service.
Over on the www.acaeum.com (a forum for original D&D collectors) there has just been a posting from one of your customers from Italy.
viewtopic.php?t=5236&highlight=
Can you help him out?
Thanks,
Jason Williams

A minutes ago I received the following reply:

Hi Jason,
I checked, and his order was shipped by his preferred method (postal service) on November 6th, 2006.
In Sanity,
Charlie
Chaosium Inc.
22568 Mission Blvd. #423
Hayward CA 94541
ph. 510-583-1000
fax 510-583-1101
www.chaosium.com

End of email....on to my opinion:

With that reply my advice is if you purchased by credit card to contact them and file a goods not received claim.

Edit: Charlie, if you get back around to reading this please see if you can dig a little deeper. There are a lot of people on this forum that spend a lot of money on role playing games. In the past both here and on the Call of Cthulhu forums (Yog-sothoth.com, etc.) there are varying degrees of satisfaction with Chaosium's shipping/service. I have yet to have a bad experience but not every transaction goes smooth.

That's not an answer, I'm afraid. The said data were availabile on Chaosium website on My Account page and I already had them. The fact is: I got nothing for my money. More, while Jason got a lightning fast reply, I never got ANY answers. Being European makes you less important as a customer, perhaps because I can't file any claims with US Post Office authorities? I'm disgusted  :x

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:39 am 

grodog wrote:

I am sure thay could find the time to answer me in three months  :x

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:06 am 

Alexander1968 wrote:I am sure thay could find the time to answer me in three months  :x

Here's a possibility.  I dont know what kind of spam blocker they use for their email but they may have your email address blocked so that they dont receive emails from you or anyone else that has the same domain name.  At the last company I worked for, we got a ton of spam from email addresses that originated in the Phillipines or Indonesia (can't remember which) and our exchange administrator blocked every domain name from those two countries that he was able to locate.  Once he did that about 95% of the spam was gone.  But that meant that any legitimate email sent from any of those domain names would also not be received.  And if I am not mistaken the sender will not receive an undeliverable reply, the email just gets quarantined and deleted by the spam blocker.  This might have something to do with why you have never received an email reply from them.  Very small chance of this but I thought I would at least throw it out there.

If you emailed them from a hotmail, yahoo or similar type account then what I mentioned above should not be the case.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:20 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Here's a possibility.  I dont know what kind of spam blocker they use for their email but they may have your email address blocked so that they dont receive emails from you or anyone else that has the same domain name.  At the last company I worked for, we got a ton of spam from email addresses that originated in the Phillipines or Indonesia (can't remember which) and our exchange administrator blocked every domain name from those two countries that he was able to locate.  Once he did that about 95% of the spam was gone.  But that meant that any legitimate email sent from any of those domain names would also not be received.  And if I am not mistaken the sender will not receive an undeliverable reply, the email just gets quarantined and deleted by the spam blocker.  This might have something to do with why you have never received an email reply from them.  Very small chance of this but I thought I would at least throw it out there.

If you emailed them from a hotmail, yahoo or similar type account then what I mentioned above should not be the case.

Overruled  :wink:  My email address finishes with grottadimerlino.com, a domain registered by me in Italy following national and European regulations. More, I gave them another chance and I got my second order in 15 days - fine delivery time. But they kept not answering to my emails.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:33 pm 

I contacted Chaosium just now with an FYI about this thread.  They have an opportunity to stop the damage from spreading.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Next