other TSR dice - explain 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
Armory, Chessex or Gamescience dice - explain 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
other non-TSR dice - explain 8%       8%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 59

Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:33 am 

i started with the mentzer edition (italian of course!): i still have those dice! they were (and are) wonderful!!!

d20-> blue
d12-> white
d10-> black
d8-> red
d6-> yellow
d4-> green

PM-Knight wrote:We started with dice from the EoPT set... <CUT>

wait wait wait!!! i have never seen an EPT set with dice!!!  8O ...all those sold are always without dice! are you sure???  :?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:44 am 

Dragon Dice, light blue set.  Unfortunately they were thrown away by my father after he stepped on the 4 sided because I neglected to clean my room.

That incedent, after the punishment, did lead to our gaming group being allowed to use the dining room table for games after dinner though.

Man that brought back some memories.

Okay, I can't help but ask, but what exactly is a "potato wedger"? - bclarkie

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:24 pm 

Stepped on the D4!  Ouch!  Dice are like caltrops!  The only thing worse might be stepping barefoot on an upturned high heel shoe!

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:38 pm 

I started with chits in the Holmes Basic set and got some "Rainbow" low-impact dice somewhere. I recall it took a month or so before I found any. Were the rainbow dice sold separately? I don't remember if I traded for them or purchased them.

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:57 am 

I'm trying to better sort out the chonology of the TSR Dice...

...and to the best of my understanding:

TSR "rainbow" low-impact dice (from the Holmes set?)

TSR 1981 Dragon Dice (polyhedral or percentile)        (these should be after the moldvay types, they came in the last versions of the Moldvay and Cook sets and the early Mentzer sets)

TSR dice from Moldvay/Cook Basic/Expert Set (pre-dates the  "dragon dice" and Mentzer sets, Usually plae blue or Brown "swirl")       
TSR 1983 Dragon Dice ("gemstone" style)        (Blecvh!!! I don't care about these...)
TSR dice from Mentzer Basic/Expert Sets (oftern pale blue or navy, but also multi-colored, ie, orange, yellow, red etc. maybe the bright colors came later? but I think these were even LOWER-imact than the Holmes edition dice.

I'll try to post pictures of my old dice tonight...

Oh yeah, I started with my Aunts dice which were a combo of the pale blue Molvay set dice and a package of dark blue "Dragon Dice", which I still have with half of the crayon and blister pack.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:07 pm 

I never owned TSR dice until I'd been playing a long time. I actually used simple d6s stolen from Yahtzee and Monopoly. I had a system of my own that would let me "roll a d20" but it wasn't very good (high rolls were very rare) so when I finally got a couple other games that had d10s in them (Chill is the one I recall immediately) I combined d6 and d10 to create a d20. Eventually, I got TORG and I used its d20, which I still have and use sometimes. I have, of course, bought other dice since then, but I have never actually used any from TSR that I am aware of.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:27 pm 

A set just like this:

Purchased these on eBay but I still have my original set somewhere, although as I recall it is battered to hell.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:46 pm 

clangador wrote:I started with chits in the Holmes Basic set and got some "Rainbow" low-impact dice somewhere. I recall it took a month or so before I found any. Were the rainbow dice sold separately? I don't remember if I traded for them or purchased them.

Yeah, I bought mine separately, first the polys and then percentiles later on.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:53 pm 

megnelwil wrote:A set just like this:

[ Image ]
Purchased these on eBay but I still have my original set somewhere, although as I recall it is battered to hell.

NICE!

My friends Holmes set had a red d20 I think... I just e-mailed him to confirm.

Previous