TSR dice from Mentzer Basic/Expert Set 10%       10%  [ 6 ]
other TSR dice - explain 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
Armory, Chessex or Gamescience dice - explain 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
other non-TSR dice - explain 8%       8%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 59

Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:35 am 

I started with a Holmes set with chits & no dice coupon as far I can recall. Those chits were mighty confusing. It took me a while to track down polyhedral dice - a 1981 Dragon Dice polyhedral set. 6 light blue dice with a white crayon, IIRC. I still have a few of them.

For reference -

"Rainbow" low-impact dice:
(photo from a sale by Calithena in the Acaeum Classifieds)

1981 Dragon Dice polyhedral/percentile sets and 1983 Dragon Dice:
http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/miscpages/odd.html

various Armory dice:
http://www.dicecollector.com/THE_DICE_THEME_ARMORY.html

Feel free to post pictures of any of your original dice you still have.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:55 am 

First real dice were some beige/brown 'mud' dice that a friend sold me when he brought a set of brand new crystal dice (how impressed were we)
Before that I went with home made chits and even (I cringe to recall it) home made dice (god knows where the net template for those came from - IIRC the 20 siders were in 2 bits)

(Shudders again at the memory)

(Now I keep all my dice in 2 dice bags and a big plastic box - except the ones that my boys have pinched - they have a love of the crystal ones as well)

And I STILL don't even play - why do I need such things?!

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:01 am 

TSR dice from Mentzer Basic/Expert Set

Course I used the d6's from family boardgames as well.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:31 am 

For our first few sessions, it was whatever we could get our hands on. One of the guys' older brothers worked at the only cool game store in town; we probably got most of the polys from that store.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:19 am 

Dice and crayon/marker from the Red Basic Set.

Those dice are still in my bag. Been with me through the A-series up to now.

Eventually, I will have to build a shrine to hold my dice that have been retired for meritorious service.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:31 am 

Chits from the basic set were my first experience and I sent away for the 5 multi-colored dice.

I still have them.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:13 am 

I honestly can't remember ... the old grey matter is failing me tonight.  

I suspect the person who introduced me to D&D had a range of dice.

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:52 am 

Orange dice from the Mentzer Basic set and Powder Blue dice from the Mentzer Expert set.  Still have many of them.  I remember the time my players hid the powder blue d20 from me.  It was on fire (to their detriment) during one dungeon excursion.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:23 am 

when i bought Q1 and some character sheets, i bought myself some dice while i was there.

i still have them now!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:30 pm 

I started with the rainbow low impacts. Around here we called them "soap dice" for their tendancy to round off and flake apart after being placed in bags with high impact dice.  :wink:

I still have most of them, but they are almost featureless blobs at this point.   :) To me that just means that they have seen a proper amount of usage!

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:14 pm 

I started with the TSR dice that came with the Moldvay boxed set (orange d4, yellow d6, orange d8, yellow d10, pale blue d12 and d20).  I still have them and use them from time to time when I need serious mojo.  They're beat to hell but I love them like no other die (except maybe my swirly limited Torg d20).  When I got the Cook Expert set the next week, it came with two sets of dice (the same kind, only with different colours).  I sold one set to a buddy (it came with pipped d6s, iirc) and kept the other one.  I still have that one as well, and it's in only slightly better condition to the one from the Basic set.  For some reason I'm a bit obsessed at the moment with pickin up more vintage sets.  I got a nice set with a Cook Expert set I bought recently, and two sets in a Holmes set I bought (one of which was a rainbow set like the one pictured above, and the other seemingly a slightly later version of the TSR dice).  Still trying to snag a set of the Dragon Dice with crayon - as yet unsuccesfully, lol...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:37 pm 

We started with dice from the EoPT set, which were two polyhedron dice (20 sides, but numbered 0-9) that were white & rose/purple (not red or pink) colored and regular six-sided. At first we had to invent ways to roll numbers like 1-8 by rolling a 1-10 & 1-6 and then dividing by two and of course rounding up :wink:  I still have a Red & White set of dice for rolling percentages and the White is tens & the Red is ones, which may have been in the rules from the EoPT, but there is no way that I can remember.

Does anyone have something they can reference, just for my own sense of curiousity :?:

Thanks,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:48 pm 

Dice? Bah. You can easily determine almost any random probability with just two coins. (It may take a number of tosses, tho.)

Instead of coins, tho, these days I use my computer mostly. If it lands right side up it's heads, and...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:56 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Dice? Bah. You can easily determine almost any random probability with just two coins. (It may take a number of tosses, tho.)

Instead of coins, tho, these days I use my computer mostly. If it lands right side up it's heads, and...

Frank I would have thought you would have tossed bread rolls  :lol:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:24 pm 

The old school low impacts for me. And I still have them! I also picked up the extra percentile set (white and pink d20s) at the time. One of my 20s rolls like a marble.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:12 pm 

We called the low impact dice that came with the Holmes Basic Set "tank dice" because they looked like battered warriors next to their high impact brethren.

You have to remember that the concept of even  colored dice was new at the time, much less polyhedrals.  You might get red dice in a game...but almost all were white.  So, the original rainbow set was really something.

I retired my low impact dice when the d20 got so chipped and worn that it would land on one of its chipped points with the 20 showing at an angle.

I also have a low impact d30 (one of the originals from The Armory) that essentially does not stop rolling.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:41 pm 

When I first got started playing D&D, we actually had no real dice.  We didn't even always have books for that matter!!  When nobody with a book was handy, we had to go with imagination and as much as we could remember of the rules.  For dice, we improvised by using a handful of 6 siders raided from our regular boardgames.  Some of my fondest memories come from these games.

My first real dice came from the Basic and Expert Box sets, with the Erol Otus artwork on them.  I remember very clearly (and fondly!) coloring in the indented numbers on the dice with the crayons that came with them.  We got one light blue set and one bright yellow set with an odd red D12.

I've collected a few more sets over the years, as gamers tend to do, but I still have all of my old, original dice, and I still use them occasionally in our game today!   :wink:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:24 am 

Dark blue opaque d4, d8 and d20 plus a light blue opaque d12

Low impact I guess

Came as a set from Games Workshop mail order UK in 1980/81

BJS

Next