woodgrain for sale, not
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:49 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
A good start would be not selling things that only a select few people have.  

Actually, next time around I think a good start would be to rope you into it.   :wink:

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:51 pm 

bombadil wrote:Thanks, Mike, I thought the "Chief" part was a nice touch.  He had a few heart-warming qualities, IMO.   :D   Like that, and the shaky camera hand.

Oh and one other thing Stephen, next time you pick an Ebay ID even if you decide to change it later on, its probably best if you don't pick your birth year as part of the user ID, it was the final piece of the puzzle. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:53 pm 

bombadil wrote:
Actually, next time around I think a good start would be to rope you into it.   :wink:

:lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:54 pm 

Ring a ding!
I would like to point out that at NO time did I lie. I did indeed know the seller, and had been in touch with him. I never claimed I won it, I just said "if and when it arrives".
Despite the psychological damage done to certain members, I think it was a great gag. Stephen always comes up with the good ones!

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:00 pm 

From a perspective of a person that mainly lurks on this forum, the lesson that I am taking away from this is that I am interacting with a group of very experienced role-players.  :P

I keep telling my friends that I am not a cynic, I'm a realist!  :lol:

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:02 pm 

And Frank is always a reliable accomplice.  Thanks again, man.   :D

Not that I'm trying to win points here or anything, but for the record:

-Aneoth was not the high bidder when the auction went down (Frank was).
-I decided to pull it down now to avoid any potential conflicts with Paul's RJK auctions and Brian's woody auction.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:15 pm 

I'm not that serious a collector at all, and yet I have this dream where I stop at a garage sale on some rural road in the middle of nowhere for the heck of it, and sitting there on a scratched up card table set up on the lawn among the old Life magazines and grandma's tea cozy collection is a woodgrain set, mint condition, with a tag that reads $2.00.

...yup, that'll happen~!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:16 pm 

bombadil wrote:And Frank is always a reliable accomplice.  Thanks again, man.   :D

Not that I'm trying to win points here or anything, but for the record:

-Aneoth was not the high bidder when the auction went down (Frank was).
-I decided to pull it down now to avoid any potential conflicts with Paul's RJK auctions and Brian's woody auction.

Okay, I can't help but ask, but what exactly is a "potato wedger"? Was I close with my guess or was it something totally different than that?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:18 pm 

Heh, I have no idea, just something I came up with.  Divine inspiration, I guess.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:21 pm 

Potato wedger has been added to my vocabulary, copyright 2007 Stephen Post Productions.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:50 pm 

seeyouinescrow wrote:But, Aneoth, I was planning to be a serious bidder as well, so don't think you had this one wrapped up by any means!  

I'll second that:  if the bids were being held off by the bad seller vibes, and the price wasn't too high, I was certainly going to throw my hat into the ring (I think I was fooled last year, too, for the record ;) ).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:06 am 

I bet there are alot of people out here lurking like myself who were ready to jump in.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly was pictured?  It was hard to make out some of it.  What kind of condition?

If its as good as I bet it is, send me a PM with your price and your location.  I will fly to you for pickup.  Im dead serious  :!:

Okay, I can't help but ask, but what exactly is a "potato wedger"? - bclarkie

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:05 am 

MadMaligor wrote:I bet there are alot of people out here lurking like myself who were ready to jump in.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly was pictured?  It was hard to make out some of it.  What kind of condition?

If its as good as I bet it is, send me a PM with your price and your location.  I will fly to you for pickup.  Im dead serious  :!:

There was nothing really for sale. :)

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:19 am 

Trust is a diffcult thing to gain, yet it is an easy thing to loose.

Frank and Steve were (before this situation) at the very top of my list of highly respected Acaeum Forum members and collectors of D&D products. Never would I have thought either of you my enemies as Frank now asserts. And I still do not think so. Of course never would I have thought either of you capable of such destructive behavior either.

However, this situation has made me re-think that list. At the least the list has been shortened by two names now. Unfortunately so. Actually  is there even need for such a silly list? No, I suppose not, no need for the list at all now....... it has been deleted.

Frank, you command a VERY good reputation (In my opinion a well deserved one) of catching and exposing Fraudulent E-Bayer's including Bad Buyers and Bad sellers on E-Bay. Proud of this standing are you Frank? Stephen how about you? You also have a fine reputation here in protecting this community from the bad guys.

Now I find that the fraud syndrome has eaten you both up as well. And I also learn this is not the first time you (Stephen) have done this either. My absence over the past couple of years made me miss the last instance of this crazy behavior (For that I am thankful). Now coming back to this forum I have learned that both of you have joined the evil crowd you once so enjoyed catching and exposing to the collecting community. You were each people I had thought would be some of the last ones to expect such behavior from.

Stephen and Frank were before this situation two of those whom I certainly thought least likely to create fraudulent accounts simply to get a laugh or two at the expense of those of us who still believe in the inherent honesty of others. Those who I respected beyond a level either of them realize. (Obviously so)

To say that I am disappointed in this situation is to simply and completely miss the overall picture of the damage you two are doing to this forum and E-Bay as well. Are you so bored with your own lives that you must invent problems for others?

I am simply and overwhelmingly disgusted by this entire situation. And I am quite disappointed in myself for trusting in this site for help and guidance for those who wish to be protected from the wolves of E-Bay. I have now learned that the wolves are here too. And they are (Or were) highly respected leaders of this site.

Chaotic Evil behavior without question.

You both broke the rules of E-Bay and both of you broke the unwritten rule of honesty and upright behavior; and as silly and laughable as this will seem to you both, you have broken my trust in you.

Right who cares.......... :roll:

Have another laugh at my expense, but you should know this. I am not the only one whose trust and respect you have ravaged by this situation. Many others on this forum are also exceedingly disappointed in your behaviors during this situation. I am simply the only one to put words to it. Perhaps I do so mostly as it was I who was most foolishly and openly fooled by you two in this situation.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:02 am 

na

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:16 am 

Aneoth wrote:Trust is a diffcult thing to gain, yet it is an easy thing to loose.

Frank and Steve were (before this situation) at the very top of my list of highly respected Acaeum Forum members and collectors of D&D products. Never would I have thought either of you my enemies as Frank now asserts. And I still do not think so. Of course never would I have thought either of you capable of such destructive behavior either.

However, this situation has made me re-think that list. At the least the list has been shortened by two names now. Unfortunately so. Actually  is there even need for such a silly list? No, I suppose not, no need for the list at all now....... it has been deleted.

Frank, you command a VERY good reputation (In my opinion a well deserved one) of catching and exposing Fraudulent E-Bayer's including Bad Buyers and Bad sellers on E-Bay. Proud of this standing are you Frank? Stephen how about you? You also have a fine reputation here in protecting this community from the bad guys.

Now I find that the fraud syndrome has eaten you both up as well. And I also learn this is not the first time you (Stephen) have done this either. My absence over the past couple of years made me miss the last instance of this crazy behavior (For that I am thankful). Now coming back to this forum I have learned that both of you have joined the evil crowd you once so enjoyed catching and exposing to the collecting community. You were each people I had thought would be some of the last ones to expect such behavior from.

Stephen and Frank were before this situation two of those whom I certainly thought least likely to create fraudulent accounts simply to get a laugh or two at the expense of those of us who still believe in the inherent honesty of others. Those who I respected beyond a level either of them realize. (Obviously so)

To say that I am disappointed in this situation is to simply and completely miss the overall picture of the damage you two are doing to this forum and E-Bay as well. Are you so bored with your own lives that you must invent problems for others?

I am simply and overwhelmingly disgusted by this entire situation. And I am quite disappointed in myself for trusting in this site for help and guidance for those who wish to be protected from the wolves of E-Bay. I have now learned that the wolves are here too. And they are (Or were) highly respected leaders of this site.

Chaotic Evil behavior without question.

You both broke the rules of E-Bay and both of you broke the unwritten rule of honesty and upright behavior; and as silly and laughable as this will seem to you both, you have broken my trust in you.

Right who cares.......... :roll:

Have another laugh at my expense, but you should know this. I am not the only one whose trust and respect you have ravaged by this situation. Many others on this forum are also exceedingly disappointed in your behaviors during this situation. I am simply the only one to put words to it. Perhaps I do so mostly as it was I who was most foolishly and openly fooled by you two in this situation.

Please do not judge this forum on the actions of a few.  It really is a fun place to be.  The last time Stephen did this it was very funny, this time it just did not go off as planned.

later
jeff

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:19 am 

Aneoth wrote:

I can see both sides to this.  On one hand, I believe the first post I had here mentioned along the lines of "Sounds like an elaborate in-joke"  The entire auction, from top to bottom, didn't pass the smell test.  This falls under the heading of "prank", as when someone is "pranked" aka "Gotcha!" is yelled after one is put over on an unsuspecting victim.  In that respect it suceeded admirably.  Please everyone re-read the listing. From the fact it was in the wrong section (Sports!!!), to the ridiculously small picture (then the silly blurry photo afterwards), to the unresponsive dude who called everyone "chief" (sounds like my junior high athletics coach, ugh), to the silly and nonsensical descriptions and sayings in the descriptions, etc etc etc, this was a nose tweaking of the highest order from word "Go".  For those that thought "Well, if there is a one in a million shot that this is the real thing, I'm going to treat it like the real thing and go for it", well, there is something called "The Lotto" and we see why we never win, because this was the other 999 thousand times it doesn't work.  The purveyors of the prank played the game fairly.....they left PLENTY of red flags available to the wary (I'm so cynical of stuff like this I'll probably drive by a bag of money on the side of the road someday thinking to myself "It's probably just a set up for a reality show...."), they didn't FORCE anyone to bid on what was a non existent item, and stopped the "auction" once it got heated.
   On the other hand.....
   Ok, another one of my interminable stories (feel free to tune out and pick it back up later in the paragraph). Many years ago, the D&D group I hung out with had these two friends who were girls several years younger than us...basically they were in high school while we were in college, and were friends of friends.  They would come over when we played D&D or watched ballgames and hang out. They were too young to go to clubs or out drinking with us (and we didn't let them play D&D they were too silly). So one day, to get back at us, they called us during our D&D game (which happned to be on April 1st..) and told us they had been picked up for speeding and in a case of mistaken identity, were thrown in the drunk tank of the local jail, could we PLEASE come and get them.  They were intentionally vauge about what city jail they were in, so we couldn't really find them.
   To make a long story short, we were so frantic we had at one point called a lawyer, and the girl's parents, and had begun calling all the city jails, until they called us up with an "April Fool"! To say they got the most obscene lambasting on the phone in the history of April Fool's jokes is probably an understatement.  We were PISSED (not to mention the game was ruined for that night).  It took a lot of apologies on their part and assurances this would never happen again for them to regain our trust. We tried to explain to the girls that a certain level of trust had been violated through the methods used, that it wasn't "funny" to let your friend think you were spending a night in jail.....
    While this incident is not the level of that epic snafu, I think when the trust of the forum is at risk perhaps there is something to this.  Personally, I thought the prank was well done and "fair" in that anyone who logically approached the situation should have seen it coming.  However, as we should have known, when it comes to rares and super-rares, logic is thrown out the window.  Emotion takes over and people do and say many things they wouldn't normally in the "heat of battle".  Everyone wants to be the one who gets "The deal of the century" for bragging rights, and the competition is heated, particularly when it comes to something like a woodgrain. Ironically, if the fake auction had concerned, say, some mint 1st print PHBs, or EGG signed supplements, I don't think with the stakes that much lowered it would have gotten this heated.  I would like to think that if I fell overboard a ship with a woodgrain in my hands, at least SOME of you guys might give me a hand in addition to rescuing the box  8O , that's how sought after the item is.
  So, just to finish, I personally was not bothered by the prank, but I can see that there are some who were.  Maybe to err on the side of caution, more care should be put into gauging the reactions of those "pranked" in the future and deciding if it's really worth it in terms of hurt feelings and lost trust. I haven't lost any respect etc for the guys involved...at the end of the day it was a hoax.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:22 am 

Blackmoor wrote:
Please do not judge this forum on the actions of a few.  It really is a fun place to be.  The last time Stephen did this it was very funny, this time it just did not go off as planned.

later
jeff

i can only agree in the same stance. try not to be too harsh about things John. i have dealt with both stephen and frank and BOTH have been exceptionally kind to me, way far and beyond what is really required, and can only vouch for them both as being great guys and yes, i would place my trust in them very much. i have also dealt with you too and know youre a great guy as well.

it was just meant as a prank and they are both renowned for it. its not my idea of fun i have to say, but that said, its not really damaging.

i hope y'all can patch things up and be ok about it. as we all know, this site is more than just a few individuals and you cannot tarnish everyone with the same brush.

anyway, what do i know.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext