woodgrain for sale, not
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:58 pm 

I still can't figure this one out.

I really thought BC was on to something w/ a DL39 hoax, but since that doesn't seem to be the case. As for my involvment, I found the auction about 2 hours after it had been listed, and well before it was posted here. Admittedly, I thought it may be a hoax/scam, but I contacted the Seller right away with a Buy it Now offer provided he could provide more info/pictures...as unlike many here, I do not own a Woody, and would really like to! Within 2-3 hours he had gotten back to me, and his response did seem genuine. He stated that the item didn't seem to be getting the interest that he thought it would, and if things didn't pick up soon, he would take me up on my offer.

Well, I was hoping that it would fly under the radar a little longer, but it didn't, and soon was posted here. At that point, I figured that a B.I.N would be off the table, as the hits and bids would start coming...and they did. Once Frank made the intial bid, I threw in my $20.50 bid just to "mark" the item for later. I was still hoping to bid on this, as I was willing to gamble on it being legit, and was going to charge to my credit card anyway, as BadMike suggested, in case it wasn't. For what it's worth, I'm pretty upset that the auction was taken down, as I thought this was a least a chance to get a Woodgrain at a decent price...but I'm sure they'll be other chances (BC's got one up now) :wink:

I agree, that once an items got bids, trying to work out a BIN behind the scenes is underhanded at best, and I wouldn't do it.
But, Aneoth, I was planning to be a serious bidder as well, so don't think you had this one wrapped up by any means!  :wink:  :lol:

Hopefully, someone will fess up to the hoax, or we can get some kind of resolution on whether or not it was legit.

Wow...this might be my longest post ever!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:06 pm 

Okay, boys, IT WAS ME!  AGAIN!   :D

John, easy there big fella.  Frank's a good guy, and we had our fun.  Sorry if it upset you.  That wasn't the point.  I wasn't gonna fess up, but now that I see the trouble it's caused, I have to wade in and keep Frank from taking more fire.

Just an early April Fool's joke, though that doesn't imply that Frank and I won't be back in a month and a half...

Ah, there were SO many layers to this one.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:09 pm 

:oops:

Fooled again!!

Oh well...at least it was by one of the best  :wink:

But it still doesn't answer the question of what gives with the ladies' undergarments!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:13 pm 

seeyouinescrow wrote:I still can't figure this one out.

I really thought BC was on to something w/ a DL39 hoax, but since that doesn't seem to be the case.

Oh, I still think that it was hoax and I am still fairly certain that DL was involved, I am just fairly certain that he had some help on this one.   :wink:   Another thing that I would like to point out is your very own statement:

seeyouinescrow wrote: Within 2-3 hours he had gotten back to me, and his response did seem genuine.He stated that the item didn't seem to be getting the interest that he thought it would, and if things didn't pick up soon, he would take me up on my offer.

Think about this statement for a second.  Now consider this was a newbie seller, supposedly the first item he has ever sold, lists a 10 day auction(in the wrong category at that!)and after a few hours he is disappointed at the lack of response to it????  His own auction description goes out of its way to act like he has really no clue what he is selling, yet he still claims to be disappointed that he isn't getting any action on an unknown quantity after a few hours?  Going above and beyond the fact that it has already been pointed out that his seeming lack of knowledge of what he is selling  clearly contradicted in his own auction description with his "crappy 3rd edition being for girls" comment, if he has supposedly no clue what he was selling, there is no way in hell that he could or would be  disappointed that he had not gotten any type of response on it, even if he would have listed it in the correct category.  The seller, by claiming ignorance of what he was selling,  would have absolutely no point of reference to be disappointed, so this is clearly a steaming pile of horse puckey that you were being told. :wink:  This thing was simply an elaborate but not so iron clad hoax.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:30 pm 

Hmmm, taking all of that as very good critique for my next hoax.  I see there are some rough edges I need to sand down to perfect this art.

As for the "undergarments", well, think "trade-bait".   :D

Actually, those were all legit.  I'm a very lucky guy...

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:46 pm 

bombadil wrote:Hmmm, taking all of that as very good critique for my next hoax.  I see there are some rough edges I need to sand down to perfect this art.

As for the "undergarments", well, think "trade-bait".   :D

Actually, those were all legit.  I'm a very lucky guy...

A good start would be not selling things that only a select few people have.  The last time it was the Warriors of Mars that gace you away for sure, this time it was the Yellow Chainmail. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:46 pm 

bombadil wrote:Okay, boys, IT WAS ME!  AGAIN!   :D

John, easy there big fella.  Frank's a good guy, and we had our fun.  Sorry if it upset you.  That wasn't the point.  I wasn't gonna fess up, but now that I see the trouble it's caused, I have to wade in and keep Frank from taking more fire.

Just an early April Fool's joke, though that doesn't imply that Frank and I won't be back in a month and a half...

Ah, there were SO many layers to this one.

Well, congrats. You did leave a lot of clues, but then again a lot of people WANT to believe in something like this, so everything doesn't have to make sense. I would suggest next time making the buyer a little less of a 'tard....it was just a little over the top.  Although I did like the way he called everyone "chief".....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:48 pm 

Thanks, Mike, I thought the "Chief" part was a nice touch.  He had a few heart-warming qualities, IMO.   :D   Like that, and the shaky camera hand.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:49 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
A good start would be not selling things that only a select few people have.  

Actually, next time around I think a good start would be to rope you into it.   :wink:

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:51 pm 

bombadil wrote:Thanks, Mike, I thought the "Chief" part was a nice touch.  He had a few heart-warming qualities, IMO.   :D   Like that, and the shaky camera hand.

Oh and one other thing Stephen, next time you pick an Ebay ID even if you decide to change it later on, its probably best if you don't pick your birth year as part of the user ID, it was the final piece of the puzzle. :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:53 pm 

bombadil wrote:
Actually, next time around I think a good start would be to rope you into it.   :wink:

:lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:54 pm 

Ring a ding!
I would like to point out that at NO time did I lie. I did indeed know the seller, and had been in touch with him. I never claimed I won it, I just said "if and when it arrives".
Despite the psychological damage done to certain members, I think it was a great gag. Stephen always comes up with the good ones!

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:00 pm 

From a perspective of a person that mainly lurks on this forum, the lesson that I am taking away from this is that I am interacting with a group of very experienced role-players.  :P

I keep telling my friends that I am not a cynic, I'm a realist!  :lol:

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:02 pm 

And Frank is always a reliable accomplice.  Thanks again, man.   :D

Not that I'm trying to win points here or anything, but for the record:

-Aneoth was not the high bidder when the auction went down (Frank was).
-I decided to pull it down now to avoid any potential conflicts with Paul's RJK auctions and Brian's woody auction.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:15 pm 

I'm not that serious a collector at all, and yet I have this dream where I stop at a garage sale on some rural road in the middle of nowhere for the heck of it, and sitting there on a scratched up card table set up on the lawn among the old Life magazines and grandma's tea cozy collection is a woodgrain set, mint condition, with a tag that reads $2.00.

...yup, that'll happen~!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:16 pm 

bombadil wrote:And Frank is always a reliable accomplice.  Thanks again, man.   :D

Not that I'm trying to win points here or anything, but for the record:

-Aneoth was not the high bidder when the auction went down (Frank was).
-I decided to pull it down now to avoid any potential conflicts with Paul's RJK auctions and Brian's woody auction.

Okay, I can't help but ask, but what exactly is a "potato wedger"? Was I close with my guess or was it something totally different than that?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:18 pm 

Heh, I have no idea, just something I came up with.  Divine inspiration, I guess.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:21 pm 

Potato wedger has been added to my vocabulary, copyright 2007 Stephen Post Productions.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

PreviousNext